Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2022, 11:17 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Henderson
Posts: 48
New Precept 31ul..maybe

Hi all. We are strongly considering buying a new Precept 31UL. It isnt here yet (Las Vegas Nevada), it is on order. Our quest for a Class A has been about 8 months so far, and though we found a used coach we kinda liked, it had some questionable issues and somehow the dealer seemed a little ... well, I didnt think we were getting straight answers. So, we contacted the dealer we bought out current Jayco Greyhawk from, Johnnie Walker RV, looking for a used coach. There aren't any appropriate ones here in town, let alone any at this dealer. So, our heads turn towards new.
After seeing a sweet Windsport, we find we do appreciate new but it appears the Jayco Precept is a more solid coach, based on tech specs online. We wont actually see one until it arrives sometime in the next couple of weeks. Assuming the rig suits us in real life....I would really appreciate hearing from owners of this lovely Precept 31UL, or other Precepts too, about what you like about your coach.


Any experiences with handling on the roads as well as using the many features they have would be helpful and welcome.


Thanks in advance.
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:44 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 62
We just test drove one yesterday. Handles well.
We purchased a Precept 34 G. Should take delivery in about 9 weeks.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Fort White
Posts: 755
Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Don't have a precept, so can't speak to handling specifically on the 31UL, but alot of folks with the F53 some combination of the following chassis mods to help with handling.

1. Steering Stabilizer
2. CHF (Cheap Handling Fix)
3. Rear Trac Bar sometimes referred to as a pan hard bar
4. Sumo Springs
5. Koni Shocks

Personally, I was able to do 1-3 and my coach handles fine now, user preference prevails. I would be prepared to have some of these mods done based on how it handles loaded. Here's a good thread on some of the stuff a former owner (Mark) did to his 34G.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...cept+31ul+mods
__________________
Michael & Angela Foret
North Central Florida
2019 Entegra Vision 31V
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 4,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolguy5 View Post
We just test drove one yesterday. Handles well.
We purchased a Precept 34 G. Should take delivery in about 9 weeks.

Congrats!
__________________
2022 Jayco Precept 36C
2022 Hyundai Venue (Toad)
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 4,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Don't have a precept, so can't speak to handling specifically on the 31UL, but alot of folks with the F53 some combination of the following chassis mods to help with handling.

1. Steering Stabilizer
2. CHF (Cheap Handling Fix)
3. Rear Trac Bar sometimes referred to as a pan hard bar
4. Sumo Springs
5. Koni Shocks

Personally, I was able to do 1-3 and my coach handles fine now, user preference prevails. I would be prepared to have some of these mods done based on how it handles loaded. Here's a good thread on some of the stuff a former owner (Mark) did to his 34G.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...cept+31ul+mods

Yes, I agree with this I did everything but the Sumo and driving from PNW to ID was like night and day you will thank yourself later.
__________________
2022 Jayco Precept 36C
2022 Hyundai Venue (Toad)
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ishpeming, MI
Posts: 427
Make sure you are comfortable with the interior when the slides are in. Particularly if you have passengers who may need to use the facilities while you are driving. That was one of the reasons we chose our floor plan. There have been a few minor issues over the 5 years we have had ours but overall we are quite pleased with it. A lot of bang for the buck when you compare to other brands with similar layouts and features.
__________________
2016 Precept 35S
Rice1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Henderson
Posts: 48
Congrats Toolguy! Hopefully we wont need to add the new stabilizers and springs and things with our new Precepts, fingers crossed!



Does anyone wonder why the rigs aren't built for highway driving in the first place? Like, does Jayco and all other manufacturers think that the folks who buy these things (us) will only be on perfectly paved low speed roads all of the time? Geez...


Good point, Rice1951. This model has a tight but definitely roomy enough space when the slides are in. We have seen one or two of other types that might be a real problem for "facility" use while underway. Mostly, your five years with it says a lot! I guess there is a reason used ones on the market are rare.


Thanks for the input everyone. Happy trails!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 4,062
I think that somewhere I seen were they are going to start putting on Koni's shock from the factory and that would save about $800 dollars.
__________________
2022 Jayco Precept 36C
2022 Hyundai Venue (Toad)
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:59 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Plano
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I think that somewhere I seen were they are going to start putting on Koni's shock from the factory and that would save about $800 dollars.
It would be more convenient to have the factory install the shocks but you won't likely be saving any $$$.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 4,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
It would be more convenient to have the factory install the shocks but you won't likely be saving any $$$.
Agree, they will likely charge you more than what it cost.
__________________
2022 Jayco Precept 36C
2022 Hyundai Venue (Toad)
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Finally Able's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 378
We picked up our new 31UL this past May, and have put about 1000 miles on it so far. We love it! We chose it for the floor plan -- the 31 UL has what we need (didn't want bunks, or washer/dryer). My wife and I are retired and it's just us and our 2 dogs (more about this below.)

