Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #1

Need advice

I'm considering buying a low mileage 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL. What items should be looking for.

I'm a long time motorhome owner but never a Jayco or a Ford chassis.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
Bobsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsi View Post
I'm considering buying a low mileage 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL. What items should be looking for.

I'm a long time motorhome owner but never a Jayco or a Ford chassis.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
Be sure and drive it, if you like how it drives your all set. Just put 4k into our F53 Ford (Precept36T) chassis to get it to drive like a truck.
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

Don't understand your comment

I do not understand your comment about spending 4 K to make it drive like a truck.

What did it drive like before, do you consider a motorhome that drives like a truck a good thing?
Old 02-07-2020, 06:48 AM   #4

Yes I would drive it about 65 mph. Since you have had motorhomes before you'll know if you like it or not. Ask the owner if they did any suspension upgrades. You may be good to go. If you normally drive 55 and under you're good to go.

I have a 2016 and it drives great but I have added about $1000 ( rear Trac bar, good alignment and chf) and about $800 koni shocks for a softer ride. Many owners do suspension upgrades so hopefully that's been done. The only other clinker might be the on demand Girard water heater. It's either funky or unusable depending on the unit. Put water in tank or city water and try it for yourself before buying.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

I Will absolutely give it a good test drive.

I was curious about the tankless water heater.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
I do not understand your comment about spending 4 K to make it drive like a truck.

What did it drive like before, do you consider a motorhome that drives like a truck a good thing?
If you can get your MH to drive like a truck, you're winning (IMHO).

Right out of the gate, many of them drive more like a beach ball.

You have 2 choices; get used to it and accept it (my DW's suggestion) or make moves to improve the situation; usually this is accomplished with various suspension upgrades. If you're buying a used rig and it's in the "beach ball" camp, you'll want to consider the added cost of making it drive better when you're thinking about your budget.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
If you can get your MH to drive like a truck, you're winning (IMHO).

Right out of the gate, many of them drive more like a beach ball.

You have 2 choices; get used to it and accept it (my DW's suggestion) or make moves to improve the situation; usually this is accomplished with various suspension upgrades. If you're buying a used rig and it's in the "beach ball" camp, you'll want to consider the added cost of making it drive better when you're thinking about your budget.

probably why it is for sale they didn't want to spend the money to fix the beach ball...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgantz View Post
Be sure and drive it, if you like how it drives your all set. Just put 4k into our F53 Ford (Precept36T) chassis to get it to drive like a truck.
I think the other comments explain it better then I did. Thx
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #9

Hi Bobsi, we have a 2019 Jayco Alante - they brag about the "J-Ride" being so great. But after our first trip, which was "white knuckle awful" we added SafeTSteering, SumoSprings and trac bars. Now we can drive without being blown off the road by every passing semi truck, and we don't lean so bad going around corners.
Carigrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carigrafix View Post
Hi Bobsi, we have a 2019 Jayco Alante - they brag about the "J-Ride" being so great. But after our first trip, which was "white knuckle awful" we added SafeTSteering, SumoSprings and trac bars. Now we can drive without being blown off the road by every passing semi truck, and we don't lean so bad going around corners.
J-Ride and J-Ride Plus are "half-measures".

For example in Greyhawks (my experience), the J-ride Plus upgrades the rear sway bar with a much improved Hellwig Sway Bar. But does not address the front Ford OEM sway bar. Yes, it's technically present, but the Ford OEM sway bar is literally a waste of steel in this application.

The Ford OEM front steering damper is also inadequate for a chassis that is pretty much rolling down the road at speed and at maximum capacity (or more) every single day of its life.

The alignment (especially caster) is set to a "one size fits all" configuration. Again, depending on wheel-base and weight, this is something that probably needs adjustment.

When the chassis modifier hands the unit over to Jayco to put the house on, there is VERY little consideration (IMHO) given to the fact that Jayco is going to add significant weight to the package.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #11

#1 check the furnace to make sure its firing. #2 check refrigerator use a thermometer,
3. check hot water if its tankless start with hot and then slowly add cold until it reached desired temp. 4. check auto levelers, of course driving but my 2016 31 UL drives really well at 63-65 which is what I drive. We love ours but had many problems the first year mostly with heating system and fridge.check tire pressures and of course generator also check repair history for accidents. Our headlights still have not been able to be adjusted for high and low beam so we have to run high beams at night to get proper visibility but I don't do a lot of night driving i am normally at rest by dark. Have fun and ENJOY your precept.
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #12

We have a Jayco Eagle Class C with Ford chassis. Love it. Of course we are Ford people but we have only had one other camper and it was a pull behind Aerolite. The Jayco style is very nice and I like the layout. Can't go wrong with Jayco.
nalyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #13

Fortunatly for you a 2015 has the adjustable sway bars so you'll be able to do the "Cheap handling Fix" if it hasn't been done already and you may want to think about upgrading the shocks to Koni FSD's if it still has the yellow and blue Bilsteins on the rig. Make sure the tires are at 90 PSI for the test drive, 85 is a bit mushy and 95 may be a little harsh since it's empty.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #14

I agree with Vicr, I did the CHF and added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. I also have my tires at 90-100psi depending on the load. These changes made a world of difference in the way it handles.

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #15

Quote:
I Will absolutely give it a good test drive.

I was curious about the tankless water heater.
Water heater is fine for summer months but it's Truma basic model and states all over that it cannot be used below freezing. I also wish it was a propane AND electric instead of propane only.
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, jayco