Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2022, 07:00 PM   #1

No Idea How people can boondock

Hello All,

We are at a site with water and 30 amp (except it is currently down) and found that our nice new Jayco is a big fat LIAR!.

2/3 gray and the shower stops draining 2 days into our week.

We even tried conserving gray space by doing the dishes outside so "No idea how people can boondock" unless it's no shower stinky trip

Campsite charged us $22 to come by with mobile dump truck.

So we (me) DW doesn't want to spend the money, are looking at one of these.

https://www.camco.net/rhino-portable...1-gallon-39002 on sale at a nearby Canadian Tire for $336.59 Canadian.

Any reviews on this are welcome.

Regards,

John
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Hello All,

We are at a site with water and 30 amp (except it is currently down) and found that our nice new Jayco is a big fat LIAR!.

We even tried conserving gray space by doing the dishes outside so "No idea how people can boondock" unless it's no shower stinky trip

https://www.camco.net/rhino-portable...1-gallon-39002 on sale at a nearby Canadian Tire for $336.59 Canadian.

Regards,

John
Firstly if you are at a location that has power, you are not boon-docking. Boon-docking is no power, running off of batteries, no water except what is in your tanks and if you have a genny you use that power to run the other electrical. Batteries are the only power and there is nothing else. If you planned on something else, you failed to do your homework.
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Navy showers. Wet down, water off, soap up, rinse off.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Firstly if you are at a location that has power, you are not boon-docking. Boon-docking is no power, running off of batteries, no water except what is in your tanks and if you have a genny you use that power to run the other electrical. Batteries are the only power and there is nothing else. If you planned on something else, you failed to do your homework.
Well that is not helpful at all.

I never said we were boondocking just that I don't know how people can considering how limited our gray tank is.

Was actually looking for feedback on portable waste tanks like the one I linked to.

Thanks Grumpy, yeah we were trying that but trying to get tankless right even for that is pretty wasteful.

Regards,

John
Old 06-24-2022, 07:26 PM   #5

It appears this is your first trip with your new Alante. It also appears you have been camping long enough to know what to expect with holding tanks and water use. If your grey water tank gauge read 2/3 but the shower drain wouldn't take more water, it could be a problem with your tank vent or the drain pipe entering the tank not allowing proper venting. I would empty the tank, fill it with clean water until the shower stops draining, then empty the grey tank into buckets or a vessel that will allow you to measure the amount of water you get and compare that to the specified volume of the tank. If it doesn't match -take it back to the dealer!
To your question about the Camco 21 gallon tote, if you have a place to carry it, that is a decent size. I have a 15 gallon because I don't want to sacrifice the space, but 21 would be nicer. I assume you have a toad to pull it to the dump station, otherwise, it will be a lot of weight to pull by hand.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Another thing to check, is if the sensor wires are connected correctly on the side of the gray tank, or maybe the top 'full' wire is off. We had two wires switched from the factory, although not the same circumstance

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Hello All,

Regards,

John
I was just out w/ my bride and two grandkids ( Alante) and two days was pushing it for the gray water. Otherwise, just keep in mind the 21 gallon portable tank when full is going to weigh roughly 150 lbs., so if it's a hike to the dump and you're without a vehicle you've a chore. Thetford makes one with front wheels which you can pull like a wagon, which is another option. Those gauges, btw., are famously inaccurate. You'll learn workarounds, just hang in there. But yeah, that's a quality tank, I use one similar and pull it by hand, not a big deal.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #8

We started off "boondocking" in a tent. State campground sites had power but we didnt use it. We didnt have anything to plug in to it. And we hauled water from a faucet back to our site. As we evolved in our tent camping we started to use the power, but still had to haul water. We took showers at the campground shower rooms. Then we upgraded from a tent to a 34' 5th wheel. Battery power, water and shower was our "boondocking". Upgraded again to our current Northpoint and boondocking in that is running off of a genny and only being able to run one A/C unit.
Ahhhhhh, the days of tent camping! Life was much more simple! Lol!

At any rate, back to your questions and issues,... dont believe your tank level sensors. They all lie. When it wont take anymore water, it's full. Lol!
As far as the tote, when I was looking into getting one I originally was thinking of getting the largest one they made because my largest grey tank is 54gal. The Barker brand I was looking at had a 42gal was their largest. I'd still have 10gal left which requires another trip to fully empty it. 42gal of water in it plus the weight of the tank is around 350# you need to drag to the dump station. That's a lot of weight. I wanted one that has air filled tires instead of the plastic ones. Much more quiet when rolling it thru the campground to the dump station. I opted for the 25gal one. Air filled tires still roll pretty easy and I walk mine there. It'd look pretty ridiculous towing a tote behind a 3500 crew dually diesel anyway! Lol!
Getting the largest one means its gonna take up more space too. Find the one with the right size for you to store and transport. The Barker brand is made in Michigan, USA too.
Check these out...

https://www.barkermfg.com/4-wheel.html

Yeah, they are a little more money but...
Old 06-24-2022, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Navy showers. Wet down, water off, soap up, rinse off.
X2

Couple things to consider regarding portable tanks.

Make sure it fits under the unit.

Tank size, either make sure ot is larger than your MH tank, or go much smaller, and be careful filling it it.

If you go bigger, consider one ro tow behind your toad.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (retired from towing)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
X2

Couple things to consider regarding portable tanks.

Make sure it fits under the unit.

Tank size, either make sure ot is larger than your MH tank, or go much smaller, and be careful filling it it.

If you go bigger, consider one ro tow behind your toad.
The Navy shower thing,... we called them a bucket bath in deer camp. We'd take a pot or two and boil them up on the camp stove and pour them into a 5gal bucket that had cold water in it. 2 boiling pots made that 5gal pretty darn warm too. Off into the woods you would go with your stuff, a couple cups of water over your head, shampoo, lather yourself up in soap and rinse off with the cups of water over your head. Whatever was left in the bucket you poured over your head and you took of running to the tent to dry off and get into some clean clothes before you got cold. Lol!
That's back when I was tough. I'm old and weak now. Lol!!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:10 PM   #11

Growing up, we called that a teacup shower. But we only got one teapot full of hot water.

I'm an old hard core backpacker/mountaineer. Taken baths with less.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (retired from towing)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #12

If we ever boondock, it will be because we broke down, lol. We're not campers, and don't pretend to be. We use our 5th wheel as a rolling hotel room, to travel and sightsee. Not real big on "sitting around the campfire" but we do enjoy evening walks in rv parks and meeting other RV'ers.

Got burned out on Airplanes and Hotels after 9/11, Bedbugs, and Wuhan Flu.
Almost always get full hookups, but we carry a (never used) 42 gallon honey wagon just in case plans fail. We do have some reservations coming up in the N.E. that have "grey water only hookup". Can't wait to see how that works out.

We see people camping with tents, popups, and such, and realize that's how they like to do it. It's whatever people enjoy, and we like full hookups. After we hit all 48 states, we might want to try different types of destinations. And that might require us learning how to boondock. But for now, we have small tanks, no solar, no generator. We're always plugged in to either the truck or shore power, even at home.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:07 AM   #13

The OP didn't specify the number of "we" and the number and length of female shower takers.

Coming from a backpacking background we when tent camping knew we could make do on one gallon per day per person for water use. We would sponge bath and dry with a microfiber towel.

So yes when you get into an RV the convenience of dishwashing and loo use and shower use ups the ante considerably.

We do have a cutoff valve on the shower head so wet down shut off and then rinse.. Use about two gallons of water that way.

There may be sneaky ways water is wasted.. Like running the water while you do dishes or brushing your teeth.

Sometimes all that is needed is a few habit changes.

It seems that the grey fills up a lot faster than the black tank ( yet the black is bigger!). The two of us can get five days of use before the grey water backs up in the tub. We have backslid.. We have a 33 gal grey water tank.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:19 AM   #14

The Rhino tanks seem to be gaining in popularity. We have a blueboy that we use more often than we really want to. Part of the price for the way we like to camp.
Because of the shape the Rhino seems to be easier to attach to your ladder since we see them way more often than the older style.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #15

