Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #1

No Breaker on 10 outlets

I am mapping my electrical for a project and so I can mark the outlets that will and will not work while on the inverter only.

I have discovered based on the wiring as I understand it, that a 15AMP breaker only protects the outlets while on shore\generator power. When on inverter only there is no breaker from the inverter to the outlets?

I looked at the xantrex manual and it shows a sub-panel or breaker panel after the inverter (they call it an AC load panel). But in our Alante 26X I don't see anything after the inverter.

Does the inverter have some built-in protection \ self reset breaker? Are RV's allowed to have unprotected outlets?
Ryan_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_A View Post
I am mapping my electrical for a project and so I can mark the outlets that will and will not work while on the inverter only.

I have discovered based on the wiring as I understand it, that a 15AMP breaker only protects the outlets while on shore\generator power. When on inverter only there is no breaker from the inverter to the outlets?

I looked at the xantrex manual and it shows a sub-panel or breaker panel after the inverter (they call it an AC load panel). But in our Alante 26X I don't see anything after the inverter.

Does the inverter have some built-in protection \ self reset breaker? Are RV's allowed to have unprotected outlets?
My 2014 Seneca has a breaker in my power center feeding 120-volt AC power to my inverter, then the AC line out of the inverter goes to a separate subpanel with breakers protecting the circuits it feeds. Only my bedroom and front bunk TVs, as well as my microwave are fed from my inverter.

You don't have a second small breaker panel somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails
20200502_222054_resized.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:

It probably only feeds your TV's and possibly an outlet near your bed for a CPAP since it's only a 1,000 watt. They normally don't use a INVERTER sub panel then.

Every INVERTER that I've had in a rig also had it's own breaker/reset button.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:23 PM   #4

Thank you both for the reply.

Grumpy I suspect there has to be some kind of AC protection on the model currently installed.

Here is the layout in the current state

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AC Electrical-Current.png
Views:	21
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	78156

I just ordered another panel to use as my subpanel with my new inverter since I want 3 circuits to be able to run of battery\inverter power.

Thanks again
Old 01-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #5

My future state plan

My future state plan

Upgrading the inverter and adding a subpanel after the inverter.

Name:	RV AC Electrical-Future.drawio.png
Views:	11
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	78162
Old 01-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #6

You might want to study some electrical engineering before adding a sub-panel. Just because you add 3 circuits doesn't add any more wattage output to the inverter. And yes, there is a breaker in the panel feeding 120v to your inverter. Your "mapping" is a little flawed. Sorry if I offend you but I'm a retired electrician of 38 years.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:

Which model Xantrex do you have? Some of them have breaker(s) already on the output side of the inverter and if so, they are located just above where the power comes out of the inverter. The inverters with output breakers allow for a direct connection from the load (circuits) to the inverter and are protected by breakers already built into the inverter and only require an input breaker in the existing breaker panel. ~CA
Old 01-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Sorry if I offend you but I'm a retired electrician of 38 years.
No offense taken at all I appreciate your post and am grateful for you taking you time to post considering your experience.

Which mapping are you seeing as flawed the current state diagram or future state?

I am aware in the current state that a 15 amp breaker feeds into the inverter then leaves the inverter to the outlets. When I turn the inverter breaker off, with also no shore power plugged in and the generator off, but have the inverter on I get power to the outlets as expected but the power coming out of the inverter never passes through another breaker. I can follow the romax from the AC out connector in the inverter going to the first outlet then out of that outlet daisy chaining around the RV to the other outlets. I am the first owner so this setup is from the factory.

Now Grumpy thought the current inverter unit might have a built-in breaker but none that I could find if there is one its some kind of automated circuit breaker. I almost thought I saw the built-in breaker but after taking off the panel it not even hook up and is intended per the manule to be used in a special configuration when you install the xantrex 20AMP GFI outlet directly in the unit.

Here is that 20AMP breaker that isn't hooked up

Name:	4A9AD29C-CC70-4ABF-8EB2-BB8B2C7CF208.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	78166

Name:	3E75757B-70A4-4D0B-84B7-591F1B4C2FEA.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	78167

I am upgrading to a Xantrex XC Pro 2000. I have also upgraded my batteries to 4 Battleborn Lithium batteries and also will be upgrading all the DC cabling to 4/0 cable and will expect the longest cable to be no more than 4 feet from the batteries if not shorter. The subpanel is rated up to 50 AMP service.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #9

Craig thanks also for the reply the model I am removing is the xantrex freedom 1200
Old 01-08-2022, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Craig thanks also for the reply the model I am removing is the xantrex freedom 1200
I was looking at the specs and I didn't see that either the existing or the new inverter has any built-in inverter output breakers as you stated. They should have (better stated is that there should be an output breaker within the inverter or provided by the inverter installer between the load circuits and the inverter). In any case, the proposed wiring diagram setup appears to be well thought out and appropriate and certainly better than the setup you listed as the current setup. ~CA