Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

leveling and Norcold Fridge

Good Evening Group.

I understand that the RV should be level for the fridge to run correctly. In my old class C, it appeared that the fridge really was very finicky and would work pretty much at any off-level.

Fast forward to my 2018 Precept with the Norcold Propane/120V. It appears to be much more demanding in terms of leveling. Currently, at home, my driveway tilts down and the fridge wont work. I am more than a full bubble off.

I have just put the front up 4 lego blocks high and I am off a half bubble still. Turned the fridge on and I will check it in the morning.

Anyone else experience this?
fizikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

Yes, I have a little over 3% grade on my driveway. In my 2018 Alante, it will light and work, but will quit working over time if not level.

Norcold states the refrigerator is made to operate within 3° off level side-to-side and 6° off level front-to-back (as looking at the front of the refrigerator). Operating it at more than these limits can cause damage to the cooling system and create a risk of personal injury or property damage. Make sure the vehicle is level before you operate the refrigerator.

If you are at a half bubble, that should be about 2% off level depending on the level.

FYI …… If you have an iPhone, there is a built in level which will show the degrees. It was in the Compass app, in iOS 12 they moved it to the Measure app ……
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Norcold level

Never could get fridge to work in my driveway. Thought something was wrong. Put torpedo level in fridge and freezer and read pretty close. The coach has to be pretty much perfect for this unit to work.
Frustrated, I put a bunch of blocks under landing gear and a 2 ft level on floor in front of entry and went to manual level. Got it dead nuts and fridge worked great. Never could get it with auto level.
One thing about the Precept, it is naturally high in back end so even sitting on flat level surface the front has to come up. Want to change to a resident but haven’t found one close enough to size needed with good reviews.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #4

Count me in with the sloping driveway also. I have made some blocking to raise the front end of my coach and now have made it part of my routine when I return from a trip. Makes it easier to get ready for the next outing when I want to have the fridge cold and the slides out for packing. It is a bit of a pain but at this stage of my life I am not moving nor am I reconstructing my driveway.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

Strange, my driveway slopes down and I put the coach nose down and ready to leave before a trip. Turn fridge on two days early with coach facing the other way and it just keeps on working.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote