Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

Manuel Electric Reset

I own a 2021 Jayco Precept Prestige and no matter what I am using electrical hook up. About every 3 to 4 days my electricity shuts down and the only way to regain power is to unplug wait 30 seconds plug back in and everything comes back on. Any ideas on a fix?
Squirelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Sounds like you may have an onboard surge protector. I would check your systems and if so see what the surge protector is saying is the issue. If not, could be a loose connection somewhere in the coach.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #3

Where would the on board surge be located and what does it look like
Old 07-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

Did you buy the RV new? If so, did your dealer put it in? If not, did the previous owner mention one? They don't normally come with one, but what you're describing sounds like you have one, but you may not.

Tell us more about the issue... Does it happen regardless of where you plug the RV? Different campgrounds/RV parks all yield the same results? Is there any combination of items being used at the time this happens? ACs and Microwave at the same time? Have you been able to reproduce it at-will or is it random? I assume a 50-amp coach, and you are connecting to 50-amp circuits? Is the cord hot when this happens? Are you tripping breakers on the outside panel? inside panel? Are you using any converters to change from 50amp to 30amp or lower?
Old 07-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #5

Bought it new. Went to a camp and store for a month. No problem. Electricity did not shut off. That was last year. Took it to a camp and store in May this year and after 4 days we returned to rv and refrigerator was off. Now no matter what we are plugged into, usually 50 amp around every 4 to five days the refrigerator, 2 theater seats, 2 tv ‘s and some receptials shut down. All breakers are on but the only way to get back to full power is to unplug from the 50amp, wait 30 seconds and plug back in. Then I’m good fo another 4to 5 days.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #6

To find the problem, a voltage meter could be of great value. What I suggest is when the problem occurs, instead of disconnecting, check the voltage coming in and out of the transfer switch. If you have both legs coming in with voltage but not the same coming out of it then the transfer switch is the issue. If you don't have the voltage on both legs coming into the transfer switch then the issue would be before the transfer switch and if you have an ems (most likely you do) then also check the voltages in and out of the ems and then all connections that exist, working your way back to the power cord. I would normally suggest to start at the RV pedestal you are plugged into, but in doing that first then you end up taking away the condition that occured and once everything is working again, it is much more difficult to find what had happened. ~CA
Old 07-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirelink View Post
Bought it new. Went to a camp and store for a month. No problem. Electricity did not shut off. That was last year. Took it to a camp and store in May this year and after 4 days we returned to rv and refrigerator was off. Now no matter what we are plugged into, usually 50 amp around every 4 to five days the refrigerator, 2 theater seats, 2 tv ‘s and some receptials shut down. All breakers are on but the only way to get back to full power is to unplug from the 50amp, wait 30 seconds and plug back in. Then I’m good fo another 4to 5 days.

Appreciate the background, very helpful. Based on the items you said are not powered, I think this may have something to do with your inverter. The fridge, TVs, power recliners, and a couple recipticals will be on the inverter. The inverter's job is to turn the 12VDC electricity coming out of your house batteries into 120VAC power to power household items from the house batteries.

Confirm this by checking your panel and verifying if the inverter is on or off when this happens. It could be that the inverter is overheating and shutting down or the batteries might be running down. I asume that when this happens, the rest of the AC power is still working ok? Air Conditioners, microwave, other outlets, etc... all still work when the fridge and TVs go off?
Old 07-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #8

My first rv please explain ems and where it would be located
Old 07-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #9

EMS - Energy Management System

Are you are 50amp coach or 30amp? Does your plug have 4 prongs or 3?
Old 07-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #10

It is set up for 50, 30 or house current. When camping I usually use the 50.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #11

Which were you using when the power stopped working? 50? That means you have an energy management system, so if you are on lower power connections such as 30 or 15 amp, then you may have been running the fridge from the Inverter and ran the batteries down. How is it currently set? 50, 30, or 15 amp?
Old 07-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #12

I was on 50 with inverter on. Does this help?
Old 07-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #13

It sounds to me like your Inverter is shutting down or running the bateries down. Next time it happens, check the voltage on the house batteries. check the EMS and see if its set to 50amp. You can choose which type of connection you're connected to, make sure its set properly. If you're on 50amp connection, and the EMS is set to 50amp, then the inverter may be having issues. Try shutting it off. If you are connected to 50amp circuit, you don't need the inverter, you only need that to operate the fridge, recliners, and TVs while driving (not connected) and not running the generator. Best to reach out when the issue is happening and we can help troubleshoot in real-time. Hard to troubleshoot something after the fact and even harder since we don't have the same coach/systems, so in the meantime, try to read up on your systems and their operation, mainly EMS and inverter operation.

Main thing is make sure the EMS is set to the proper input amperage. In other words, if you are on a 50amp circuit make sure the EMS knows that or it will shed loads to make sure you don't exceed the limits set on the EMS. So if you have it set to 15amp, then it may be shedding the inverter forcing it to run off the house batteries until they die.

If the EMS is set properly, then it could be an issue with the inverter, try turning it off next time you connect at a campground. Its no longer needed at that time. If that works, then you may have a faulty inverter or pulling too much load on those recepticals causing it to overheat and shutdown.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #14

I take it out next Thursday we try it then. Never was explained about the inverter. I have it on when I’m hooked to a 50 amp. Sounds like step one is turn off inverter before going 50 amp?
Old 07-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #15

When hooked up to electrical, the inverter is no longer needed. The purpose of the inverter is to change the 12VDC from the batteries into 120VAC for the appliances. When you have electricity plugged into the coach, its not needed. I would try turning it off once connected and see if those appliances (fridge, TVs, etc) still work. They should. If they do not you have a different issue.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #16

I appreciate the input and once I hook up I’ll turn off the inverter(s) . I think there are 2, 1 at the entrance and 1 in the basement compartment opposite side. Will reach out after I try some of your suggestions.
Thanks
Pat
Old 07-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #17

I’m an RV newbie, so this may not be correct, but…. with a new 2021 Class A RV with a 50A system, I would expect that you have a combination inverter/converter/transfer switch. Do you have a control pad like the one in the picture?

Assuming you do, you shouldn’t have to shutdown it down when you plug into shore power (whether its 30A or 50A). It should automatically transfer (switch) sources for you. If you do shut it down, I think you may cut all power off.

As it is a new 2021 have you called the dealer?
Attached Thumbnails
20201227_214701295_iOS.jpg  
Old 07-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #18

I did call Jayco but so far no one has a clue. They think it’s normal. But not sure. All I know is first time I had it set up on a site for a month, no problems. The second time I set it up for a month power would shut off after 4or5 days.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #19

Electrical issues can sure suck. I think everybody has good advice on this thread. I would think your inverter and it’s settings should be checked out first like others have said.

I also think that it could be a transfer switch issue like Craigav said. A reset seems to me like the voltage is resetting a relay. The relay inside it could be acting up. I’ve had relays see potential voltage and do some weird things, like chattering till they burn out. But I think with the above advice your on the right track.

Forgive me if I missed it, but was your converter/charger charging the house batteries when this happed? If your not sure, I would check. I installed a little, cheap BT battery monitor on my house batteries. It alerts me when different parameters are set and not met. Perhaps this could aid you also.

It’s almost funny the response you received back from Jayco. I’m guessing you didn’t reach the right person there. I would try again. Email the motorized decision if you haven’t already.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
.I’m guessing you didn’t reach the right person there. I would try again. Email the motorized decision if you haven’t already.
motorizedservice@jayco.com
hartlenb is offline   Reply With Quote