Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #1

[New Issue 1 of 2] TV Mount Dislodged from Wall

So I kept hearing a rattle and I couldn't find it, which I know isn't anything new in an RV, but it was driving me nuts. Finally located it..... our TV is on one of those fancy lift mounts so it can be stored within a counter top and then raised above it when you want to use it. Well, when Jayco installed the unit they didn't anchor the upper part of the mount to a stub or anything of substance. The mount screws were just driven directly into the paneling. Over time the weight of the mount and the TV combined to act as a slide hammer and the screws pulled right through the paneling leaving the TV mount (and the TV) unsecured and banging around inside the counter cavity.

So, if you have such a mount you might want to check it to be sure its tight.

Now, since the paneling was destroyed and I couldn't move the mount I needed a solution to repair. My fix was to take a 24"x6" piece of 1/16" steel plate and affix it to the wall with a very liberal use of double sided heavy duty gorilla tape, rated to hold 30+ lbs of vertical load. I then used self tapping machine screws to mount the TV mount to the plate.

I'm not sure this is the best solution, but it was simple, relatively cheap, and the screws shouldn't pull through the steel the way they did the paneling. Check your TV mounts and if you have a similar problem this fix might help. If you have a better/alternate fix add it in the comments so anyone else with this problem has some options.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

[New Issue 2 of 2] Water Comes In When Slide is Retracted

I've never had this problem [that I've noticed] with any other RV, this one included until now, but when I brought my slide in this past weekend a bunch of water came in with it and then ran off into the coach once the leveling jacks were retracted.

I have a slide topper awning and I don't get any water coming in during rain storms with the slide in or out, but this time afte retracting the slide I had a puddle of water on the slide after pulling it in. I thought there were supposed to be wiper seals or something on top of the slide to prevent this type of thing.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any ideas on what to look for to resolve the problem? I'm still not sure how any appreciable amount of water found its way to pooling on the top of my slide to begin with as I assumed the slide toppers would stop that. Any suggestions as to what to look at/for are appreciated. Thanks!

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

The wipers don't always get all the water. We get some inside after a hard rain. I bought a cheap leaf blower to get most of the water off the slides after a downpour. Seems to work so far.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

I have an x213 with a king-sized bed slide in the back. We have no toppers, so I use a snow brush (with an extendible handle) with a brush on one side and a squeegee on the other to remove debris (branches/leaves), then the water. I sometimes use a towel wrapped around it as well to make sure it is really clean.
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote