Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

New 2015 Precept- Considering Purchase

Hi All,
I am considering the purchase of a new 2015 Precept. Does anyone have any pros or cons that they can share with me? Thank you.
sbillions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I bought a slightly used 2015 Precept 31UL and we think it is a great purchase. My unit has held up very well so far and I have put about 2000 miles on it in the last 4 months. I think with the new, you get a 2 year warranty, so make sure u take a note of that. Also, this forum is a great place as you can learn a lot about common issues / complaints that people have had. I would like to make a note; people do not come to forums to share their great experiences; they always come here when something is broken or not working. So reading between the lines, you will get an idea of the quality from Jayco. This is exactly what I did before I made my purchase.

My personal dislikes: a) The coach is a bit noisy (there is a solution to that http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...9ur-34059.html) and b) There is very less space to walk between the sofa and the dining when the slideouts are closed (although it makes for a great space when it is open).

Other than that, I love the coach. A few minor things --> I would have liked it to be pre-wired for Solar (come on Jayco, it was so easy to do when making the coach). Also, I would have liked the driver and the passenger cabin to have more storage.

I think it really boils down to what you need. My one other recommendation would be not to confuse ur 'needs' with your 'wants'. Easy said than done. But thought I would still mention it.

Good Luck !!
kaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

Oh one more thing that I would like to mention. In case you ever have to sell your Jayco, (while it is still in warranty) the warranty does not transfer. So keep that in mind. IMHO, this SUCKS!
kaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizer View Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I bought a slightly used 2015 Precept 31UL and we think it is a great purchase. My unit has held up very well so far and I have put about 2000 miles on it in the last 4 months. I think with the new, you get a 2 year warranty, so make sure u take a note of that. Also, this forum is a great place as you can learn a lot about common issues / complaints that people have had. I would like to make a note; people do not come to forums to share their great experiences; they always come here when something is broken or not working. So reading between the lines, you will get an idea of the quality from Jayco. This is exactly what I did before I made my purchase.

My personal dislikes: a) The coach is a bit noisy (there is a solution to that http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...9ur-34059.html) and b) There is very less space to walk between the sofa and the dining when the slideouts are closed (although it makes for a great space when it is open).

Other than that, I love the coach. A few minor things --> I would have liked it to be pre-wired for Solar (come on Jayco, it was so easy to do when making the coach). Also, I would have liked the driver and the passenger cabin to have more storage.

I think it really boils down to what you need. My one other recommendation would be not to confuse ur 'needs' with your 'wants'. Easy said than done. But thought I would still mention it.

Good Luck !!
Thank you so much for your response. This is great feedback.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #6

Thank you so much for your response. This is great feedback.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #7

Thank you again. Yes.. That makes no sense at all about the warranty being non-transferrable.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #8

Overall, we're very happy with our 31UL. As with any MH or camping trailer, you'll experience issues that either leave you or make you wonder why they didn't think of that when building it.

Our little issues luckily have all been handled by our dealer with no complaints. Furnace circuit board, rear window replacement, step motor replacement and various trim repairs.

Things I wish they would of included: Grill quick connect (newer one come with now), driver side lumbar support in seat, better view angle of camera screen, an exterior electric outlet on curb side other than by TV, plywood edge guards on bed platform, larger window by dinette, better carpet throughout and the frameless window on door like the new one now.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #9

sbillions, there is a ton of information from Precept owners dating back since the model first came out in 2014 at the Precept Owners Group: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...%27+group.html

If you invest the time, you'll be able to read and probably find the answers to specific topics on this forum as you continue to do your research on the Precepts.

I think you'll find that in general, most everyone is mostly very happy with their Precepts. There will be things that break in any MH, regardless of size and cost. Forums tend to focus a bit more on the "bad" than the "good", so you have to keep that in mind.

And like Kaizer said, it really comes down to what works for your unique lifestyle and travel plans. It took us 6 months to find our Precept which has met our expectations and works perfect for the way we want to enjoy this life style.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #10

Welcome on board! What model Precept are you interested in? Which floor plan is the right one for you and your family? We bought a 35UN, We love it, currently she is up at Jayco for an upgrade and some warranty work on the main slide gasket. We are changing the accordion door to the bedroom with the newer 2016's sliding wood door. Once the new door is installed, the 35UN floor plan is perfect for our needs!
Attached Images

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #11

We love our 31UL. I have a few issues but they do not effect the use. I am giving it a few more trips to shake out any other problems. Then I will make a list and take it in.

1. Cables to big TV cut in the slide.
2. No power on the fantastic fan.
3. Sofa is the worst. Wish there was a simple fix.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #12

My 2 cents

My perspective is one who has spent 2 winters living in my 31 UL, and when we travel, we are full hook up people. We don’t consider ourselves campers; therefor have not joined any clubs. We are travelers and when we finish traveling to the states we haven’t been to, we will go back to the places we enjoined the most. We have met wonderful people in our travels and hope to meet up with them again. Our 31 UL has had many of the same problems that others have had and we love it as much as others do. I don’t think these little problems are any different than other brands or people with houses. If anything, our options for getting things fixed are greater because we move around. This forum provides us with more information about a particular thing than anything I can think of. I feel very fortunate to have chosen our model and our dealer

Bob.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #13

Purchase a 2016 if possible

Afternoon, we have owned a 2014 and 2016 Precept 29UR. There are MANY reasons to purchase a 2016 model year coach over the 2015, if you have a choice.

The two biggest 2016 Advantages
- 6 speed transmission for Ford V10, F53 chasis - very much worth the upgrade, much smoother, runs at lower RPMs, quieter, etc...
- Significant improvements to the slide mechanism - from experience my recommendation is to go no where near the old Power Gear liner gear slide mechanisms - they are finicky at best
- Keyless door entry - nice feature
- U-dinnette (29UR) which allows a table to be up while you are driving

If you are considering the 2015 model, here are some of the design change(s) I would look for before purchasing.

MAIN SLIDE
Definitely check to see if the new slide mechanisms are present. You can tell by checking the largest slide - if it has two large rails underneath the slide - then you are good to go. These new slides use a larger motor(s) that are physically tied together via shaft and do not rely on a 'computer' to try to keep them in sync.
If it uses linear gears on the outside, I would not purchase that coach.

Compare the driver frameless windows, the 2016 design is quieter

Good luck!
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote