Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMckee777 View Post
Purchased an Ohuhu 12.5 ft telescoping ladder from Amazon $89 on special; fits in bottom of storage compartment, takes about 3 inches of height, weighs 25 lbs. Love it and can access roof with ease. Can be used at different heights so much more versatile than stationary ladder, IMHO.
Nice ladder, but still could not get on my RV roof with it. Not supposed to step on the top 3 rungs, which are 12" apart so you lose over 2' of use, and as someone who used to do roofing being on the top rung of a 12' ladder is not very stable, or safe. I only need to get on the roof a few times a year, using a 5' large platform step ladder (4lb Aluminum) for cleaning the windows or coach. I have seen many people fall from ladders, mainly because they did not keep their weight centered on the ladder, and close in, or used an extension ladder and forgot the lower section in offset and thus missed that step while descending. Any ladder is only as safe as the person using it.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #22
Site Team

Can't stress ladder safety enough. After coming off a 6' wooden ladder (that should've been cut up and burned 50 years ago) ungracefully, now the DW is my forever spotter. I was only two rungs up, cleaning the sides. Shattered my radius bone to the point of surgery to install a brand new titanium plate. Some lessons are learned hard.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Can't stress ladder safety enough. After coming off a 6' wooden ladder (that should've been cut up and burned 50 years ago) ungracefully, now the DW is my forever spotter. I was only two rungs up, cleaning the sides. Shattered my radius bone to the point of surgery to install a brand new titanium plate. Some lessons are learned hard.
Sorry to hear that, hope you're better. But yes, ask any emergency room Dr and he will tell you he sees a lot of ladder accident injury's. I was nailing down slip sheeting with a nail gun walking backwards (1st mistake) and walked right off a roof, lucky for me there were shrubs and not concrete below me. Most ladder accidents are not the ladders fault.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Sorry to hear that, hope you're better. But yes, ask any emergency room Dr and he will tell you he sees a lot of ladder accident injury's. I was nailing down slip sheeting with a nail gun walking backwards (1st mistake) and walked right off a roof, lucky for me there were shrubs and not concrete below me. Most ladder accidents are not the ladders fault.
Thanks, yup, all better thanks to a great doctor. I don't bounce off the ground like I did 20 years ago! Your trip off the roof had to be VERY scary. Thank goodness you landed on something softer.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #25

We have a extendable ladder that folds into 3 or 4 sections. It's very heavy and rides on the front pass thru. But it is sturdy and long well over 12 ft. I am not fond of heights but I found I can set the ladder to the front of the right slide, climb up, and use the slide top as a handhold and last step. Works for me.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #26

No ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
We also had dealer install. Jayco can give you ladder model and location of blocking. got to love the law

OK so when we picked up our Alante 31V The dealer did not have ladder installed. After a lot of excuses they get a ladder but couldn't install because it was to cold. Tired of waiting I had them ship it to my house. Here is the problem, the ladder is for a Precept. It is to long due to Alante having the boxed bumper. After a bunch of back and forth between dealer and Jayco it was determined that Jayco doesn't have a ladder for the Alante. I now have a useless Precept ladder the dealer refunded me the cost saying it would cost more to ship back.
Can anyone give me a make and model of ladder they used on an
Alante 31V
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #27

I had to use a generic ladder from CW because of the same issue with Jayco not making one for my Alante, I will try to find the make/model. Be SURE to get the rear wall BLOCK diagram from Jayco CS, as normally there are only backing block to screw the ladder too on one side. And when looking at the diagram be sure of the VIEW orientation as mine was from the inside, making the view reversed when looking at the rear from outside.... this is how I ended up with TWO ladders on the back, CW strikes again!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I had to use a generic ladder from CW because of the same issue with Jayco not making one for my Alante, I will try to find the make/model. Be SURE to get the rear wall BLOCK diagram from Jayco CS, as normally there are only backing block to screw the ladder too on one side. And when looking at the diagram be sure of the VIEW orientation as mine was from the inside, making the view reversed when looking at the rear from outside.... this is how I ended up with TWO ladders on the back, CW strikes again!
Thanks, I got the diagrams from Jayco and you are right the view is from inside. Guess I'll make a trip to CW with blocking diagram and see what we can do. On our other MH one of the first things before a trip was a check of the roof making sure all seams were sealed, and cleaning off mud dobber nest from AC fan blades (sure does make a lot of noise if you don't). Really don't want to take up storage room with a ladder
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #29

Exactly the same reasons I had a ladder installed, and add in needing to clean off the solar panels occasionally. Be sure to put a screen over your black tank vent while up there, we had a thousand flies from a vault toilet invade us via that route.