Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

macerator by pass

We have a Jayco 2018 Precept with a macerator. both the gray and black water tanks empty into the macertor without a by pass valve. Just wondering if this model should have a way to empty the tanks without going into the macerator first??
dkoltveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #2

We have the same setup on our Entegra Emblem and Jayco motorized told me the system is designed to pass through the macerator whether your grinding or not. I do think that with the switch off the macerator hose is bypassed otherwise it would fill.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #3

thanks i ran across a problem when the macerator hose got a leak. i went to the gravity dump system, but the gray and black water still got in the leaky hose because they both feed out of the macerator . i dont know if this makes sense , but it seems like if you have a problem with the hose, there is no way to empty without getting a mess from the leaks
Old 10-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #4

Hmmm....

It really makes no sense for that hose to fill if your just gravity dumping.

It’s a good question though and I would probably ask Jayco motorized. If you never plan to use it are we just hauling a hose full of waste around?
Old 10-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #5

This is one of the reasons I finally removed the macerator as I never used it and the hose would fill up and start smelling. I did first install a ball valve where the hose connects to the macerator then I ended up just capping it off and removing the hose but after a year of never using the macerator I removed it and reconfigured my whole wet bay to my liking, adding a divider panel between the fresh and waste side and adding a power fresh water hose reel. I just never liked the idea of waste water under pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
75540204_2378304388934854_8256278678925737984_n.jpg   73417760_764142330682118_6588557356223692800_n.jpg   73515524_583147955790281_3288732243245137920_n.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

Interesting, I have a gate valve to isolate the SaniCon system.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

thanks again. a gate valve in this unit would have made sense for sure but it was not built that way
Old 10-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

If you’re winterizing the unit it really makes no difference if you have a gate valve or not everything will have antifreeze in it

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #9

The macerator hose does not get bypassed, ever. If you spring a leak in the hose, you got a smelly problem. Check out this Seneca isolator valve. Inexpensive, easy to install, and very effective.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...did-39900.html

Post #3 has a picture.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #10

I love my sh_t grinder! The only time my macerator hose gets stuff in it is when I run the macerator. Maybe mine is plumbed properly. And no pin hole leaks!
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #11

I've had two macerator hoses go bad from pinhole leaks. Used the stinky slinky for a long time but the macerator hose never filled with waste. When using macerator I'm very careful draining the hose when I'm done dumping, using gravity and elevating the hose since there's a decent amount of liquid in the hose laying on the ground.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #12

When is spoke with Jayco about this I was told nothing should enter the Sani con hose when gravity dumping. Only time anything should ever enter hose is if the macerator pump is turned on even if just momentarily turned on.

Is everyone saying this is not the case?
Old 11-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #13

No, I think Vicr and I said nothing enters our macerator unless it's turned on.

Old 11-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
No, I think Vicr and I said nothing enters our macerator unless it's turned on.
Thanks, my coach is. Entegra Emblem so very similar but looking at where all my valves are etc...

It’s hard to see how anything can get it hose unless macerator is on.

Just trying to understand the plumbing more.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #15

Macerator Gravity Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
When is spoke with Jayco about this I was told nothing should enter the Sani con hose when gravity dumping. Only time anything should ever enter hose is if the macerator pump is turned on even if just momentarily turned on.

Is everyone saying this is not the case?
I am thinking Jayco misled you about stuff not passing through the macerator when it is off. I say this because, with my Jayco Precept, I can leave the gray water valve open while I am camping and the water drains through the macerator when it is not running as we wash dishes or take showers. I close the gray water valve before our last shower so I can use the gray water to flush the macerator and hose after I dump the black water. Since the hose is flushed with gray water last, I do not get any odor.

My Precept has a bypass standard sewage pipe but I think it is purely for an emergency in case the macerator dies. The stuff still goes into the macerator and liquids get through. But it's better than not being able to dump the black water solids which would probably not pass through a non-functioning macerator.

On the subject of macerator hose pin leaks, I have had it occur when my hose got older and brittle. The hose sheathing is very thin. So it might be wise to carry a spare which I have yet to get. I plan to purchase a spare which they sell on-line.

