Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #1

Melted front pass thru storage compartment

Has anyone had this problem? Just recently I noticed that the front pass thru storage on my 2016 Precept 31ul was melted!!!
So bad that I was able to put my hand in a hole that was melted thru!
The catalytic converter is located just below this area and is obviously the cause.
I do have photos and will be sending them to Jayco Corp.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

Happened to many on Facebook. They put a shield on converter. Don't know how they handle out of warranty. I have same model ok so far.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply....this seems like it should be a recall issue! I'll drive this rig right to the factory right after a call to the National Transportation Safety Board!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #4

Called jayco CS a month ago concerned myself. They told me it was only longer 35 and 36 ft coach's. I have 2016 31ul. So I believe I have heard of yours and one other 31ul with the same problem. Several larger coaches. Good luck.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #5

Hi Hawksrer thanks again for the response. This really should be a recall in my mind it's definitely a fire hazard!! If I don't get the response I'm looking for from Jayco I will contact the NTSB.
I am out of the Jayco 2 yr warrenty but I did purchase the Platinum 3 yr extention.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Yes same thing happened to our '17 31UL. You better check your rear mud flaps too! If they haven't come loose (and melted from rubbing the tire), they will when you least want it to happen. Patching the storage bin and adding a heat shield isn't that hard, but re-attaching and securing that mudflat is a real problem as not much to attach it to and the metal frame itself is at issue (e.g., not only the rubber flap itself). BTW my Dealer used some sort of large sheet of peel off backed, stick-on foil insulated, flexible heat shield material instead of metal. You might look for that as depending on the size hole it might kill two birds one stone.
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #7

I crawled under our 2018 UL31 and it has a metal heat shield installed above the catalytic converter.
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #8

My 2016 31ul is at the west coast dealer right now and a Jayco representative from the factory is going to look at it. Hopefully they will add add a good heat shield. I did an emergency patch last year when I first heard about it from others. Sure enough mine has the same problem. No Heat shield. Before and after pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
20180206_124150.jpg   partial-melting-of-passthrough-bay.jpg   Temporary-repair-shielding.jpg  
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #9

They make a cat. converter strap on heat shield if nothing else.
I don't think you will have any trouble with Jayco on this one. Apparently it's a well known common problem.
I would approach CS in a friendly manner. Ask them after you explain the problem "What Can You Do To Help Me? Ask for a email to send pictures of the problem. Those would go a long way to help. I wouldn't throw out threats of going to NTSB right off.........that would set a bad tone. If you don't get any satisfaction with your first contact with them call back and try a different CS person.
Then if all else fails file a complaint with NTSB. Even that won't help though unless NTSB see's a pattern of a sizable number of complaints.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #10

Retired LEO... who makes a cat. converter strap heat Shield?
fizikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #11

Update, The Jayco rep looked and took pictures yesterday(even though he was given my pictures before). My dealer( RichardsonsRV) promised me it will be repaired & fixed. Jayco rep going back to Indiana to figure out best solution. He was also aware that this not the first incident. I'm confident they will get it fixed. Just glad I caught it before it caused a fire.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Get some galvanized sheet metal and make your own. You can either fastened to the undercarriage or make taps on the heatshield and clamp it on the exhaust pipe.
It takes some innovative thinking.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizikpal View Post
Retired LEO... who makes a cat. converter strap heat Shield?
Check Summit Racing online catalog
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #14

Catalytic Heat damage

Jayco customer service ROCKS. I had a partially melted pass through floor and melted wire wrap loom in the frame rail near the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter. I made temporary repairs to prevent more damage until I could get it to the dealer.
My RV is a 2016 UL precept and is out of the two year warranty. Jayco and Richardson’s RV – Menifee resolved the problem at no cost to me.
They cut out the floor of the front passthrough and installed ¼ Diamond plate and used angle iron to secure it on both sides. They also added Thermozite heat & sound insulation on the bottom. My shielding of the wire looms is sufficient to prevent any heat intrusion.
This problem is still happening with other Jayco Class A’s and Class C’s. Richardson’s now has a Greyhawk in for repairs with a similar problem.
I suggest everyone to take a peek under your coach around the catalytic converter and the passenger side frame rail for any damage.

Jayco and Richardson’s deserve many KUDO’s for customer satisfaction even after the 2 warranty period.Before and after pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
melted-wire-loom-#1.jpg   partial-melting-of-passthrough-bay.jpg   temporary-repair-#2.jpg   insulationafter-fix.jpg   top-cutout-with-insulation.jpg  

passthrough.jpg  
Old 03-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #15

Looking at the pictures, this is an extremely poor design. The CAT produces temps in excess of 600 degree F and JAYCO should know that. This is something anyone who ever had this problem, or is concerned it may be for them, needs to contact the National Highway Safety Administration.

Replacing the storage area floor with a steel plate isn't really a fix. That sheet metal will be heated by the CAT and anything in contact can melt or ignite.

Who ever designed this area should be locked in the storage bin and taken for a long, CAT heated ride. Remember to add some salt, pepper and maybe some BBQ sauce since he will be well done after the ride.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #16

It has insulation under the diamond plate. I drove 60 miles back to home and placed my hand on top of the diamond shield. It was at a normal tempature for the compartment.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #17

My 2018 Alante 31R (purchased Sep17) has a galvanized steel 'tray' extending from the frame rail to out over the CAT. It seems to be functioning as a heat shield. I'll try to grab some pics this afternoon. Its not directly connected to any of the plastic pass through. I am going to double check my wires in the area, but it came from the factory like this and it seems to be preventing the problem. Could be an easy add-on fix for someone. I didn't notice the year of the OPs coach, but given the age of mine, I'm wondering is this something they did away with or something they added?

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfisher523 View Post
My 2018 Alante 31R (purchased Sep17) has a galvanized steel 'tray' extending from the frame rail to out over the CAT. It seems to be functioning as a heat shield.

X2 on my '19 Entegra Vision 31V. Checked this first thing when I saw the original post back in January. Seems like they circled back to resolve it for the future, which is good, and great that they covered one out of warranty. I agree on the Jayco Motorized CS being great.... nothing but good from me so far.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #19

I just found this on my 31UL this last trip. The melted area is just above where the two exhausts meet. Quite the surprise.
mikem57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem57 View Post
I just found this on my 31UL this last trip. The melted area is just above where the two exhausts meet. Quite the surprise.
Sounds like I better check mine. Thanks!

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote