Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #1

Need Help Winterizing 2016 Jayco Precept 35S

I'm in the middle of trying to winterize my MH so I can put it in storage until it goes back to the factory for some repair issues.
So far I have emptied the black and grey water tanks and have drained all the water by opening the faucets and all the low point drains. I have also removed the water filter and installed the bypass hose for that. I closed the faucets back up and the low point drain valves back up and am following the instructions for the anitfreeze method in the manual. The valves are in the "Sanitize/Winterize" position (2 & 4) and I have connected a hose to the fresh water inlet and the other end in a gallon jug of antifreeze. When I turn the pump on it will not siphon the antifreeze solution out of the jug. I followed the instructions for failure of the pump to self-prime but it didn't make any difference. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I would like to finish this today if at all possible and not have to wait to call Jayco. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #2

It may not start pumping until you have a faucet open, try opening your outside shower with the pump on, if you have one.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

Did you reverse the screen where the suction hose screws on. This normally has the nipple out however when winterizing Reverse it and it will open the check valve. Also try to have the antifreeze higher level than the pump. This makes it easier to prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

I did try it with the outside shower faucet open but no luck. I will try reversing the screen and elevating the antifreeze higher. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #5

OK so this is one of those embarrassing moments that should end up in that thread that was posted on the JOF not too long ago. When I removed the house water filter and installed the bypass hose I had closed the two valves on either side of the filter. Then I proceeded to follow the winterizing instructions without any success. After trying the suggestions posted here I still couldn't get the pump to siphon. I hooked up the water hose and couldn't get any water either. Now WT*? Seemed like my valves were screwed up. That's when I stuck my head in the compartment and looked up and saw the water filter valves closed. My oh my oh my. We have met the enemy and he is us. All's well that ends well so chalk up another one to the school of hard knocks. Thanks for your help and fortunately no one got hurt and no damage was done. LOL.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
OK so this is one of those embarrassing moments that should end up in that thread that was posted on the JOF not too long ago. When I removed the house water filter and installed the bypass hose I had closed the two valves on either side of the filter. Then I proceeded to follow the winterizing instructions without any success. After trying the suggestions posted here I still couldn't get the pump to siphon. I hooked up the water hose and couldn't get any water either. Now WT*? Seemed like my valves were screwed up. That's when I stuck my head in the compartment and looked up and saw the water filter valves closed. My oh my oh my. We have met the enemy and he is us. All's well that ends well so chalk up another one to the school of hard knocks. Thanks for your help and fortunately no one got hurt and no damage was done. LOL.
Do you keep the filter housing in place ??
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk View Post
Do you keep the filter housing in place ??
I do.

Filter comes out, but housing goes back.

It probably takes up an extra quart of antifreeze, but I'd rather have all of the parts put back together than risk losing something.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #8

X2. Remove the filter, empty out any water and just screw the filter housing back together. Next camping season I will install a new filter.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
OK so this is one of those embarrassing moments
Pretty sure we've all had one of those at some point or another. Couple of years ago I tried to burn up my buddy's trailer because I didn't notice that the break-away plug was missing. I just kept pulling his trailer for all that the truck would do until I could get off the road. After I disconnected the trailer and battery the brakes released and I hung my head in shame. Turns out the dealer forgot to install it and I didn't do a good enough inspection.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Did you reverse the screen where the suction hose screws on. This normally has the nipple out however when winterizing Reverse it and it will open the check valve. Also try to have the antifreeze higher level than the pump. This makes it easier to prime.

I am having one heck of a time getting the pump to prime..... I have a 2017 Gray Hawk DS31 and I'll be darned if I can get it to pull up the anti freeze......took out the filter and put it back, driving me insane
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 09-30-2017, 01:42 AM   #11

While this is going to require an extra step. You could test the system by using your water supply and hooking up as if on city water but have the valve and pump set to winterize. Turn on the water supply and pump. This will force the water in and prime the pump. Shut off the pump then the water. Disconnect water supply and using the pick up hose in a bucket of water turn the pump on. If all this works you should then be able to drain the system and use the antifreeze. If you can not get water to flow there has to be a valve in the wrong position. By using the city water in this position you are doing four things. Priming the pump, opening the check valve and testing for leaks before the pump, and verifying you have the valves positioned correctly.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:54 AM   #12

Quote:
While this is going to require an extra step. You could test the system by using your water supply and hooking up as if on city water but have the valve and pump set to winterize. Turn on the water supply and pump. This will force the water in and prime the pump. Shut off the pump then the water. Disconnect water supply and using the pick up hose in a bucket of water turn the pump on. If all this works you should then be able to drain the system and use the antifreeze. If you can not get water to flow there has to be a valve in the wrong position. By using the city water in this position you are doing four things. Priming the pump, opening the check valve and testing for leaks before the pump, and verifying you have the valves positioned correctly.

Thanks....I will give that a shot today,
I had blown out all the lines with air and that probably is my problem....nothing in the pump at all......... I was going to just use compressed Air and get all the water out and leave it...but not safe..... it was easier doing my class A....should have kept it .....
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 09-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #13

You could also buy one of those cheap drill driven water pumps and use that to force the anti freeze into the system.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:17 AM   #14

Quote:

Thanks RVermont............ I finally got it done....a bit of insanity , no leaks at least ....winterized and covered for the Long Winter months
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #15

my Jayco has a hose you put in the hole were filter is turn pump on and it run threw your RV
DDailey is offline   Reply With Quote