The macerator is nice in that it forces everything out of the system quickly and the hose stretches far and is easier to deal with. Like all other appliances, however, it is just something else that can fail so the thought of removing it and going back to the standard old system has crossed my mind.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #16

My post above should have said nothing goes thru the macerator unless a gate valve is open. As hikerjohn7 reports I also when parked install the macerator hose into the sewer and then open the gray valve. It flows without switch on.

Hikerjohn7 you may be able to get a free covered hose from the mfg. I did. They asked me serial number of sanicon unit (sorry you gotta crawl under) and @time my hose was last replaced by jayco. They have their own warranty on hose and unit. They were very helpful and shipped new hose to an RV park in Florida where I was at. So far new hose I good for one year. If the old hose layed on gravel or concrete it would wear and create pinhole leaks.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #17

Macerator Hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
My post above should have said nothing goes thru the macerator unless a gate valve is open. As hikerjohn7 reports I also when parked install the macerator hose into the sewer and then open the gray valve. It flows without switch on.

Hikerjohn7 you may be able to get a free covered hose from the mfg. I did. They asked me serial number of sanicon unit (sorry you gotta crawl under) and @time my hose was last replaced by jayco. They have their own warranty on hose and unit. They were very helpful and shipped new hose to an RV park in Florida where I was at. So far new hose I good for one year. If the old hose layed on gravel or concrete it would wear and create pinhole leaks.
Thanks for the info.

I also had the Jayco replace my leaking hose. And I can see how concrete and gravel could tear small holes in the hose's plastic lining since the plastic is so thin. The thin plastic probably gets pinched between the hard surface and the internal steel wire spirals.

It's probably good to be gentle with the hose when you pull it our of its storage box and lay it on the ground.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #18

Since my macerator pump quit working I have decided to just eliminate the entire unit and clean up the area. I am trying to figure a way to remove the macerator box and re-plumb. It seems to go from one fitting to the next with no pipe I can cut in to to add the fittings I need.
I would appreciate some suggestions on the best way to attack this.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
078ABB84-ED90-4B76-A135-21417BD1106C.jpg   429A35C0-B61C-47B0-90F9-0EE0EBA23CE8.jpg   584D8CC2-2799-45BE-B5C4-F65B26E2B52C.jpg  
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Since my macerator pump quit working I have decided to just eliminate the entire unit and clean up the area. I am trying to figure a way to remove the macerator box and re-plumb. It seems to go from one fitting to the next with no pipe I can cut in to to add the fittings I need.
I would appreciate some suggestions on the best way to attack this.

Thanks.

When I removed mine, I cut as marked in the picture and left the hub section that was glued onto the previous section of pipe. Then I used the Fernco fitting in the Amazon link that one end slips over the hub that was left and the other end is ready to accept 3" ABS and you can build your new sections from there. I ended up doing mine twice as I didnt like the first setup. The final version is I ran it all the way to the front of the compartment and 90'd down to a bayonet connector and then a Rhino clear swivel 90° with a short 3' flex hose with a cap on the end. To hook up the drain hose I just open the port in the floor swivel the hose toward the port in the floor and drop the 3' flex hose out the hole. then I flex it up and pull the cap off and connect my drain hose....never spill a drop this way. I did keep the main dump valve in the new section of plumbing. I made a metal bracket that I bolted to the forward compartment wall that is shaped to fit the new drain pipe and ran a hose clamp around the bracket and pipe to stabilize it. Works great and dont miss the macerator one bit. When I did this mod, I completely rebuilt the wet bay and moved all the fresh water related to the right side and all the sewer related to the left with an aluminum panel between them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
i-RVg3JbX-X2.jpg   i-LRMbhsh-X2.jpg   i-BQKRfkx-X2.jpg   i-f3rDzZw-X2.jpg   i-mhsz8Sk-X2.jpg  

i-TTVPtCW-X2.jpg  

Old 10-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #20

Just looked back at your pics and yours looks a little easier to access than mine way but you can cut where the pic is marked and the Fernco fitting can slip on right there.
Attached Thumbnails
078ABB84-ED90-4B76-A135-21417BD1106C.jpg