Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #1

New Alante 27A Dead Battery

We bought our new 2020 Alante 27A in December, just before xmas. Drove it home 350 miles from VA to CT and its been covered during our Northeast winter since. We finally opened it up this weekend and discovered the engine battery was completely dead. Nothing would operate in the driver's area: steps, windshield screen, etc. It only sat for 3 months??? I've never removed batteries or the negative cable on my previous RV's. I'm not sure how this battery died so fast.

I didn't have a charger, but I did have another battery so I could move the RV back to our driveway. As soon as I connected the battery cables I heard sounds like electronics were turning on.

Does anybody know if there are things drawing from the engine battery? I had everything turned off inside the coach; radio, lights, etc. I can't figure out how this battery died. I am hoping that maybe the battery was defective and it froze during the past few months possibly dropping a cell which killed it.
MikeRV4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:56 AM   #2

Mike,

Some electronics always have power, e.g.,
- Radio/entertainment center to maintain settings and clock
- Various Relays, e.g., to detect you opened the door and allows the steps to come out

To help ensure that your batteries, whether engine/chassis or house coach batteries don't go dead....
1) consider what I've done @ https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html or,
2) removed batteries (take home and keep on an intelligent Battery tender), or
3) at least disconnect the Neg cable at the batteries.

With your cold winters in CT, the last option I wouldn't recommend.

Good luck,
Mark
Old 03-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #3

Possible wiring to Aux switch is wrong

Mark,

I've seen your upgrades thread, awesome stuff. You are definitely very knowledgeable. I came across this wiring diagram on the website. Look at the Aux Switch in the center of the diagram, mine is wired with the white ground on the bottom post and the purple\orange wires on the top post. Opposite from the Jayco schematic. I wonder if this is why the battery boost didn't work when I tried to start the engine with the house batteries. Not sure if it is causing my chassis battery to drain though.
Attached Thumbnails
wiring pic.JPG  
MikeRV4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #4

December to March in cold weather, without starting or charging, will drain any battery and this is normal.

In a very cold climate the battery should be removed and stored indoors or a battery maintainer should be installed.

My owner's manual specifically says to disconnect the batteries during storage.

As a note, there is enough parasitic power draw from the chassis electronics alone to drain a battery in less than a month of non-use.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRV4Life View Post
Mark,

I've seen your upgrades thread, awesome stuff. You are definitely very knowledgeable. I came across this wiring diagram on the website. Look at the Aux Switch in the center of the diagram, mine is wired with the white ground on the bottom post and the purple\orange wires on the top post. Opposite from the Jayco schematic. I wonder if this is why the battery boost didn't work when I tried to start the engine with the house batteries. Not sure if it is causing my chassis battery to drain though.
Hey Mike.... I believe this is a simple relay and the Pos 12vDC and neg don't matter.... i.e., it's a simple electro/magnetic on or off switch.

Here's my assumptions looking at the diagram (my opinion only!). Also, a diagram is one thing, but the wiring and switches in Jayco are a rats nest and all over the place, e.g, outside battery tray area, under the bed, under the dash and engine bay... so never sure what else is connected and it's best to trace out in person to be sure. But based on my 34G, I'll give you my "thoughts".

The Aux Switch in pics 1 and 2 below, i.e., the BIM I believe?
The 2 purple "Ignition" wires from the aux switch are Hot only when Ignition Key is On or in Start positions. The 4ga Red is the Chassis Battery cable and the 4ga Black it the House/Coach Battery from your supplied diagram.

The Hot Insulator Stud as labeled in your diagram is connected in the battery bay pic 4. Pic 3 is the Disconnect switch in your diagram. In pic 5, lower right bottom, you'll see another insulated stud with power from the coach/house batter and with a black wire with orange tape running to the Inverter

The diagram you supplied looks like a purple ignition wire from the aux sw (BIM) to a relay may be under the bed from what I can "guess".

At the end of the day, I believe your best options would be #2 I stated in first post.... just remove the batteries in the winter and put on a battery tender.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
BIM.PNG   IMG_0512.jpg   IMG_0514.jpg   IMG_0511.jpg   IMG_0558.jpg  

Old 03-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #6

We purchased an Alante 27a in January of 2021. Got it home and noticed a light on in the engine compartment! Upon checking the outside storage compartments we found 3 other lights on! I wonder if this is your problem. We were loading the rig to head out probably why we found them on
Little bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:15 PM   #7

Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRV4Life View Post
We bought our new 2020 Alante 27A in December, just before xmas. Drove it home 350 miles from VA to CT and its been covered during our Northeast winter since. We finally opened it up this weekend and discovered the engine battery was completely dead. Nothing would operate in the driver's area: steps, windshield screen, etc. It only sat for 3 months??? I've never removed batteries or the negative cable on my previous RV's. I'm not sure how this battery died so fast.

I didn't have a charger, but I did have another battery so I could move the RV back to our driveway. As soon as I connected the battery cables I heard sounds like electronics were turning on.

Does anybody know if there are things drawing from the engine battery? I had everything turned off inside the coach; radio, lights, etc. I can't figure out how this battery died. I am hoping that maybe the battery was defective and it froze during the past few months possibly dropping a cell which killed it.
Had the same issue. Dead battery. Pulled the battery, cleaned the connections, charged for a few hours. hooked it up and heard the same thing as you. Sounded like solenoids or relays humming. Everything works as it should. To avoid this in the future I installed a permanent mount battery maintainer/tender. My RV is in cover storage and on shore power all winter. That takes care of the house batteries, but not the chassis battery. With a tender, I should be good yo go.
Glenn57 is offline   Reply With Quote