We bit the bullet and got it with full body paint (Alpine), and are so happy we did -- the black/white/blue/grey are much different than the usual cream color or earth tones that you see everywhere. It makes us smile, and have gotten a lot of compliments.

Also:
*We ordered it without the drop-down bunk, as you lose cabinet space above the cockpit, and 95+% of the time we won't have either adult guests or a grandchild with us. If we did, it's unlikely our friends would enjoy climbing the ladder to the drop-down bunk anyway.

*We chose not to have theater seats, as then there'd be no room for the dogs! Also, the sofa opens up into a bed, so if we do have occasional guests they can sleep there. (It's pretty hard, so we've ordered a thin mattress for it.

*Handling has improved with a Safe-T-Plus Steering stabilizer and new Koni FSB shocks; install was done by a truck/RV shop. Also had it aligned right after. Other enhancements ate likely (rear Trac bar, maybe CHF.)

*We flat-tow a Chevy Equinox, and it pulls it nicely.

*The res fridge is HUGE. We wish the shower were slightly bigger -- not nearly as much room as our previous Jayco TT. But we do like the separate toilet and shower, separated by a hallway.

*The bathroom is accessible when traveling, as is the kitchen. When the slides are pulled in it's tight but manageable to get through.

I could go on, but to summarize, we love it and can't wait to get back on the road again -- heading to Cape Cod from NH in early October.
Attached Thumbnails
20220530_093830.jpg  
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:46 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Henderson
Posts: 48
Nice looking rig there! Thanks for the 1st hand review. We are also just two humans, one canine and one feline, so the size of the 31UL seems perfect. Much more room than our 29 ft Greyhawk, especially in the bathroom...well, everywhere actually, lol.
We hope to see one in person in the next few weeks, it is due at the dealer probably at the end of the month. After hearing from owners and other experienced folks here, all we need now is to see how it "feels" to us. Cant wait!
Still a little concerned about needing to add heavier duty stabilizers than the ones they list on the specs. Maybe it will be windy when we test drive it ( good chance of that around here) and we can tell from that. On the other hand, we all know the true test is being passed by a semi on an open stretch of freeway.

Thanks again!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 4,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
We picked up our new 31UL this past May, and have put about 1000 miles on it so far. We love it! We chose it for the floor plan -- the 31 UL has what we need (didn't want bunks, or washer/dryer). My wife and I are retired and it's just us and our 2 dogs (more about this below.)

We bit the bullet and got it with full body paint (Alpine), and are so happy we did -- the black/white/blue/grey are much different than the usual cream color or earth tones that you see everywhere. It makes us smile, and have gotten a lot of compliments.

Also:
*We ordered it without the drop-down bunk, as you lose cabinet space above the cockpit, and 95+% of the time we won't have either adult guests or a grandchild with us. If we did, it's unlikely our friends would enjoy climbing the ladder to the drop-down bunk anyway.

*We chose not to have theater seats, as then there'd be no room for the dogs! Also, the sofa opens up into a bed, so if we do have occasional guests they can sleep there. (It's pretty hard, so we've ordered a thin mattress for it.

*Handling has improved with a Safe-T-Plus Steering stabilizer and new Koni FSB shocks; install was done by a truck/RV shop. Also had it aligned right after. Other enhancements ate likely (rear Trac bar, maybe CHF.)

*We flat-tow a Chevy Equinox, and it pulls it nicely.

*The res fridge is HUGE. We wish the shower were slightly bigger -- not nearly as much room as our previous Jayco TT. But we do like the separate toilet and shower, separated by a hallway.

*The bathroom is accessible when traveling, as is the kitchen. When the slides are pulled in it's tight but manageable to get through.

I could go on, but to summarize, we love it and can't wait to get back on the road again -- heading to Cape Cod from NH in early October.

Congrats! We just got back from our two weeks stay and love it, driving back to were we bought it from, at the campground there, was so much better than when we first pick it up.

We did all of the mods that you mention and I'm thinking about the Radius Rod, I didn't get the painted one though I wish we did but they didn't have any on the lot but all in all we are please with our.

We both my DW and I are retired also but we both pastor's of a church so we can't get out all the time but when we do we really enjoy ourselves, so far I have about little over 3K on it now.

We hope to go back out one more time before I winterize but if we don't it's all good.
__________________
2022 Jayco Precept 36C
2022 Hyundai Venue (Toad)
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:26 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Finally Able's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvernelle View Post
Nice looking rig there! Thanks for the 1st hand review. We are also just two humans, one canine and one feline, so the size of the 31UL seems perfect. Much more room than our 29 ft Greyhawk, especially in the bathroom...well, everywhere actually, lol.
We hope to see one in person in the next few weeks, it is due at the dealer probably at the end of the month. After hearing from owners and other experienced folks here, all we need now is to see how it "feels" to us. Cant wait!
Still a little concerned about needing to add heavier duty stabilizers than the ones they list on the specs. Maybe it will be windy when we test drive it ( good chance of that around here) and we can tell from that. On the other hand, we all know the true test is being passed by a semi on an open stretch of freeway.

