Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #1

Talking New owner and member of the group

We purchased a new 2017 Precept 35UP this weekend at the Tampa RV show. Take delivery in a few weeks. It’s our 4th RV but first drivable. We are trading an F350 diesel and Columbus 5th wheel. Nice rig but looking forward to the convenience of drivable since we mostly weekend camp. We skipped the full paint since we camp mostly in Florida. Felt the all white would stay cooler.

I will say the problem posts here and there about jayco or precept are worrisome but honestly we saw the same thing in the Columbus member groups/forums too. We had our warranty issues with all of them but overall have been lucky so far.

At the show we walked through Winnebago, Nexus, Fleetwood, Tiffin and Newmar gas models. I like some features on all but all had features I didn’t like. Would love to have a new Allegro open road or Newmar Canyon Star but we felt for the price our precept offered most bang for buck. Ours is on the same 22k ford f53 chassis with 22.5” Alcoa wheels and Michelin tires. Same ford engine. I felt the interior on the 17 precept was on par with many except maybe the Allegro. The biggest difference I felt was wall and storage door thickness and maybe slightly tighter looking tolerances on the Newmar/Tiffin stuff. I know they are better but I didn’t feel they were 50k better for our needs/usage.

Anyway, we are excited to start our new adventure and look forward to being a part of this group.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #2

TX,

Congrats on your new rig. We, too, bought our Jayco at a Tampa RV show just a few months ago. We don't have a drivable yet, but we do keep moving up in sizes, so who knows what the future will bring.
Welcome to Team Jayco!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #3

Welcome. We have a nice Facebook page, Jayco Precept Owners, also.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #4

Welcome
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome. We joined the Facebook page over the weekend.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #6

Congratulations on your purchase. Have our 2017 31UL for one year and really enjoy it.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #7

Welcome to the JOF and congratulations on your new coach. Be sure to join the Precept Owners Group on the Community tab and share your stories and insight. Or just browse all the threads and catch up on the history of the Precept since it was introduced in 2014. Hopefully you will have a trouble free rig and a reputable dealer but if not, rest assured that Jayco Motorized CS stands behind their product and don’t hesitate to call them if necessary. Enjoy your new lifestyle and safe travels.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #8

Did they have a 2017 at the show? I thought there were only 18s.
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
We purchased a new 2017 Precept 35UP this weekend at the Tampa RV show. Take delivery in a few weeks. It’s our 4th RV but first drivable. We are trading an F350 diesel and Columbus 5th wheel. Nice rig but looking forward to the convenience of drivable since we mostly weekend camp. We skipped the full paint since we camp mostly in Florida. Felt the all white would stay cooler.

I will say the problem posts here and there about jayco or precept are worrisome but honestly we saw the same thing in the Columbus member groups/forums too. We had our warranty issues with all of them but overall have been lucky so far.

At the show we walked through Winnebago, Nexus, Fleetwood, Tiffin and Newmar gas models. I like some features on all but all had features I didn’t like. Would love to have a new Allegro open road or Newmar Canyon Star but we felt for the price our precept offered most bang for buck. Ours is on the same 22k ford f53 chassis with 22.5” Alcoa wheels and Michelin tires. Same ford engine. I felt the interior on the 17 precept was on par with many except maybe the Allegro. The biggest difference I felt was wall and storage door thickness and maybe slightly tighter looking tolerances on the Newmar/Tiffin stuff. I know they are better but I didn’t feel they were 50k better for our needs/usage.

Anyway, we are excited to start our new adventure and look forward to being a part of this group.

Congratulations! Did they have a 2017 at the show? I thought there were only 18s.
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #10

Sorry for late reply. The 2017 was at the dealership. They told us about it after discussing what we were looking for so we went to the dealership to see and test drive it.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #11

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #12

Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forum and congrats on the new rig. You probably saved a bundle by going to the dealer and grabbing the 2017 model. Happy Camping. I used to live in the Plant City/Tampa area and they put on a really good and BIG RV show at the Fairgrounds there. My Son said traffic was horrendous there last week.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forum and congrats on the new rig. You probably saved a bundle by going to the dealer and grabbing the 2017 model. Happy Camping. I used to live in the Plant City/Tampa area and they put on a really good and BIG RV show at the Fairgrounds there. My Son said traffic was horrendous there last week.
Thanks. Don’t know about a bundle but it was the best deal out of all the places I had been trying the weeks before to put something together.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #14

As an update, since purchase like many others we’ve made a lot of improvements to handling by adding one at a time, a safe-t-plus, a hellwig 1.75” auxiliary rear sway bar, an Ultra RV rear track bar, front end alignment and 6 tire rebalance. Also installed a new TST TPMS system with pass through sensors and color display.

Alignment was off and Jayco reimbursed $150 for that. All tires were out of balance with 1 requiring repositioning tire on the wheel to get it to balance.

And we installed a Progressive Industries on board surge protector, ARB twin pump air compressor, turned our bottom bunk bed into our dogs kennel and extended the bed platform a few inches with a 4” foam mattress topper.

Lots of fun. Still have the initial warranty fix list items as well as a few we’ve found during use. Hope to start getting those tackled soon once the dealer has parts.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #15

New owner 31 ul

Found it very interesting reading about the suspension upgrades you added. We are installing an electric lift for a motorcycle (373 lbs) on the back and the suspension upgrades should make for a safer ride. I found all the parts you mentioned on Ultra R Products.... I am also having a re-alignment performed because the steering wheel was off center from the factory. Will post pictures when all is done
sheehro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehro View Post
Found it very interesting reading about the suspension upgrades you added. We are installing an electric lift for a motorcycle (373 lbs) on the back and the suspension upgrades should make for a safer ride. I found all the parts you mentioned on Ultra R Products.... I am also having a re-alignment performed because the steering wheel was off center from the factory. Will post pictures when all is done
Look forward to hearing your results. I’ve recently ordered sumo springs to add to ours to continue to improve the ride/Drive. Last up will eventually be some kona shocks but I’m adding one thing at a time to compare the changes.

We tend to always be driving in heavy wind and something about our coach seems to make it a handful some days, even with the add on’s added so far. The only thing I can think is the layout of tanks on the 35up must put a lot of weight behind the rear axle. Makes me think it would have been better on the 24k chassis with the 20”longer wheel base.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehro View Post

A front end alignment will not correct the steering wheel off center problem. You will need to call Jayco and get a warranty authorization and take it to a truck center or Ford Truck center. The centering issue is corrected in the steering box.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #18

Here is the picture of the motorcycle lift with the scooter installed. Also had the steering wheel centered, front end aligned and safety plus added. Having Bilstein's installed tomorrow. Front end seemed a little lighter when I was driving home from shop but not much difference. Measured the distance before and after installation and the rear drops by 1/2 inch when the bike is installed so I like the idea of new springs. I will tell you - having this scooter at the camp sites sure is fun!https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1528848303
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpg  
Old 06-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #19

had Bilstein shocks installed on my 31 ul today. Turns out that I had 4 factory Ford (oil)shocks installed - NOT SACHS shocks that are supposed to come with the J-Ride. That explains the poor ride. VERY Frustrating that you pay for something and don't get it. Working with the dealership now to remedy the situation.