Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2024, 02:17 PM   #1

Ladder Install

My 2020 Alante 29S Doesn't have a ladder. How do I find the studs In the back wall? Is the roof walkable?
HappyKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 02:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKamper View Post
My 2020 Alante 29S Doesn't have a ladder. How do I find the studs In the back wall? Is the roof walkable?
May not be any blocking for a ladder, but yes the roof is walkable.

Ask for the rear wall schematics..

https://www.jayco.com/contact-motorized-service/
Old 05-27-2024, 08:22 AM   #3

Yeah, I requested achematics. Hopefully there are some horizontal and vertical mounting locations. Im not sure how thick the back wall plywood is...Crazy how they wouldn't have installed a ladder at the factory.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:34 AM   #4

Just FYI. Many RV'rs prefer a ladder like this one, even many who already have a ladder attached to the RV. The main reason is the better angle when using it (vs the vertical ladder pre-installed on many RV's) and with the ability to use it anywhere around the RV (such as checking and cleaning the slideout tops). I use this style as well and prefer it over the permanently attached ladder and I would suggest that this may be a better option for you. I would purchase and use one of these instead of installing a rear ladder to the RV. ~CA

(btw, the ladder referenced is simply to show you the style of ladder, there are many sellers of these and slight variations of the designs. I would check the reviews of all similar ladders as I am not necessarily stating this is the best ladder of this style although, it is listed as a best seller).
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 05-27-2024, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Yeah, I requested achematics. Hopefully there are some horizontal and vertical mounting locations. Im not sure how thick the back wall plywood is...Crazy how they wouldn't have installed a ladder at the factory.
If it wasn't a standard or option I doubt there will be any blocking. The plywood behind the FILON is probably 3/16 tops.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Just FYI. Many RV'rs prefer a ladder like this one, even many who already have a ladder attached to the RV. The main reason is the better angle when using it (vs the vertical ladder pre-installed on many RV's) and with the ability to use it anywhere around the RV (such as checking and cleaning the slideout tops). I use this style as well and prefer it over the permanently attached ladder and I would suggest that this may be a better option for you. I would purchase and use one of these instead of installing a rear ladder to the RV. ~CA

(btw, the ladder referenced is simply to show you the style of ladder, there are many sellers of these and slight variations of the designs. I would check the reviews of all similar ladders as I am not necessarily stating this is the best ladder of this style although, it is listed as a best seller).
Yes, one more thing to store, but that's probably what I will have to get.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:01 PM   #7

If you do get one of those extending ladders, be very careful with the weight loading as they are somewhat flimsy the cheaper ones at least. Also, be careful of the angle that you use leaning that type of ladder.

I use a small non slip rug wrapped around the top rung to help keep the ladder from sliding against the slippery RV wall. And if too large an angle, the ladder bends a bit more than I would like and I am only 190 pounds.

I use two heavy duty suction cups that I can put on the roof to assist getting
on and off the ladder as my ladder only reaches to the top of the RV.

I store the ladder in the back of the Jeep on moving days, since all my Bays are either full or the ladder will not fit.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes, one more thing to store, but that's probably what I will have to get.
I have the 16' version and love it. It fits flat in a basement compartment in my 36T.
jubalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:45 AM   #9

I use the extendable ladder on my 2019 34G. I do wish it had come with a ladder but as someone above said it is very handy to have that ladder as I can move it all around the RV. It doesn’t take up very space. What I do is I throw a rope over the RV to the other side and tie it to something. Then as I’m going up the ladder or going down I can hold that rope and it really steadies things. I just feel much better doing it that way. I like the idea of the suction cups. I’m gonna look into that. They would certainly not stick to the roof, but I guess you they would stick to the top of the smooth side. Mine was from Harbor freight and I think it’s rated for 275 pounds. Not sure.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:34 AM   #10

One more tip if you buy a portable ladder to get up there. My RV is 12‘8“ high and you wanna make sure the ladder is physically at least say 16 feet long. The way they sell some of these ladders is they say this letter is good for access up to say 16 feet. But that ladder may be only physically 12 feet long. In other words you can stand on maybe the second or third run from the top and reach up to16 feet. Trust me, you want that ladder to be at least a few feet higher than the top of the RV to steady yourself going up and down.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:13 AM   #11

Ladder

Thanks for all of your help. I purchased the 16 ft telescoping ladder and it fits perfectly in one of the outside storage areas. It's quite useful for getting to all areas of the RV including the roof. I was originally hoping to get a permanent ladder so I could hoist my kayaks up to the roof and create a platform to store while driving. I did this on 2 different fifth wheels and it worked great.

Tags
blueprint, ladder, roof, studs