Thanks again!
You're welcome! Best of luck in your search. Unfortunately, the aftermarket handling enhancements seem necessary, but will add to your comfort level when driving.

Also, I forgot to add comment about the Girard tankless water heater. I'd read a lot of posts about tankless vs tanked, and admit I was a bit leery about the Girard. It takes some getting used to -- we set the temp according to needs/preference: e.g., when I shower, 108°; 105° for my wife, and 120° if doing dishes.

When showering, we move the valve to the full hot position and water pleasingly remains at set temp (unless there's an interruption to the flow, even momentary, such as opening sink faucet, bumping the shower valve, etc. A flow switch turns burner off for safety, leading to immediate cold water until the burner kicks back on.) It's also fairly wasteful, but it can be managed. We've gotten used to it, and like it, although a tanked WH also has its advantages.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:37 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Finally Able's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvernelle View Post
Nice looking rig there! Thanks for the 1st hand review. We are also just two humans, one canine and one feline, so the size of the 31UL seems perfect. Much more room than our 29 ft Greyhawk, especially in the bathroom...well, everywhere actually, lol.
We hope to see one in person in the next few weeks, it is due at the dealer probably at the end of the month. After hearing from owners and other experienced folks here, all we need now is to see how it "feels" to us. Cant wait!
Still a little concerned about needing to add heavier duty stabilizers than the ones they list on the specs. Maybe it will be windy when we test drive it ( good chance of that around here) and we can tell from that. On the other hand, we all know the true test is being passed by a semi on an open stretch of freeway.

Thanks again!
You're welcome! Best of luck in your search.

Also, I forgot to add comment about the Girard tankless water heater. I'd read a lot of posts about tankless vs tanked, and admit I was a bit leery about the Girard. It takes some getting used to -- we set the temp according to needs/preference: e.g., when I shower, 108°; 105° for my wife, and 120° if doing dishes.

When showering, we move the valve to the full hot position and water pleasingly remains at set temp (unless there's an interruption to the flow, even momentary, such as opening sink faucet, bumping the shower valve, etc. A flow switch turns burner off for safety, leading to immediate cold water until the burner kicks back on.) It's also fairly wasteful, but it can be managed. We've gotten used to it, and like it, although a tanked WH also has its advantages.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Good old USA
Posts: 96
I have a 2018 31UL. Like others have said you do get some bang for your buck. I have taken it across county three time and have 7k miles on it. I have had some issues with it but fortunately nothing major just poor design flaws by Jayco. You can search my profile name on here for a little taste of what I have had go wrong. I would definitely get the full body paint, just looks better and I think will last better in the long run. BTW, mine came with the JPlus steering and suspension enhancements, I have not had any issues nor see the need for aftermarket updates. It also came with the Truma model tankless water heater. They used the cheapest one so it does take some time to get hot at first but my biggest grip is that you cannot use it in freezing conditions and there is not a warmer add-on for the model that they used. I dont know about the newer models if they still use the Truma.

On my last trip I ran into a guy who had the 2022 model. He asked me if I had any issues with getting the thing to do more than 65mph because his wouldn't??? I then saw that his had the new V8 while mine came with the V10. I can easily say that it will do 90-100mph with not issues and even when flat towing my vehicle. We also compared gas mileage and they were the same. Im glad that I got the V10 now.
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Calgary
Posts: 10
31 ul

One think to note is the Jayco 31 UL changed in 2020 to a longer wheel base and larger tires. I have a 2015 and love it. I have a sofa bed and would have definitely gone with the recliners instead with the over the driver bed. I find it drives great but it is important that you load them with balancing the weight. Not so much on the new ones as it has the longer wheel base and will handle better with that you loose a bit of turning radius. Good luck finding your new rv.
Kendob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Plantsville
Posts: 23
We own a 2016 Precept 31UL (purchased pre-owned). We have 19.5" tires. Yours will be 22" - that should improve the ride noticeably. Also, we had an absorption fridge - yours is residential... BIG difference in keeping things cold. It appears your coach batteries are AGM - I think they will not last that long with the residential fridge on. We upgraded our fridge to a 12 volt compressor unit and found the AGM battery capacity lacking, so we upgraded to 2 100AH battleborn batts. Batt capacity is better but still disappointed. Does your unit have solar panel option? We regret not getting the drop-down bed in front, but that is dependent on whether you can see a use for it. Water heater is way in the back - takes a while to get hot water to shower and sinks. Running the water to get it hot puts extra h2o in the holding tank - more frequent dumping. Our oem Jensen multi media player in front refused to play CD's - maybe yours won't have a CVD player! Had to replace it with a Kenwood. Overall, much better than previous Vista. Cover for storage under rear bed is HEAVY for us. Despite minor quibbles we are satisfied.
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:08 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Columbia
Posts: 209
Was surprised at price, saw some online for $159,000. Not bad for new. Little short but for two should be fine. I could never use one as it does not have the towing capacity I need. Hope it works out good for you.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.