Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

new to class A , purchased alante 31v , ready in 2 weeks

All

We just entered into a contract for a 2018 Alante , Dealer prep / test inprocess. picking up on August 11

we want to take it camping the following week, can anyone tell us what is included with the Motor coach and what we should be searching /purchasing to prepare (not pots pans , plates etc)

examples - water hoses (type length)
Electrical lines / plugs
Suggestions for Gas grill and mounting options

Yep a real newbie excited to get started
Laycox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #2

Congratulations. You're in for a lot of fun outings.

Most dealers include a "starter pack" but the items ares not necessarily higher quality. Instead, our dealer gives buyers credit in their RV supply store so we could pick out what we wanted. (As part of our negotiations we had them increase our store credit.)

Our Greyhawk came with a gas grill, mounting connections on the side of the RV, and a hose to connect to the LP system. Seems strange an Alante would not include a grill when ours did.

I think you'll want an EMS for electrical hookups. Surge protectors are cheaper, but an EMS also guards against high or low voltage, no ground, reversed polarity, etc. Our Greyhawk is a 30 amp RV, but I carry a dog bone adaptor allowing me to plug into a 50 amp outlet. I've had sites where the 30 amp receptacle was worn and our plug would not stay in. No problem. I just plugged into the 50 amp side.

Whichever sewer hose (AKA stinky slinky) you choose, also get a short section of clear pipe. It allows you to make sure you have the black tank empty and are not leaving sludge which can build up.

If the Alante has a black tank wash connection, get a separate water hose. You do not want to use your potable water hose for that. My hoses are different colors. And I carry a short potable water hose for campgrounds where I have a water connection on my site. I also carry a 75' hose. Joining the two allows me to usually reach a common spicket for refilling the freshwater tank when at a campground having a group water supply.

Have fun!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

Congratulations on the soon to be yours Alante and welcome to the forum.

There will be others along soon that maybe able to help with 'what is included' with an Alante.

If you search, you'll find posts from others asking the same question regarding equipment like water hoses, electrical cords, etc., etc., etc. Most of those kinds of 'accessories' apply to virtually every RV.

Two suggestions off the top of my head:
1) Pay very close attention when you do your 'PDI' (PreDelivery Inspection). If anything isn't clear, ask for them to go over it again. This is the time to be sure EVERYTHING works and that you know how to use it.
2) Make your first overnight stay very close to home... or do a 'camp driveway' at your house. In some cases, dealers will have a place for your night. Because of the newness of it all, there's little doubt you'll be confused at first.

It's not 'rocket science' but it is very new to you. If/when you have specific questions, there are a lot of folks on this site to help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #4

We just picked up an Alante 26AY. First thing I did was sanitize the fresh water tank. The owners manual has instructions for this. (You can download a manual from Jayco and read it before you get the keys in you hand - who wants to read manual then.)

I then pumped the water into my grey and black water tanks and then dumped them - I found out that they had the grey handle on the black tank and the black handle on the grey tank. I was glad I caught that little mistake. Easy to switch the handles. BTW they also had the labels on wrong too!

I doubt yours will be wrong but as you get to know your rig you could find things like this that were simple errors in construction that can cause confusion.

Mine was been really good with no real problems. Have fun!
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #5

Congratulations you guys!!!

As stated before, ask lots of questions during your walk through. Important thing to take note, check that the Wheel Wells are secure, and make sure the alignment has been done prior to your pickup.

As far as things to purchase, I recommend getting some non slip mats for your cupboards and drawers. Also, we found some collapsible, easily storable skillets that we use all the time for breakasts.

I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of. Congrats!
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #6

The power cord is included and non-detachable. You will need sewer hose, fresh water hose, black water flush hose, RG6 tv cable and 30 amp EMS/surge protector. Things to know: TV works while driving, only outlets that work on inverter are the main TV outlet and bedroom tv outlet and passenger outlet.

I suggest camp in your driveway or really close to home one night before taking out on the road. Oh, and stand in shower to make sure the bottom has support underneath before you take it home...many have had issues with too much flexing and water leakage. Also, check the rod in the closet. Ours was mounted too close to the back wall so hangars would not fit. There is plenty room if the rod is mounted correctly in the middle.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #7

A lot of what you get as a starter pack depends on your dealer.

Ours included:

Coffee Cups
Hats
TShirts
Fresh water hose
Dump hose
Extra water filter element
Toilet tissue
Tank chemicals (the enzyme type)
A 15a to 30a adapter, and a 50a to 30a adapter

We bought:

A black water flush hose
A better (Rhino) sewer hose
A clear dump hose adapter
An adjustable water pressure valve
A 30a surge protector (the expensive one that watches everything, and resets automatically.
Kitchen trash can (the kind with the swinging top)
MORE toilet tissue
A fold-up laundry hamper
A Oxygenics shower head
A bunch of the pewter looking double robe hooks
A couple more towel bars

Whew... just goes on and on... lol

Have fun, and be safe!!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #8

Oh, almost forgot... a two way hose splitter with shut-off valves, so you can hook up both the fresh water hose and the tank flush hose to the same campground hose bib.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote