Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #241

Hey Mark
I know you are moving on and congrats on the new DP. Just researching this shutting down and I haven’t experienced it but haven’t used my 31 UL in heat with the generator running. I was looking at a YouTube video and noticed the location of the generator is in the front compartment drivers side where the exhaust and header pipes exit. I know on my Thor Ace I had 5 years ago I had the same overheat issues and the generator was located in the same place. Back then, Thor even relocated some generators to the back compartment under warranty. My 31 UL generator is located 3 compartments back in front of the rear wheels and has compartments to block some of the exhaust heat. Hoping the overheat will not be a problem on 31 UL.
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Hey Mark
I know you are moving on and congrats on the new DP. Just researching this shutting down and I haven’t experienced it but haven’t used my 31 UL in heat with the generator running. I was looking at a YouTube video and noticed the location of the generator is in the front compartment drivers side where the exhaust and header pipes exit. I know on my Thor Ace I had 5 years ago I had the same overheat issues and the generator was located in the same place. Back then, Thor even relocated some generators to the back compartment under warranty. My 31 UL generator is located 3 compartments back in front of the rear wheels and has compartments to block some of the exhaust heat. Hoping the overheat will not be a problem on 31 UL.
that may do the trick for you!!

Good luck.
Mark
Old 07-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #243

Stay safe, God bless
Terry and Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #244

suspension upgrades

Good afternoon, I too have a Precept 34G but a 2020. It has the Jayride suspension but I do feel there can be some improvements. Did you consider air bags such as the Firestone? There is a definite lean to the passenger side and I feel the air ride would offer a smoother ride and help with the lean.
Your thoughts?
cpcleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcleveland View Post
Good afternoon, I too have a Precept 34G but a 2020. It has the Jayride suspension but I do feel there can be some improvements. Did you consider air bags such as the Firestone? There is a definite lean to the passenger side and I feel the air ride would offer a smoother ride and help with the lean.
Your thoughts?
No, I did not consider them
Old 08-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #246

Enjoy following this thread. Our 2020 Precept 34G also did not come with a ladder, but checking the vin with Jayco, it was an option and the walls are blocked for the installation. I may do this upgrade this winter.

Craig
Old 08-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #247

Vision XL 34G ladder install.

I had my dealer install a ladder. They had the diagram and yes there is wood blocking to screw into to. I think it was a Tiffin ladder. Two piece, black, I keep the lower section bungeed to the bolted one. I think it was @$400 installed? Good luck with your install, it sure is handy!
Minnidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #248

Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Well, I removed the doghouse last night to start my heat and sound insulation. My Precept 34G was built ~Sept/Oct 2020. And, to my surprise, Jayco must have started to add formed dense styrofoam under the doghouse to help shield the heat (this is my assumption?). Reading all the other posts/threads on heat issues, recalls, spark plug wire heat related issues, etc... this was the last thing I expected. So I took pictures to share not only the black foam, but the spark plug wires to see if these are upgrades or the standard wires so many are having issues with. Any comments/questions welcome.

Thx Mark

Pic 1 shows the trim piece that ties the dog house to the upper console
Pic 2 shows the underside of the dog house with for formed dense black styrofoam that fits the doghouse and the top of the engine
Pic 3 shows the opening to the engine without the doghouse
Pic 4 shows the metal jacketed spark plug wires... are these new or typical?
Pic 5 shows some wire and hose wrap heat shielding... is this new or typical?
where did you get that doghouse cover? would love to have one for our jayco precept 31ul.
momkmac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #249

[QUOTE=mkassab;924061]

Quote:
Well, I removed the doghouse last night to start my heat and sound insulation. My Precept 34G was built ~Sept/Oct 2020. And, to my surprise, Jayco must have started to add formed dense styrofoam under the doghouse to help shield the heat (this is my assumption?). Reading all the other posts/threads on heat issues, recalls, spark plug wire heat related issues, etc... this was the last thing I expected. So I took pictures to share not only the black foam, but the spark plug wires to see if these are upgrades or the standard wires so many are having issues with. Any comments/questions welcome.

Thx Mark

Pic 2 shows the underside of the dog house with for formed dense black styrofoam that fits the doghouse and the top of the engine
Where did you get your doghouse? I want to replace the one in our 2016 Jayco Precept. Thanks for your help.
momkmac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #250

Watch his pics, he did'nt replace it. He added insulation in between existing doghouse-factory insulation then another layer just above engine. He also insulated floors in complete front driving area.
I did the first 1 and added insulation under dash. Just closing the small gaps helped a lot with sound and heat.

Pete
Old 10-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #251

Where does the wires go from the factory for the “prewired for solar”?
PellingRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #252

solar

You can check Mark's previous post. It is very good. Roof to under bed.
conch02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:21 AM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by conch02 View Post
You can check Mark's previous post. It is very good. Roof to under bed.
conch02 is correct.... and then Solar wires continue from under the bed and on to the House battery compartment

Mark
Old 11-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #254

Quote:
conch02 is correct.... and then Solar wires continue from under the bed and on to the House battery compartment

Mark
That may be the case with your unit but he and I have the 31UL and I am unable to locate the wires under the bed, they seem to go directly to the battery/propane bay.

Jayco support has been unable to tell me where the wires route as I was hoping to install my charge controller in the coach and not under it in the battery/propane bay.

MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #255

Quote:

Thx Mark

Mark,

Thinking my 2021 Alante 31V will be the same for doghouse, what details can you provide on removing? How long it take to disassemble/reassemble? Pre/Post decibel reduction?

Going to do the Noico 80mil/ hoodliner 3/4. Should have some Noico left to do floor. Floor shows about 61db vs 55db from doghouse engine idling.

Will place some of this once all done;

Achim Home Furnishings NXCRPTSM12 Nexus 12 inch x 12 inch Self Adhesive Carpet Floor Tile, 12 Tiles/12 Sq', Smoke, Count

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5O4OSV...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:50 PM   #256

Mark perhaps you can help with my dilemma. 2020 Precept 34G, 2 house batteries 100ah each and residential refrigerator. I am going to be camping off grid for a week. I am mainly concerned with powering the residential refrigerator. So I am thinking to change the house batteries 2 200 ah lithium batteries. No solar panels. That should keep my refrigerator working 2 -3 days or longer.
Without changing the charger or any other electronics.
I will have to run the generator every few daus to recharge the batteries.
Opinions?
Kenkolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:03 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkolen View Post
Mark perhaps you can help with my dilemma. 2020 Precept 34G, 2 house batteries 100ah each and residential refrigerator. I am going to be camping off grid for a week. I am mainly concerned with powering the residential refrigerator. So I am thinking to change the house batteries 2 200 ah lithium batteries. No solar panels. That should keep my refrigerator working 2 -3 days or longer.
Opinions?
You should be fine.... but, remember, if you ever buy a solar controller, make sure it can be set to Lithium batteries.

Mark
Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkolen View Post
Opinions?
I'm not sure if changing from standard batteries to Lithium is that simple. I would be concerned that they won't be charged correctly from the alternator while driving (possibly damaging the alternator) or by the converter when on shore power/generator.

I would think you would have to change the BIM (they make a version for lithium) and converter.
Justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:11 AM   #259

Schematics Needed

Hello Mark, great upgrades. I too have a 2021 34G. Was wondering if you have a schematic for the systems on the unit? Or do you know where that would be located? Love the upgrades and plan on doing a few you've shared here.

Thanks, Darren
Darren1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #260

Schematics

Good afternoon, I was able to submit a request for the wiring schematics to Jayco for my 2020 Precept 34G. They responded quickly sending a pdf. Might be a great place to start.

Tags
camera, inverter power electrical, solar installation, sound & floor insulation, washer/dryer combo