Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #1

Motorhome A safety concerns

Motorhome A does not go through collision test and does not have air bags. Is it true? Is it safe for people to sit in living room area with seat belts on while driving on highway?

Is it much less safe on driving than class C?

It is difficult to find a company to tow motorhome A or repair if road assistance is needed?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #2

My coach does not have air bags and I doubt any Class A’s in my price range do. I’m not sure if higher end MH’s have them or not. That is a distinct advantage of a Class C but only in the the driver and front passenger positions. Also the extended hood and engine up front offer some protection from a head on collision.
Driving a Class A has made me a super cautious driver when I have passengers as their lives are in my hands. Towing my Jeep raises my awareness level even more because I know I have to avoid any situations which would require me to back up and I am always conscious of anyone following too closely.
There are seat belts in all the sitting positions but usually it’s only me and my DW. She will wear it in the front but not if she goes to the back.
MH’s can be towed but depending on the problem a mobile tech may be able to help get it back on the road or at least driveable to a repair facility. This is another advantage of a Class C because they can be serviced at the same place as you would take your car or pickup whereas a Class A is limited to a large RV dealer or a truck repair shop.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #3

Thanks. Obviously there is no safety law on RV. Class A has the same chassis as Bus. Wondering if there is any safety law for buses.
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Drv

Most non Prevost bus style Class A RV's are made the same. There is little to no crash worthiness to them. Some manufactures will put a very rudimentary steel frame around the windshield that is welded to Chassis frame. This steel frame is more for holding the windshield securely in place then added crash worthiness. A lot of Class A's do not even have the steel Windshield framing, so its just a piece of glass, some fiberglass and maybe aluminum between you and anything you come into contact with.
A Class C or even better, a Super C will at least have the engine and some steel out in front for some protection. Keep in mind any impacts to the house area still involve only Aluminum frame and Fiberglass so structural integrity is still easily compromised depending on type of impact. Nexus and maybe some others(very few) use a Steel Frame for house instead of Aluminum which will add some structural integrity.
Bottom line is most Class A's and traditionally built RV's offer little in the way of crash worthiness.
We all take risk everyday, sometimes unknowingly but we do not let that stop us from living ours lives. I choose to a Super C to help mitigate some of the potential pitfalls in safety a RV presents but I'm a firm believer the only thing we take with us in the end, is our experiences and my RV allows myself and my family to have ALOT of them.
A trailer based camper would allow you to travel in a Crash rated vehicle and still enjoy camping. You alone can decide what's in your best interest.
Drv is offline   Reply With Quote