Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #1

No ladder on 31ul. Is that going to be a problem

We are ready to put the deposit on a new 31ul and my only reservation is no ladder. Can't figure out how we will check top, cover etc. don't know why they didn't put one on don't imagine you can have it retrofitted later. Any thoughts on living without a ladder? Our previous 3 units had one. That's where we hung our drying rack etc too
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #2

our previous unit did not have a ladder (only one on the lot without one) and it sucked. I will never buy another trailer without one. we tried to have the dealer install one as part of the purchase but it was way too much money.
so while camping I could not access the roof and while parked at home always had to drag the ladder out and be careful on climbing up onto the roof.
our new one has a ladder and it is so nice to be able to easily access the roof once again. try to have the dealer install one as part of the deal.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #3

Adding an outside ladder after the RV is built will not be as strong as a ladder put on during construction. Extra supports are added when the ladder is installed during construction.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Adding an outside ladder after the RV is built will not be as strong as a ladder put on during construction. Extra supports are added when the ladder is installed during construction.
X2.
You might consider investing in a collapsible ladder which may be more useful than an installed one. Probably far less costly than retrofitting one after the fact.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #5

For my 35UN I simply purchased an expandable ladder, problem solved. As for the drying rack, I attach some narrow poles to my hitch mounted bike rack, works out fine. On the 35UN with the rear slide there was nowhere to put a ladder, the expandable one actually gives me more flexibility to have a ladder where I need it. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
For my 35UN I simply purchased an expandable ladder, problem solved...
I have a rear ladder but also carry this with me for awning or slide cover problems. It was invaluable when I had a slide cover blow out in South Dakota because of a screw that fell out.
https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Alu...9YCT9SPPF1FXGG
Old 09-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #7

No spare tire and no mounted ladder. Buy your own and keep them even if you don't keep the RV.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote