Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #1

Just Venting (possibly)

First let me state that we are newbies, so during our orientation walk through we felt overwhelmed. We have been boaters for a long time so when getting a new one we have a pretty good idea on what to look for but with an RV we are clueless.

We took our 31UL, that we purchased at the end of January, in for some minor stuff to be ajusted or fixed. One of the adjustments was to raise the TV in the salon an inch so that the remote worked properly. The service guy said that he is not sure that the adjustment would be under warranty but he would "try" to get Jayco to cover it!

If I get charged the $120/her labor fee for the adjustment I will be talking to Jayco. From reading this forum and IRV2 I have noticed several owners have the same compliant, in fact the service guy said he had just fixed another unit with the same problem (Jayco did cover it). He insinuated that we should have noticed this during the walk through.

I guess my irritation is that there is even a question about this being under warranty.

So anyway, new buyers beware and SIT DOWN during the walk through and try the remote with the TV!
Old 04-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #2

The trouble with any PDI is that you will not catch everything. A really good dealer will be your advocate and work with you. That doesn't preclude Jayco from saying no, but keep in mind, and remind the dealer that the warranty is 2 years, not the 90 minutes during the PDI.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Site Team

We had the same problem in our fifth wheel. I always thought that the newer remotes would work even if the remote was not a line of sight shot to the tv.....Wrong, must be old technology. I raised mine up 1.5 inches by moving a few bolts around and putting a 2 x 4 underneath the bottom rest. It goes down behind the fireplace so it's not visible. We have an aftermarket remote that works just fine but does not have all the features of the main one.

You are right, it is something that is a irritant and should be picked up by a engineer before hitting the consumer. Another idea would be to use a recliner that was 2 inches higher.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

My question would be, if the service guy had recently fixed another unit with the same problem, why didn't HE catch it during PDI... or better yet, during prep of the unit before PDI...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
My question would be, if the service guy had recently fixed another unit with the same problem, why didn't HE catch it during PDI... or better yet, during prep of the unit before PDI...
X-2 for sure.He should have also notified JAYCO of the common flaw.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

I have not generally posted warm and fuzzy things about my dealer... But I will say their advocacy for warranty issues has been stellar. I have had the alignment done twice with none of the haggling and headaches many on this forum have described. They have worked on all of my slides to properly align them and this winter they found cracks in both my front pillars and arranged for their replacement immediately.

From a dealer perspective... It only makes sense, unless I completely misunderstand how warranties work. They bill Jayco and are reimbursed for the labour. Warranty issues keep their shops alive.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

I had my tv replaced because the wires scratched it when going up/ down. They replaced with a cheap TV that I could not change channels with the remote unless standing up. I took it back and they replaced with the original model TV. Everything fine now
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

I had the same problem with my TV. It is a two minute fix. Just loosen the four screws that mount the TV to bracket and slide it up one inch. The bracket has about two inches of slide adjustment to it. Just have someone lift the TV when you are loosening and tightening the screws. Very very easy fix.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote