Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #1

location of fuse for rear camera/radio on 26X

New to this forum. I have a 2017 26X and blew the fuse for the rear camera/info center in center dash. Accidently let the battery pos/neg cables touch when I was reconnecting after storage for winter (PET PEEVE- why doesn't the main power switch ACTUALLY disconnect the battery? if you don't manually disconnect the battery, the house batteries are dead in a month.)
After that incident, no display on info center. I've verified no blown fuses in fuse panel (in this model, in panel by bed), no blown fuses in fuse panel under dash by drivers left foot, no in-line fuse that I could see in center console behind radio, 10A fuse in back of radio is OK. All checked with VM. Obvious fuses by house batteries are OK too. Unless this fuse looks like a relay type. Any help?
puttereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:56 AM   #2

Do any of the other cameras (mirror cams) work? If not, did you check the 3 amp fuse which is part of the camera controller? You will have to pull the front off of the radio/entertainment unit to get to it.
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #3

all cameras are not working. I took the display off the radio/entertainment center (a Pioneer unit) but no visible fuse behind it. Do I need to dis-assemble the display case? BTW, I also checked the Triton vehicle fuse box which was moved to engine compartment (if you Google fuse panel location on Ford Triton, it shows a panel by the passenger's foot). I've checked every location I can think of, I am going to hate to bring it in to replace a 25 cent fuse.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttereng View Post
all cameras are not working. I took the display off the radio/entertainment center (a Pioneer unit) but no visible fuse behind it. Do I need to dis-assemble the display case? BTW, I also checked the Triton vehicle fuse box which was moved to engine compartment (if you Google fuse panel location on Ford Triton, it shows a panel by the passenger's foot). I've checked every location I can think of, I am going to hate to bring it in to replace a 25 cent fuse.
Did you look behind the driver side kick panel?. I know, "A DUMB PLACE", but they use to hide a fuse holder or 2 behind that.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #5

I did find a fuse panel on the firewall by the driver's left foot but not behind a kick panel. I realized this was not the Ford Truck fuse panel as this fuse panel is kind of flimsy. That's when I found the Ford Triton fuse panel inside the engine compartment. Still haven't located a blown fuse anywhere, I even took the Pioneer display panel apart, no fuse inside the module. Sometimes an add-on radio, you would find an in-line fuse but if there is one, it's not behind the center console area. But I think Jayco would plan this info center with the rear and side cameras so there must be a fuse somewhere.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:02 AM   #6

One other thing, when the fuse blew, you may have totally screwed the camera controller. On our Alante, when the left side mirror was taken off (another story) it actually shorted and screwed the camera controller. Jayco dealer replaced the mirror and cabling to said mirror, but no cameras would function. I replaced the $90 camera controller (will not go into why I did not let the dealer do this) and the cameras now function as they should
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #7

When you say camera controller, what does it look like? You're not saying the entire radio display unit? That would be more than $90.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
When you say camera controller, what does it look like? You're not saying the entire radio display unit? That would be more than $90.
The camera controller/switch on my 2021 Precept 34G looks like this (see pic below). I took it out when I installed my new dedicated camera monitor... here's my link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
camera in switch.jpg  
Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #9

Thanks, I was able to locate the controller and trace back and found an inline 3A fuse (this is where being old was a disadvantage, I know what an inline fuse USE to look like, this one looks like a connector). Anyway fuse was still good and I was able to verify 12V was still available so I did blow up the controller. What good is a fuse if it doesn't protect a $90 piece of gear? The engineer for this ought to be flogged!! Found the exact part number on Amazon but wondering how/why this camera controller would disable radio too. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks, I was able to locate the controller and trace back and found an inline 3A fuse (this is where being old was a disadvantage, I know what an inline fuse USE to look like, this one looks like a connector). Anyway fuse was still good and I was able to verify 12V was still available so I did blow up the controller. What good is a fuse if it doesn't protect a $90 piece of gear? The engineer for this ought to be flogged!! Found the exact part number on Amazon but wondering how/why this camera controller would disable radio too. Thanks for everyone's help.
Just for clarification, is it the cameras only that are not working or the entire Radio\display head that is not working? Many radio\entertainment systems have a fuse in the back of them, if you know and can tell us which model radio\display you have (assuming the entire unit is not getting power), then perhaps someone with that model will know or perhaps the manual for it can be looked up online which may tell if there is a fuse at the back of the radio\display head unit. ~CA
Old 04-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
A fuse wouldn't help you in this situation.... i.e., a fuse is to prevent an over amperage draw by the device(s). If I understand your situation correctly, you shorted at the battery terminals and the camera controller did not draw over the fuse rating. My guess power somehow when though your chassis ground? How do you know the cam controller isn't working, especially with your radio/monitor not working?

good luck,
Mark
Old 04-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #12

I did find a 10A fuse in the back of the radio (Pioneer display/radio). On this model, it is hidden by the connector that connects most of the signals. You have to remove the connector to access this fuse. This fuse was still good. I'll update when I replace the controller, hopefully radio will come back to life.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
I did find a 10A fuse in the back of the radio (Pioneer display/radio). On this model, it is hidden by the connector that connects most of the signals. You have to remove the connector to access this fuse. This fuse was still good. I'll update when I replace the controller, hopefully radio will come back to life.
Other than the camera video, does the radio work otherwise? If no, it's most likely not the cam controller. If yes, then I think you may have a fix?

