Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #1

New Member Question - RV GPS Worth the Investment?

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and ask a simple question. I've been pulling/driving RVs for the last 6 years or so. I recently had my motorhome stolen over the Memorial Day weekend (that might be a later post) and was fortunate enough to replace it with a 2020 Jayco Precept 36a. I love the forum and already have found several items to help me with modifications (that might be a later post as well) I've been living and breathing this motorhome to get it ready for my next trip which leads to my question.

I've been doing this for several years and have never owned a RV specific GPS. I'm starting to travel out west more now with a major trip to Colorado in a couple of weeks. I'm looking into possibly investing in a Garmin 785 GPS to help mostly with grades and curves as I know Colorado can be an adventure.

Money is a little tight right now as I have had to replace every single item that I lost from my older Georgetown 33B3 that was stolen including my old tow bar setup. Would the 785 be worth the investment over my phone and Google Maps? Is there a better unit in the same price range?

I did do a forum search (I'm not a total forum noob - lol). I didn't really find anything that helped me with my specific question. I would love to get some experienced, wise answers.

Thanks!! Excited to be in the forum and hope I can contribute in the future.
apgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

This is just my take. I'm happy with Google Maps and RVParky. I also use Recreation.gov and reserveamerica. I do have an old regular Garmin that I sometime use.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #3

Thanks Jim. I'll have to take a look at Rvparky. I've never used that site.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #4

Welcome, but sorry to hear about the circumstances that brought you here. I’ve been using a Garmin RV specific (I thing 765) for eight years now and wouldn’t be without it - too much information (height clearance, weight clearance, grade, etc.) that a standard GPS or your phone won’t give you.

As I recall the Rand McNally RV GPS is cheaper than the Garmin, but a friend has one and I’m not impressed with it. Feels very clunky to me and IMHO it gives you too much information - the thing wouldn’t shut up.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #5

Thanks Rob! How does the Garmin give you the grade information? Does it show up as you approach the grade while driving, or does it summarize it as part of the routing when you punch in your destination?
Old 07-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #6

I've decided to go with the RV Life Pro app on my phone. One, at $49.99 a year, I can use it for almost 6 years before it costs more than the Garmin. Two, I liked the RV trip wizard website on my PC for planning purposes. It shows me grade and elevation information and is RV friendly from a routing standpoint. Three, I can use my iPhone with my dash setup while driving with the GPS. It supports Carplay which allows me to have it up on my dash head unit if needed (I'll mainly have it up on my phone on the dash).

I've used the GPS the last day or so in my Jeep. It isn't as polished as Google maps, buts its adequate, and I can have both running if needed. I'll update here as I gain more experience with it after my Colorado trip.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #7

I've always rolled w/ the Garmin RV version. I also have a membership here:

Low Clearances

You can import POI's for bridge/overpass height based on your particular rig. Belt and suspenders approach for whatever the GPS may store.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Belt and suspenders approach for whatever the GPS may store.
I'm all about belt and suspenders now! I have three separate layers of security on in this motorhome. It might be overkill but someone would really need to work to drive this one off.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #9

I am definitely IN the market for a Garmin RV GPS.

My old, non RV Garmin led me on a merry adventure in Kentucky on a narrow, low overhanging branch road on to another narrow road leading to a low, 8', narrow, 8' again, railroad overpass.
Fortunately the class C I had did not have a vehicle in tow and I was able to back up and get out of there before I got in REAL trouble.

I can definitely see the value in a GPS that will you OFF such routes.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgarrett View Post
I've been doing this for several years and have never owned a RV specific GPS.
Well, hate to say this but you actually own one now if you go into your GPS settings and select 'bus" instead of car. Soundstream Infotainment Dash Radio w/GPS & CD/DVD Player settings page 30.

https://soundstream.com/wp-content/u...compressed.pdf
Old 07-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #11

Too bad that one is sitting in a box Mike. Haha.

That stereo was more of a hazard to me due to its distraction when trying to adjust.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #12

I just bought a spiral bound Rand McNally Motor Carriers map for big rigs as suggested by another member. Very informative and worth the money.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I just bought a spiral bound Rand McNally Motor Carriers map for big rigs as suggested by another member. Very informative and worth the money.
That’s a great idea. I’m ordering one.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Might have been me.

My route steps:

Using a PC or MAC plot the initial course on Google Maps. I use a PC or MAC so I can directly modify the route.

Once I have a route, I then use my motor carrier atlas to make sure the route doesn’t include anything that will hang me up.

If everything looks good, I print the route going and coming back. The DW will use that to guide me. The RV GPS is there to keep me honest with where I’m going (and in the event of a detour, traffic, etc. it becomes the primary navigator).

Again, my RV GPS also has the POIs inputted by the Low Clearances website.

Excessive perhaps, but it works for me and allows me to travel w/ little worry.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Well, hate to say this but you actually own one now if you go into your GPS settings and select 'bus" instead of car. Soundstream Infotainment Dash Radio w/GPS & CD/DVD Player settings page 30.

https://soundstream.com/wp-content/u...compressed.pdf
Been there done that a few years ago. The bus setting will take you down some narrow alleys and streets where the Garmin RV GPS will not. Same applies to the GPS in the current rig. I will stick with the Garmin.

Also, I use RV Trip Wizard for initial routing, finding campgrounds along the route and calculating fuel stops. Well worth the annual subscription.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #16

My gps and old road maps led me up 550 from mesa verde to montrose, co. I did not realize that road has nicknames. Million dollar highway, highway to hell, most dangerous road in America. Over 400 people have died on that road on the last 30 years. Sure was purdy. Should I mention the 2000 foot drops with no guard rails?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Might have been me.

My route steps:

Using a PC or MAC plot the initial course on Google Maps. I use a PC or MAC so I can directly modify the route.

Once I have a route, I then use my motor carrier atlas to make sure the route doesn’t include anything that will hang me up.

If everything looks good, I print the route going and coming back. The DW will use that to guide me. The RV GPS is there to keep me honest with where I’m going (and in the event of a detour, traffic, etc. it becomes the primary navigator).

Again, my RV GPS also has the POIs inputted by the Low Clearances website.

Excessive perhaps, but it works for me and allows me to travel w/ little worry.

I believe you're right!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #18

I can't speak for the older versions of any maps, but I have never had an issue in bus mode.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #19

Thanks to everyone that gave input!!
Old 07-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #20

They are no good if you are in the NY area. In nj/ny they have “parkways” which you are not allowed on with rvs, trailers commercial vehicles etc. These parkways will usually have low bridges also. I purchased a Garmin RV 770 and I put a test address in there and went in my truck without camper. First thing it did was take me on a forbidden parkway. It did warn me to get off at a certain point because there was an upcoming low bridge lower then the height I inputted for my Jayco however it shouldn’t have put me on there in the first place. So to sum it up it the Garmin was a waste of money. It might work outside the NY area but unfortunately I have no trust that it will keep me on RV safe roads.
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote