Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Norcold Fridge Ice Maker Quit

After picking up my coach from a warranty trip to Middlebury I have now discovered that the ice maker no longer works. It had worked perfectly prior to that. One of the items that was worked on was to run a separate DC circuit to the fridge to eliminate the low dc alarm. Is this a coincidence? I found a Norcold troubleshooting guide online and went through the entire procedure (checking voltage and resistance for the motor, water valve, ice maker, etc.) and it points to replacing the ice maker assembly itself. I will be calling Jayco tomorrow to get the warranty process started. I’m wondering if this is one of the reasons Jayco eliminated the ice maker as one of the included features after the 2016 model year. Has anyone else out there with the ice maker feature experienced any problems?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #2

If the freezer section has been kept cold defrost the fridge first and then try the ice maker again after it cools back down.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

I'm going to ask the " dumb" question did JAYCO turn the water valve off?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #4

No question is dumb if you don’t know the answer beforehand. I verified the water shutoff valve was open. I disconnected the water line at the water control valve and there is water flow. I removed the ice maker from the freezer compartment without disconnecting the electrical wiring and then followed the ice maker trouble shooting procedure. Everything checked out except for the motor check-out step. There should have been 120 volts between terminal points M & N but instead it was zero. The procedure recommendation is “...if 120 volts is not present, replace the Ice Maker assembly.” We used the coach on two separate occasions after we got it back and so the fridge was turned on and off so in effect it has been defrosted twice. When I turned it on a couple days ago so I could do my troubleshooting it did in fact make ice but without the motor working it could not dump into the tray to allow more water to flow to continue the process. At this point I will call Jayco to see what their response is. Thank you both for your input.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #5

I had mine fail and Jayco had me work with Norcold warrantee department. Basically if the freezer is at minus 12 degrees the ice maker should work. My failure was the on/Off switch connected to the arm that senses the ice bin is full. Still had to change entire unit.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

I'm still angry they eliminated them from the new models...I miss my icemaker.

I've also done all the tests on an icemaker in my old Bounder (before my 2018 Jayco 35S) and was the icemaker unit itself. was a cheap and easy replacement back then, I think it was a $40 kit I found at Lowes...that icemaker worked for ten years till I traded the Bounder in for the Jayco back in 2017.

Sometimes these units run forever and other times they fail quickly...no reason why.
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:45 PM   #7

So I called Jayco and they put me in touch with Norcold who put me in touch with a local SOB dealer who is a Norcold dealer. Unfortunately the SOB dealer (and they were polite and professional) would not touch it because they did not want to deal with Jayco over a warranty item. So now I need to contact Jayco CS again to obtain a claim number and then contact the nearest Jayco dealer who is 80 miles away to make arrangements for getting this taken care of. Jayco’s policy of not sending parts directly to the original owner while still under warranty is very disappointing. For something that is a nominal price I guess I would be willing to eat the cost but it’s just the principle of the thing. If it breaks under warranty then Jayco should foot the bill without the customer having to spend more than what the cost of the fix is. Tiffin and Newmar consistently send parts to their customers. I’m not sure what Entegra does. This is most likely my last coach but after my previous experience with a class C and now the Precept class A I am quite sure that if I were to buy another rig that my choices would be either Tiffin or Newmar primarily for their customer support. I have taken my coach to Middlebury for a whole list of items and Jayco was unbelievably great to work with while there. But since I have returned home and these smaller issues have cropped up it has really been a hassle to get things taken care of. Just to belabor my point I am over 2 months working with the nearest Jayco dealer to get new shower door rails. Come on, Jayco,it’s not that difficult. Send me the parts and I’ll fix it myself. But no, they will only send the parts to a dealer. I hate to say it but I will almost be glad when my warranty is up. By then I should have everything fixed, but if I do need to ever order something it will be sent directly to my home because I won’t have to deal with Jayco. Sorry I got off topic but it’s just frustrating to know what needs to be done and the process to get there is so cumbersome. So let’s move on........