Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #1

Master Power Switch

We have a new to us 2018 Jayco Precept 31ul. We've done a TON of reading and learned a lot, but there is something that is still confusing...the Main Power switch.

We just put the unit in storage and 'turned off' the Main Power switch. The red light went out. I tried pushing the switch again expecting the light to come back on and of course it didn't. I now understand this is just an indicator if 12v is being supplied to the coach batteries.

What I am still unsure of is, how do I know if the switch is now 'on' or 'off'? Do I need to turn the generator on (or connect to shore power) and push the switch until the red light comes on?

I want to leave the switch 'on' all the time except when in storage to avoid unnecessary drain on the batteries and I want to be able to be sure it's 'off' in storage.

Thanks.
pecostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:46 PM   #2

This switch controls a battery disconnect solenoid/relay. The light is illuminated when the battery is connected to the circuit. If you held the switch in too long, that can cause a problem.

The Jayco owner’s manual states “Never depress the momentary battery disconnect switch for longer than 1 second. Depressing and holding the switch down will disable the battery disconnect solenoid. Should this occur the main ground cable for the house batteries must be removed for 1 minute to re-enable the solenoid operation.”

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. Of course I held the switch in for more then a minute Is the main ground cable in the battery compartment?
Old 05-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #4

Yep. You are not alone at using that switch in that manner. There should have been a warning label at the switch.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #5

Thanks Jim. I disconnected the ground and the Master Power Switch is now working correctly...only press for less then 1 second
Old 05-15-2021, 09:36 PM   #6

2017 Alante 31v. Where should I start troubleshooting? The house battery switch beside of the entryway will not power off. The battery disconnect relay 7.5 fuse blown also. Also, where do the switch wire come from and go to?
Mauney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauney01 View Post
2017 Alante 31v. Where should I start troubleshooting? The house battery switch beside of the entryway will not power off. The battery disconnect relay 7.5 fuse blown also. Also, where do the switch wire come from and go to?

What's the goal? Do you want the switch to power everything down? Have you replaced the fuse?

That switch is wired to the Battery Disconnect Solenoid which, on my unit, is inside the battery compartment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12V Chassis.pdf (449.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #8

Cannot cut off house batteries. Replaced fuse at battery disconnect solenoid but did not solve problem.
Mauney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:11 PM   #9

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecostyle View Post
Thanks Jim. I disconnected the ground and the Master Power Switch is now working correctly...only press for less then 1 second
So for us newbies...how do u remove the ground wire and what precautions are needed?

I have a similar issue with my 2021 Precept 34G. No 12V items work but only the 110 (including fridge and microwave). I've done all the usual troubleshooting. When I press the master switch the red light comes on as well as the coach lights. Then after about 2 seconds they all go off again while I'm still holding the switch (I know now that is a mistake). Not sure why the 12V went off to start with. Thoughts?
fpsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
master power switch