Mark
Old 04-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
A fuse wouldn't help you in this situation.... i.e., a fuse is to prevent an over amperage draw by the device(s). If I understand your situation correctly, you shorted at the battery terminals and the camera controller did not draw over the fuse rating. My guess power somehow when though your chassis ground? How do you know the cam controller isn't working, especially with your radio/monitor not working?

good luck,
Mark
I guess that's a good question. I guess I can try hooking up a monitor to one of the camera connections as a test. But earlier post by stustoner leads me to believe it's the culprit especially since the cause may have been shorting out which is basically what I did.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:33 PM   #15

Quote:
I guess that's a good question. I guess I can try hooking up a monitor to one of the camera connections as a test. But earlier post by stustoner leads me to believe it's the culprit especially since the cause may have been shorting out which is basically what I did.
I would suggest to simply disconnect the video inputs from the radio for a test, if the radio still doesn't turn on then you need to determine why that is prior to purchasing a new camera controller as being disconnected would remove it from the possible reasons the radio doesn't turn on. Perhaps checking for voltage at the radio would be the next step and if there isn't any, then start working your way back. Jayco has a diode radio power connecter inline (at least on mine and most) that could have an issue especially if it got shorted out. ~CA
Old 05-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #16

update- fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I would suggest to simply disconnect the video inputs from the radio for a test, if the radio still doesn't turn on then you need to determine why that is prior to purchasing a new camera controller as being disconnected would remove it from the possible reasons the radio doesn't turn on. Perhaps checking for voltage at the radio would be the next step and if there isn't any, then start working your way back. Jayco has a diode radio power connecter inline (at least on mine and most) that could have an issue especially if it got shorted out. ~CA
Took me over a month to get back to this, had to put RV back in storage (see side note at bottom). I Googled the wiring diagram for the Pioneer unit and saw one of the 12V wires was named constant 12V. I tracked that wire to a bundle behind the console that contained 2 inline diodes under some heavy shrinkfit. Removing the shrinkfit, the diodes actually weren’t on this wire but I thought maybe it did a return loop somewhere but the diodes turned out to be good. I also found 2 diodes in the engine compartment fuse box which also turned out to be good.

Further tracking of this wire led me through engine compartment, under chassis to the cabin batteries where I found a blown fuse. Now this is one of the first fuses I checked and I thought was good. Thinking back (reversed the battery connection in Jan) the RV was at the storage facility and I didn’t have a DMM with me. I checked that fuse visually. DUH! And when I brought the RV home I didn’t retest that fuse, instead ripped into the console. That mistake cost me at least 3 hours. The fuse still looked OK except for a tiny break, it wasn’t one of those obvious blown fuses.

Anyway all is good, radio is back on, side and rear cameras work. And one of the best outcomes of this whole ordeal is now I know what fuse to take out when I winterize. Now the house batteries won’t die after only a month of inactivity. It does mean I have to reprogram the radio stations every time I use the RV but I think small price to pay.

On a different topic, I live in a city that doesn’t allow you to park an RV (oversized vehicle, over 22’ long or 9’ tall) on your own property, not even in your back yard. It’s a regulation that the city doesn’t enforce unless someone complains. And my DUMB ASS neighbor complained. And this is after they bought their house AFTER me, knowing full well I had a RV parked behind my house under a 14’ tall carport that can’t be seen from the street. Her complaint was that she could see it from her “en-suite” room. For those not in the real estate business, that’s the room you take a **** in. Just venting...
Old 09-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #17

update

After finding the fuse to fix my cameras and radio, I didn’t realize I had also blown a fuse for the charging circuit to the house batteries. The batteries were charging with engine on but not while plugged in or with generator. I knew I had an inverter somewhere but didn’t know where it was. On this 26X it is under the bed and can only be reached with the bed extended and under a panel of plywood. I found the inverter but it wasn’t the inverter, I had blown 3 25A fuses to the RV Converter/charger (Inteli-Power model PD9260C). Hopefully will save someone some time if they did something stupid like I did.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #18

Quote:
After finding the fuse to fix my cameras and radio, I didn’t realize I had also blown a fuse for the charging circuit to the house batteries. The batteries were charging with engine on but not while plugged in or with generator. I knew I had an inverter somewhere but didn’t know where it was. On this 26X it is under the bed and can only be reached with the bed extended and under a panel of plywood. I found the inverter but it wasn’t the inverter, I had blown 3 25A fuses to the RV Converter/charger (Inteli-Power model PD9260C). Hopefully will save someone some time if they did something stupid like I did.

If it makes you feel better, I did the same. Lol. In my Alante 31V the other day.

Keep those fuses handy!

280Pcs-Car Fuses Assortment Kit,Blade-Type Automotive Fuses,Automotive Fuses-Standard&Mini&Low Profile Mini(2A/5A/7.5A/10A/15A/20A/25A/30A),Replacement Fuses for Car/RV/Truck/Motorcycle

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DJSK9L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z6APV0H4YZT0ES1D79EY?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote