Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #1

Marker Lights

Anyone have to replace a roof top marker light on a precept/emblem?

Jayco sent me the new ones and looks like they should pop out from the inside as the bulb only passes through grommet one way.

Anyone have any tips in doing this?
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #2

I just replaced all of the marker lights on my and my daughters RVs. The 194 bulb pushes into a small rubber ringed receptical in the plastic base plate.
I pull each one by:
Remove lens and two screws. Score/cut the all the way around if there was sealant. Using a small putty knife and/or a screw driver pry up the bottom and pull out gently. Anchor the wires so they don't slip inside and out of reach. Test to see which was positive if you are going LED and mark that one. Attach with scotch-lock or butt connectors. Screw back in, caulk around them, pop on cover and done.

I used Quad Seal, Partsam LED lights and heat seal & solder butt connectors by Quibak. All off amazon. Boy are they brighter! Also cuts down on power needed to run them by about 7 amps.

Anyone need the old style lens, 194 bulbs or even some light bases? Got a ton of them!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I just replaced all of the marker lights on my and my daughters RVs. The 194 bulb pushes into a small rubber ringed receptical in the plastic base plate.
I pull each one by:
Remove lens and two screws. Score/cut the all the way around if there was sealant. Using a small putty knife and/or a screw driver pry up the bottom and pull out gently. Anchor the wires so they don't slip inside and out of reach. Test to see which was positive if you are going LED and mark that one. Attach with scotch-lock or butt connectors. Screw back in, caulk around them, pop on cover and done.

I used Quad Seal, Partsam LED lights and heat seal & solder butt connectors by Quibak. All off amazon. Boy are they brighter! Also cuts down on power needed to run them by about 7 amps.

Anyone need the old style lens, 194 bulbs or even some light bases? Got a ton of them!
I’m talking the roof top bulbs in the fiberglass cap. This is what my bulb looks like. Appears to be led chips.
Attached Thumbnails
220B37B0-A157-4649-92FB-672FCB24B3C3.jpg  
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

Mine were the standard oval marker lights in amber and red. Yours should replace pretty much the same way. I would be sure you tape off the old wires before you cut them so they can't fall back inside. Match black and white to insure polarity. I used Quad Seal to make sure water could not seep in at 65mph.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Mine were the standard oval marker lights in amber and red. Yours should replace pretty much the same way. I would be sure you tape off the old wires before you cut them so they can't fall back inside. Match black and white to insure polarity. I used Quad Seal to make sure water could not seep in at 65mph.

The OP has a Class A Precept not a travel trailer and the Precept marker lights are nothing like those on a TT.

OP: I have a Precept but haven't had to replace any marker lights but a few people have and posted their process on the Facebook Precept and Alante page. I have heard the the wires are very short and may need to be carefully fished out of the marker light recess.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
I pull each one by:

Roger - I sent you a PM.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #7

I changed one on a 2018 Precept 31UL, pried it out carefully with a small screw driver. Did not see a plug in connection so had to cut wires and butt splice. Suggest you stagger the splices as the hole is small and if your splices line up it's a really tight fit. Once installed caulk around it, I had a leak there. There may be a plug in connector if you go from the inside, but I'm not familiar with how to get access to that area.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
I’m talking the roof top bulbs in the fiberglass cap. This is what my bulb looks like. Appears to be led chips.

I just did mine and they look exactly like yours. You need to pull them out from the outside and then use a needle nose pliers to pull the iwres and connector out of the front cap. Then the connectors come open and you pull the old wires out and slam the connector closed on the new ones and test before putting back into the cap. They will be a VERY tight fit so use some rubber safe lube to slide them back into the cap. I had to use lube plus a rubber mallet and tap gently on the bulb to get it to go in.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote