Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Mattress ideas for the sofa bed?

I slept on the pull out sofa for the first time. It felt like I was sleeping with a log under my kidneys because the portion where my head was dipped down slightly. I was thinking a mattress might help. Any suggestions?

I slept in the over the cab bed when we went down to LazyDays. I figured it would be like my days in the Navy, which it was. Every time I turned over it swayed like I was on a boat. I think my dog stood in the hallway starring at me all night too. So I intended on making the sofa my bed. The dog is happier with that as well.
xraymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

We added a topper to ours and recently discovered the head of the bed is adjustable.

2008 Seneca 35GS
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
We added a topper to ours and recently discovered the head of the bed is adjustable.

2008 Seneca 35GS
Head of the bed is adjustable... the pull out sofa??

I'm thinking a topper would just conform to the sofa bed itself, so the lumps would still be there.
xraymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post

2008 Seneca 35GS
Is this the tri-fold sofa? If so, how do you adjust it? We found it nearly impossible to get comfortable.
KevTev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTev View Post
Is this the tri-fold sofa? If so, how do you adjust it? We found it nearly impossible to get comfortable.
Yes. We pulled up on the head of the bed and the end of the frame moved up and locked in position.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Yes. We pulled up on the head of the bed and the end of the frame moved up and locked in position.
OK, you have got to post of video of how that works, PLEASE!
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
OK, you have got to post of video of how that works, PLEASE!
We will try to remember to take a photo or two Tuesday but after that our's belongs to someone else.
We are selling her and picking up another next week.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #8

The only way i found it bearable was to put a topper on it and sleep with my feet towards the wall.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #9

On my Alante 32N the head doesn’t pull up!! The head is tilted down to the outside and the middle is tilted upward on the side that connects to the head. I’ll see if I can determine how to post pictures.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTev View Post
On my Alante 32N the head doesn’t pull up!! The head is tilted down to the outside and the middle is tilted upward on te side that connects to the head. I’ll see if I can determine how to post pictures.

I think this will send some pictures showing the “tilting” of the parts, I’m wondering if the whole mattress assembly needs to be lowered an inch or two to allow it to even out.

The first picture shows the level across everything, the second shows the drop towards the head and the third shows there the bubble is for the bottom two sections (the coach is level)
Attached Thumbnails
61DF43D6-89BB-4311-A8E3-AFFEAF0DBC2F.jpg   A7BCA833-C73F-4CA2-8788-F3533C3531B7.jpg   F4CEC877-FD07-40A6-9CC6-790A37CEFB8E.jpg  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #11

Move of the people who have posted to this thread have no RV info in their profile so we have no reference as to what RV you have. This is a Class A forum so the type of sofa you have may not be relevant to an Alante or Precept.
Thanks.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Move of the people who have posted to this thread have no RV info in their profile so we have no reference as to what RV you have. This is a Class A forum so the type of sofa you have may not be relevant to an Alante or Precept.
Thanks.
I would venture a guess that Jayco uses very little, in the way of custom Class A sofas. There really aren't that many RV furniture manufacturers. And just like the floorplans, they all borrow other's ideas.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #13

I have gone ahead and leveled the top third on the tri-fold sofa, it just required that I remove the two outboard screws on each side of the “bed frame” and used a block of 2x4 to wedge the frame to the correct position. The only tricky part is the metal plates on the base where its bolted to the slide floor - the get in the way so the 2x4 needs to be a bit longer.

Bed is now usable with your head no longer lower than your chest!