Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

Night time surprise

Hi all. So my first night time driving experience ended up as a bit of a "white knuckler". I never thought of checking the headlights for proper alignment only made sure they were working. It was quite a surprise to find the drivers side headlight shining into the ground 15 feet in front of the vehicle. Thankfully the road wasn't extremely curvy. If you haven't driven at night yet, check 'em.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

I noticed my headlights were kinda low during a quick night trip around town. Have not been on hiway yet to see how they are. They are not as low as yours are but lower than I normally use which is lower than most people have. My night vision is still very good and I never have trouble with lower lights than most have.

We are leaving Las Vegas tonight headed for central Missouri straight thru. I will be driving all night tonight. I wrapped my rig last night with Road Wrap and even covered the headlights. I may have to stop and cut those open but will wait and see.

I did look at the headlights quickly once to see if they could be adjusted but did not see any way to do so. I did not get under rig and take a hard look however.

Has anyone or does anyone know how to adjust headlights on our Precepts?
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

There are multi point adjustment mounts for all three axis. We are pulling an all nighter in 3 weeks so I'll be working on that. Hoping this is an isolated thing but want everyone to be aware and safe.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

airman202 & mowdoc, thanks for the heads-up and info.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

The rubber trim around the passenger headlight has come loose and upon investigation the fiberglass on the bottom of the opening is too thick for the trim to fit properly. Has anyone seen this, as well. The only way that I can see to fix it is to remove the headlight assembly and to dremel the back side down. How hard is it to readjust the headlights?
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #6

Road wrap?
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #7

Headlight alignment

Checked mine and got the same surprise. Taking it in on Wednesday for warranty work of other items. Have added this to list.

Don
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFireman View Post
Road wrap?
Yes, this stuff Amazon.com: Road Wrap 18" x 100': Automotive

I used it three times so far with great results! Original wrap was for 3 days before removal and traveled from Southern Nevada to central Missouri. 2nd wrap was driven from central Missouri to Sturgis South Dakota and was on RV for one day only. Third wrap went from S.D to Nevada again and was on rig for two days.

I found putting edge of wrap just barely around corner of front cap an inch or so gave much less flapping. Covered headlights and cut out grill areas for engine cooling. Millions of Bugs but zero damage to Coach. I will use this Road Wrap on all long trips as long as I can find the stuff. It is not always in stock and I see CW is not showing it available today but that is where I got mine.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:30 AM   #9

Got a call from the dealer stating headlights are "within specs". Will charge if they correct the lights to see better. Calling Jayco today.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

Jayco said "Please have your dealer align the headlights and this will be covered by Jayco"
Old 11-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #11

Thanks for the update Wilcut.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 11-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #12

My headlights are held in by brackets. Are those the way to adjust th it are there places to adjust on the back of the lamp?
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #13

Unhappy Headlight issue...

We too discovered our severe head light issue on a 5 hour drive in the western Nebraska. Westbound US20 without a light in sight. My high beams were on our entire drive and I never had one passing vehicle in the opposing lane flash me back.

When I looked inside the hood to see if I could make an adjustment, my head spun. The contraption that holds the head lights in place didn't make for an easy adjustment. I did what I could, but it barely made a difference.

I pulled into a Ford dealership at my earliest convenience and we told it was a Jayco issue. I eventually got home to Connecticut from Wyoming do the best we could to avoid driving at night. We dropped off the coach at the Jayco dealership and asked them to fix the headlights.

When picking up the coach, it was explained to us that Jayco will NOT fix the headlight issue. The service manager explained that Jayco is aware of the problem and they will not address it other that asking the techs to do the best they can to fix them. In speaking with the tech that worked on my Precept, he said that he did the best he could but they couldn't bring them to anywhere close to where they need to be.

This is very disappointing because it's a safety issue. My next stop it with my friends at the CT DMV for an inspection to get their professional opinion.
roaddog767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #14

Sounds like a vehicle safety defect to me. Here is a NHTSA web site where you can report the problem: Safer Car.gov (clicky)
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #15

Thumbs up

No doubt. I was debating on waiting on that. But after thinking about it and what the technician and service manager said the stance by Jayco is on this issue, I'm contacting NHTSA tonight.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #16

Any word(s) from NHTSA on the lights.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #17

Just the auto reply about appreciating my email. Jayco themselves did respond and assured me that they DO fix the head light issue. They said if I can't get the dealer to do it properly, they will pay the bill from a Ford dealership. Sounds good. We'll see how things turn out when I get it out of storage in the spring.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #18

I have my doubts that the dealer knows how to adjust the lights. I have sent the following to Jayco and currently waiting for an answer.

Roger, Has anyone at Jayco come up with correct and acceptable adjustment procedures for adjusting the Headlight beams?

I have a 2015 35UN precept and we have a serious issue with the headlight adjustment. My dealer just finished my coach yesterday and the service included an adjustment (under warranty, Jayco paid) and the lights are as bad as they were. My low beams reach out maybe 20', about two feet more than they did before.

Have the dealers been furnished clear guide lines of the procedure of adjustment?

I'm sure you have the 'precept forum' checked from time to time to pick up any trends.

Any Assistance will be appreciated.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

Thank you Wilcut & roaddog767 for staying on top of this. We all benefit from it.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 01-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcut View Post
I have my doubts that the dealer knows how to adjust the lights. I have sent the following to Jayco and currently waiting for an answer.

Roger, Has anyone at Jayco come up with correct and acceptable adjustment procedures for adjusting the Headlight beams?

I have a 2015 35UN precept and we have a serious issue with the headlight adjustment. My dealer just finished my coach yesterday and the service included an adjustment (under warranty, Jayco paid) and the lights are as bad as they were. My low beams reach out maybe 20', about two feet more than they did before.

Have the dealers been furnished clear guide lines of the procedure of adjustment?

I'm sure you have the 'precept forum' checked from time to time to pick up any trends.

Any Assistance will be appreciated.
Pennsylvania has very specific criteria for headlight alignment and aiming to pass state vehicle inspection. I would be surprised if the other states don't.

In PA a mechanic and/or the dealership can lose their legal authorization tp perform state inspections for violations. In PA all you have to do is report your concerns to the state police and they will investigate.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote