Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #1

Looking for awning information

Yesterday I rolled out my awning to let it get some air and dry out and I turned on the awning lights. This is the strip of LED lights that is inserted in a channel on the awning. To my dismay there are about a dozen random lights that don’t work. I traced the wiring and found the plug where the light strip plugs into and it looks like it should be a fairly easy replacement as the light strip is held in the channel by a light adhesive backing. I don’t see any way one could go about replacing individual lights. So I went to look for my awning manual and I could not find any documentation in any of my paperwork and I’m one of those people that don’t throw anything away until it’s been out of my possession for at least 5 years. Just kidding. Seriously, how do I go about finding out who the awning manufacturer is? I could not find a nameplate anywhere either. I will call Jayco next week but I would like to do a little research beforehand. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Should be a carefree awning.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

Thanks, Dave. You are right. I was able to look up the owners manual online and though it did not show a specific model it did list Carefree of Colorado as the manufacturer. Carefree’s website shows the light strip which is available for different awning lengths. Now I need to talk to Jayco about how to acquire a replacement under warranty.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:04 AM   #4

Jayco replaced a light strip in warranty for me. Now out of warranty and same problem. As time goes by more LEDs go out.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #5

Same problem for me. Jayco has replaced the strip for me once under warranty and will be doing it again next week before my warranty expires.

The strips do not tolerate water very well because the leds usually start dying after washing the underside of the awning.

I figure when the next trip begins to fail I will eliminate the roller tube strip and install a strip at the top of the coach directly under where the awning is attached. I can get power from the existing led wiring where it exits the coach body and still use the awning light switch.

Led lighting strips are cheap, when I did my fiver a 16’ strip was $18 or so. Use 3M automotive tape to secure to the coach.

I prefer body mounting because you can still use the lights without having the awning extended or just have it partially extended.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

It looks like carefree sells a couple of different led strips. 30 or 60 lights per meter(39 inches). I haven't taken the time to count mine to determine what I might need for replacement when and if. LOL Mine are still working on the 2016 31ul.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote