Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Ladder

Has anyone installed a ladder to access the roof? If so which ladder and who installed? I have an 2018 P31 Alante.
KHabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHabie View Post
Has anyone installed a ladder to access the roof? If so which ladder and who installed? I have an 2018 P31 Alante.
62 views and not 1 reply????
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 AM   #3

I just did a forum search on "ladder installation" and got 103 results. Something there should help or get you started.
herbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #4

Had the dealer install the laser as part of the purchase. According to the dealer Jayco quit including them for “liability” reasons. Took four months to get the ladder and about an hour to have it installed. According to the dealer the support blocks were there for mounting the ladder It is installed on the drivers side, looks good, and works for me. Hope that helps
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
62 views and not 1 reply????
I'm guessing those 62 folks didn't have an appropriate answer for you....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
Had the dealer install the laser as part of the purchase. According to the dealer Jayco quit including them for “liability” reasons. Took four months to get the ladder and about an hour to have it installed. According to the dealer the support blocks were there for mounting the ladder It is installed on the drivers side, looks good, and works for me. Hope that helps
I don't believe the "liability" story. Jayco went through an extended period, months, where their supplier was unable to ship ladders to them, due to manufacturing problems. So I think this experience led Jayco to re-think whether they could get away with eliminating ladders entirely. I got caught in the middle of that mess when my 2014 Melbourne needed a replacement ladder, and I got an earful about the disruptions that Jayco manufacturing was struggling with. At least they were surprisingly candid about the cause of inordinate delays. Hence the ladder was "engineered out" of my 2017 Precept 31UL, which I dislike. So now the question is: Can an owner like me order a replacement ladder for a 2016 Precept and have somebody install it with no problems, or did they also eliminate structural pieces behind the scenes, needed to drive the screws into?
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
RWK

i was told by dealer they could order me one and install it. Can't recall the cost as I'd put enough money into the coach by that time and opted out of spending more. I don't like heights anyway, LOL
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:58 AM   #8

My Dealer said "no", and since I'm still under warranty, that was the end of that. I sure wish I could see the roof and inspect it.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #9

I dont trust or like the RV ladders so I bought a Lil'Giant ladder for $110. Much more stable, versatile and can carry a load up without over weighting it. It's great for cleaning windows, debugging the front cap and misc maintenance not on the roof.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #10

I have a ladder, it came standard on my 2015. That being said, I wouldn't get one again. Two holes in the roofing membrane are never a good thing. The ladder is very flimsy anyways.

My father in law has an expandable ladder that he stores in one of his compartments and can expand and place where ever he needs it. He uses a foam noodle on the top rungs to spread the weight and prevent damage to his siding. I pretty much only use the ladder to get on the roof and clean off my slide, so a ladder that I could place against the siding and simply climb up and blow off the leaves would be so much easier.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #11

I installed a ladder on the back of my 2016 Alante 26AY to access the solar panels and clean the roof and slide toppers. I had Jayco CS send me the rear wall block diagram and purchases a ladder from CW and had them install it. On the 26 it can only be installed on the passenger side as that is the only side with backing blocks. If you wish to install one get the block diagram from Jayco for your model and year as they may change them from year to year. I carry a step ladder to clean that huge windshield but didn't want to take up precious cargo space hauling around an expandable ladder.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #12

I do buy the liability issue to an extent. Just another reason they might elect not to include the ladder on every RV. For some units, that's a long way up there, and many RV owners are over 55 years of age. That can be a bad combination, as we middle aged folks aren't quite as steady on our feet as the average 30 year old. Add to that the curious and inquisitive neighbor kids seeing a great opportunity to climb on your roof to check things out, and you have a potential recipe for disaster. Some of the ladders they do put on taller rigs are a fold-up design. Partly it's for access to storage cabinets they may want to design in the same space, but also I believe it limits the chance that little kids will be tempted to try to climb it.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #13

By the way, a personal injury lawyer would have a field day with your homeowner's insurance company (and possibly with you for the remainder over and above your insurance coverage limits) if the neighbor's 10 year old fell off your RV.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
By the way, a personal injury lawyer would have a field day with your homeowner's insurance company (and possibly with you for the remainder over and above your insurance coverage limits) if the neighbor's 10 year old fell off your RV.
I have the ladder with the folding lower section so it is very hard to reach. This would be another case of people not taking responsibility for their own actions, always point the finger at someone else. As my coach is in my RV area behind a locked gate he would be trespassing on private property to even get access to the RV, plus he would have to get past my dogs.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #15

Is attaching the ladder really bad fo the roof membrane?
Old 10-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Is attaching the ladder really bad fo the roof membrane?
Not really if done correctly, think of all of the other pass-thru's on the roof for vents, AC, and plumbing, no different.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #17

Ladder install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
We also had dealer install. Jayco can give you ladder model and location of blocking. got to love the law
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
We also had dealer install. Jayco can give you ladder model and location of blocking. got to love the law
That's what I did, no problem. Those people without a ladder, how do you clean your roof, or the slide toppers, or any solar panels you might have? Just curious. I used to hang out of helicopters for a living so heights are not an issue. I am older, pushing 70, but I still hike, scuba dive, run, and stay fit, so climbing a 10' ladder is no problem. I am not about to take up most of the space in one of my storage compartments for a ladder I don't need.
We had a wind storm in Tahoe, and the toppers were loaded with pine needles and even a couple of pine cones, without a method of accessing the roof I would have taken the chance of ruining the toppers.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #19

Purchased an Ohuhu 12.5 ft telescoping ladder from Amazon $89 on special; fits in bottom of storage compartment, takes about 3 inches of height, weighs 25 lbs. Love it and can access roof with ease. Can be used at different heights so much more versatile than stationary ladder, IMHO.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #20

Ladder

Have a ladder on my 16 Eagle never use it,to fat to old! Generally only get on the roof a couple times a year. Use my trusty extension ladder!Even with the jacks down its still too wobbly for me! Thanks just notice Christmas Lights flashing again.Yeah
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote