Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #1

Keeping batteries charged during winter

Being a newbie Class A RV owner I was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions about keeping batteries charged during the winter.
1. If I’m hooked up to shore power, does that keep my batteries charged?
2. If yes to question one, will that keep my engine battery charged as well?
3. If I do need to remove my batteries and put on a charger, do I need to do anything special with the cables when cranking my engine or generator for occasional run time?

Thanks, Tim
TimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #2

yes to question no 1 and no for no 2, for your chassis battery you will have to buy a small intelligent battery charge that is not to expensive , and then you just plug the charger in an outside outlet and hook your battery on that charger that will delivery a very small but regular amount of amps to your chassis battery and your battery will be kept all time fully charged

2018 jayco ht eagle 30.5 mlok
chevrolet Silverado 3500 gas dually wheel 2011
pc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #3

Shore power should recharge your coach batteries. But the starter battery is not usually connected to that system. You can add a Trik-L Start system (https://amsolar.com/rv-battery-accessories/98-trikl) to your coach to keep the starter battery charged at all times. Under $60, and easy to install yourself.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #4

Well first of all you don't tell us the year and model Class A you have so no one can answer the question correctly.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

2021 Jayco Precept
TimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #6

If you want to know, at your current rate of discharge, how many hours your battery will last before you reach 50%, you might consider adding the Victron Smart Shunt
This connects inline to the negative battery cable. Here is what I see on my phone:

Notice it shows I have 8hours and 19minutes remaining as well as my current usage. This shows in real-time so I can decide which appliances to use and their impact. It took me about a half hour to install it and I got it off Amazon. I just looked and it's on sale for $130. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #7

I have 2 Battery Tender Jr. brand units. One keeps my group 27 RV battery all winter and the second keeps my little garden tractor battery that I bring inside. By the way , 4th !!! year on the 6 month guarantee garden tractor battery. Never went beyond 2 years before even with storing indoors.

There has been some discussion on wearing out your converter leaving it on all winter vs. a battery tender of some sort that cost a lot more if they fail. And I would assume they use more electricity even in standby than a tender will.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimParker256 View Post
Shore power should recharge your coach batteries. But the starter battery is not usually connected to that system. You can add a Trik-L Start system (https://amsolar.com/rv-battery-accessories/98-trikl) to your coach to keep the starter battery charged at all times. Under $60, and easy to install yourself.

x2, I did this years ago, but instead used the amp-l-start, which just allows more amperage if needed to the starting battery. It's been working perfectly for years.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post723032
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, cables, engine, power, shore