I have a rhino tank. It does help when at a site without hookups and need to drain the tanks. One issue I found is you need to take into account the height of your drain. The intake of the Rhino is just a little higher than the bottom of my drain. I end having to work the contents through the hose by lifting it. If I'm going to use it at a site I try to park where I can run it downhill a little. Bigger tank is not always better. Also the Rhino version has nothing to tell you when it is full. So if you end up with more to drain than it can handle you are going to deal with somewhat of a mess. Hope it is only grey water then.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoJuano View Post
I have a rhino tank. It does help when at a site without hookups and need to drain the tanks. One issue I found is you need to take into account the height of your drain. The intake of the Rhino is just a little higher than the bottom of my drain. I end having to work the contents through the hose by lifting it. If I'm going to use it at a site I try to park where I can run it downhill a little. Bigger tank is not always better. Also the Rhino version has nothing to tell you when it is full. So if you end up with more to drain than it can handle you are going to deal with somewhat of a mess. Hope it is only grey water then.
We have a macerater, so we keep the tank in the bed of the truck in front of the hitch. Like I said, we've never had to use it, but if we do, we will be able to pump into the tank and drain it with a 3/4" garden hose without moving it from the truck.
We might get to find out if it works on this trip, as we're going to the Northeast, where rumors are that the hookups are scarce. We'll see, lol.

Still haven't figured out how to drain the macerator hose when we're done, but I'm sure we will.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #17
CAG

Quote:
Well that is not helpful at all.

I never said we were boondocking just that I don't know how people can considering how limited our gray tank is.

Was actually looking for feedback on portable waste tanks like the one I linked to.

Thanks Grumpy, yeah we were trying that but trying to get tankless right even for that is pretty wasteful.

Regards,

John
Helpful or not you still failed to your homework. How many gallons in your gray tank? Mine is 30. I canít make three days with normal showers and dish washing. I had two 40s with the toyhauler which worked fine for 10 days and sea showers.
So what is yours and how long did you plan to camp in a space with no sewer?

I had one of the totes you mention in 32 gal size but used it for fresh water on boondocking trips. I hauled it up empty and ran to town for water with the truck.

8x32 is 256 lbs which means I did not manually pull it anywhere which will be your case with gray water. So once you fill it, next to your rig, where do you plan to take it and how?
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:09 AM   #18

Your Alante is listed on Jayco's site as having a 40 gallon gray water capacity. If you are producing 20 gallons of gray water per day, the 21 gallon tote would only give you one extra day.

I realize there are some other considerations here; sensors for one, but with your useage it doesn't seem like you would gain much more than one day regardless.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #19

Thanks All, Some good advice there

Nature Ist

It is actually our third trip, first real one. The shakedown in April was two nights where we learned the refrigerator doesn't work. (still not fixed, dealer is useless)
Second was also cut short due to the cluster of thunderstorms in May that rolled through and took out the power for days and killed 10 people I think it was in Ontario and Quebec. We were very fortunate, only got a ding in a hubcap in a park where two pickups got crushed when trees fell on them. No one was hurt in that park.

Great idea for diagnosing the tank. Next week is a full hookup site and we have a 5 gallon pail. I can hookup, drain, then fill the tank with the pail and see how many pailfuls before it stops draining.

Good point on tote weight, maybe I should just get the 15 gallon as we have no toad. We don't need to completely drain the gray in one shot.
The idea is just to extend the use of gray tank so we don't have to disconnect. The black is huge, 50 gallon.
The provincial parks are almost all water/electric only.

Jflightrisk

Will check the wires after we see the results from the above test.

Onyrelf

Yes it just the two of us but we have dogs so a lot of extra hand washing

LakeHuron

Hey we are in Kincardine

Jagiven,GuanoJuano

Yep, we have the 13" clearance the description on Amazon says it needs.

Kim

Yes we have the shut off but the tankless heater forces us to run and waste water to get the temperature right anyway. We don't run the water brushing our teeth either. It is mostly just shower and handwashing. Been doing the dishes outside.

CAG

What homework other than field testing is going to tell me what kind of usage we will get?

Onthego

Yes not much extra but it would be better to do that every other day maybe than unhook and pull in the slides to go dump.

Regards,

John
Old 06-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Nature Ist

Jagiven,GuanoJuano

Yep, we have the 13" clearance the description on Amazon says it needs.

John
That clearance is just for the tank. The hose adapter connects to the top. So another 4-6 inches at least.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote