Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #221

Mark, finally got the doghouse done on Precept 31UL. I added addition loose sound deadening to the cavity behind the radio area. Used leftover hood material to creat a wall on either side as it had openings to the footwell. Haven’t had the opportunity to check improvement yet.

How far did you go with the cab floor installation? Doing that next week. Sincerely appreciate all the detailed installation details you provide on all your upgrade. Thank you
Terry and Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:08 AM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Marie View Post
Mark, finally got the doghouse done on Precept 31UL. I added addition loose sound deadening to the cavity behind the radio area. Used leftover hood material to creat a wall on either side as it had openings to the footwell. Haven’t had the opportunity to check improvement yet.

How far did you go with the cab floor installation? Doing that next week. Sincerely appreciate all the detailed installation details you provide on all your upgrade. Thank you
Terry, if you look closely at my pics, you'll see I ended the heat/sound insulation just behind the seat, and in front of foot well and driver side slide out

Mark
Old 07-18-2021, 03:23 AM   #223

Last UPDATE post on this thread!!

Well, we just finished our first long trip. Over 2600 miles from NC, to upstate NY, over to Maine, back to central PA and then back to NC.

Findings and experience:
Engine ran great with no issues. For a gas engine, I couldn't expect more.... in fact, it did much better than I expected.
TOAD was about 3600 lbs and my MPG ran between 7.5 and 8.6 mpg
To my surprise, I was at max weight when I stopped at a truck stop scale. Most concerning was we didn't pack that much and I plan to 4 down tow my Ford F150..... so, that means I needed a rig to carry and tow more.
The generator crap in heat was not good.

So between the need for more weight carring/tow capacity and the generator, we will trade in the Precept 34G. We drive to TX Monday to pick up Friday a "like new" used 2021 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH with only 2000 mile on it.

I'll always be available to help anyone if I can, but this is the last update to this thread.

Mark
Old 07-18-2021, 04:54 AM   #224

Well thanks for all the info Mark. I've enjoyed reading about your mods. A couple of quick questions.

1. Did you go to the dealer for the rear end recall, or did you just check, fill, and go?

2 On the TSB re" the baffle on the passenger side restricting cooling. Did your rig have one, and if it did, did you cut it away yourself.

Once again, Thanks
Jim
2021 31UL
JK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #225

Heckuva upgrade Mark !

I thought I was buying a Precept for the longest tine - Jayco delays and my dealer’s sudden propensity for playing games pushed me out of the Jayco family. Crossing my fingers that my next purchase does us right. Having owned a number of Jayco C’s, I’m very much interested to experience a different take on this class of RV.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Well, we just finished our first long trip. Over 2600 miles from NC, to upstate NY, over to Maine, back to central PA and then back to NC.

Findings and experience:
Engine ran great with no issues. For a gas engine, I couldn't expect more.... in fact, it did much better than I expected.
TOAD was about 3600 lbs and my MPG ran between 7.5 and 8.6 mpg
To my surprise, I was at max weight when I stopped at a truck stop scale. Most concerning was we didn't pack that much and I plan to 4 down tow my Ford F150..... so, that means I needed a rig to carry and tow more.
The generator crap in heat was not good.

So between the need for more weight carring/tow capacity and the generator, we will trade in the Precept 34G. We drive to TX Monday to pick up Friday a "like new" used 2021 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH with only 2000 mile on it.

I'll always be available to help anyone if I can, but this is the last update to this thread.

Mark
When you say “generator crap”, did you experience shut down issues?
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #227

Thanks a bunch Mark for all your upgrade help, will miss seeing it in the future.
Wish you the best on the new Tiffin, have fun, safe travels !!
Pete
hawkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:19 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK31 View Post
Well thanks for all the info Mark. I've enjoyed reading about your mods. A couple of quick questions.

1. Did you go to the dealer for the rear end recall, or did you just check, fill, and go?

2 On the TSB re" the baffle on the passenger side restricting cooling. Did your rig have one, and if it did, did you cut it away yourself.

Once again, Thanks
Jim
2021 31UL
Answer to 1 above.... NO. They never got the parts. Like I said, I just returned after a 2600 mile trip... rig now have 3800 it. I did top off the rear end as I posted earlier... so, fill and go. It needed about 1.5 pts

2.don't know what a TSB is?
Old 07-19-2021, 01:21 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
When you say “generator crap”, did you experience shut down issues?
Yes... shutting down.... get too hot. Obviously, it wasn't designed right by Cummins/Onan OR Jayco put in in the wrong way and didn't take the heat and lack of ventilation into account.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:20 AM   #230

2.don't know what a TSB is?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, Technical Service Bulletin 20-2370 from Ford regarding trimming the engine cooling baffle on the passenger side affecting some 2020 F53 built on or before Sept 28, 2020.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK31 View Post
2.don't know what a TSB is?
Sorry, Technical Service Bulletin 20-2370 from Ford regarding trimming the engine cooling baffle on the passenger side affecting some 2020 F53 built on or before Sept 28, 2020.[/QUOTE]

My baffle didn't look like the older one and didn't need trimmed.... ?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:49 AM   #232

Quote:
Sorry, Technical Service Bulletin 20-2370 from Ford regarding trimming the engine cooling baffle on the passenger side affecting some 2020 F53 built on or before Sept 28, 2020.
My baffle didn't look like the older one and didn't need trimmed.... ?[/QUOTE]

Yep, mine too was already trimmed out. I guess that's why I haven't had any overheating/code throwing issues.

Good luck with the Tiffin, night looking MH.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #233

Quote:
Yes... shutting down.... get too hot. Obviously, it wasn't designed right by Cummins/Onan OR Jayco put in in the wrong way and didn't take the heat and lack of ventilation into account.
Was this after you put the vents in the compartment door?
Old 07-19-2021, 07:49 PM   #234

Quote:
Was this after you put the vents in the compartment door?
Yes, overheat and generator shut down was post vent install.

Mark
Old 07-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #235

Quote:
Yes, overheat and generator shut down was post vent install.

Mark
Did you get the 36 code? So I guess the vents along with insulating the fuel line didn’t help? Just trying to be proactive as you were.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #236

Mark, we are having some rough weather in various parts of Texas, not sure where you are headed but please be aware the roads flood quickly here including parts of major highways. Safe travels. Enjoy the DP. All the best, Terry
Terry and Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #237

Mark, if you're still reading, what would you do next for the generator issue ?
hawkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #238

Quote:
Did you get the 36 code? So I guess the vents along with insulating the fuel line didn’t help? Just trying to be proactive as you were.
No idea on codes.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkmaster View Post
Mark, if you're still reading, what would you do next for the generator issue ?
No idea..... I do think running it while driving and hot engine combined all contribute to the overheat issue.

It seems the Generator runs fine overnight with a cool engine.

But, obviously, since I'm trading this Friday.... I'm not thinking of it any longer.

At the end of the day, I believe it's a Cummins Onan issue on poor airflow design.

Mark
Old 07-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Marie View Post
Mark, we are having some rough weather in various parts of Texas, not sure where you are headed but please be aware the roads flood quickly here including parts of major highways. Safe travels. Enjoy the DP. All the best, Terry
Hi Terry.... yes, while driving towards TX, now in Monroe LA, the rivers are very high.

We hit some heavy rain.... but it did wash off all the bugs on the windshield!

Thanks for reaching out,
Mark

Tags
camera, inverter power electrical, solar installation, sound & floor insulation, washer/dryer combo