Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #1

Not A Happy Camper!

Well, I have been trying to keep things in prospective; "It's Just A Motorhome".
But, It should perform the function it was built to perform.
My wife and I are about to retire so we purchased a 2018 Jayco Alante P31.
We bought it about a year prior to retiring to "get the bugs out". We all expect some.
I drove a model similar to the one I bought and although it was a typical rough riding F53 chassis but it was acceptable. The one I took delivery on drives like crap. It wanders all over the road. I pulled a trailer for many years, driving sometimes 8 hours a day; no problem. After 3 hours of man handling this coach, I AM EXHAUSTED! I took it to an alignment shop and turns out that the camber is off on the front axle and the rear axle is shifted 1.5" to the right side of the chassis AND the rear axle is off 3.5 degrees thrust angle. (Crabbing Down The Road). I know because I followed my wife down a straight road
and can visually see the coach rolling (crabbing) down the road. The alignment shop attempted to take some of the play out of the gear box only to find that the gear box would bind up if the play was adjusted properly....needs to have gear box warrantied. The Jayco Dealer threw their hands up......"Ford Warranty Issue, NOT US". I contacted Ford. "we will not warrantee the chassis.........."It has been Modified."
New issue...........After retuning from a 250 mile trip, I removed some item from the front pass through compartment only to find the plastic floor was MELTED due to a clearance issue between the exhaust and the coach compartment. The wiring harness is also burnt. " Oh ya.....we have had a few issues with that........""We need to put a metal plate in the compartment and a shield on the exhaust". Why was this not done before I took delivery if they were aware of the problem.....?
I have repaired numerous water leaks, toilet, shower, water station. I understand some issues......but come on.....

The magic is gone just want to get it fixed and move on.......back to a truck and a trailer. Expensive mistake........especially at retirement time.

Happy Camping.

KHabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHabie View Post
Well, I have been trying to keep things in prospective; "It's Just A Motorhome".
But, It should perform the function it was built to perform.
My wife and I are about to retire so we purchased a 2018 Jayco Alante P31.
We bought it about a year prior to retiring to "get the bugs out". We all expect some.
I drove a model similar to the one I bought and although it was a typical rough riding F53 chassis but it was acceptable. The one I took delivery on drives like crap. It wanders all over the road. I pulled a trailer for many years, driving sometimes 8 hours a day; no problem. After 3 hours of man handling this coach, I AM EXHAUSTED! I took it to an alignment shop and turns out that the camber is off on the front axle and the rear axle is shifted 1.5" to the right side of the chassis AND the rear axle is off 3.5 degrees thrust angle. (Crabbing Down The Road). I know because I followed my wife down a straight road
and can visually see the coach rolling (crabbing) down the road. The alignment shop attempted to take some of the play out of the gear box only to find that the gear box would bind up if the play was adjusted properly....needs to have gear box warrantied. The Jayco Dealer threw their hands up......"Ford Warranty Issue, NOT US". I contacted Ford. "we will not warrantee the chassis.........."It has been Modified."
New issue...........After retuning from a 250 mile trip, I removed some item from the front pass through compartment only to find the plastic floor was MELTED due to a clearance issue between the exhaust and the coach compartment. The wiring harness is also burnt. " Oh ya.....we have had a few issues with that........""We need to put a metal plate in the compartment and a shield on the exhaust". Why was this not done before I took delivery if they were aware of the problem.....?
I have repaired numerous water leaks, toilet, shower, water station. I understand some issues......but come on.....

The magic is gone just want to get it fixed and move on.......back to a truck and a trailer. Expensive mistake........especially at retirement time.

Happy Camping.
It is very frustrating to find these "surprises" when purchasing a new vehicle. A big reason for buying new is to avoid these surprises so it's double annoying when they happen. Hopefully Jayco will come through for you and make things right. At this point the "magic" may never reappear but it would be nice to at least get to the point where this experience doesn't detract from enjoying the journey going forward.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

Thank you Nice words. My whole family has camped, boated, fished, skied and hiked for ever. When you get to the point where you get to do it full time and juggle a job and other commitments........................it really sucks.

As far as Jayco........not yet..........I am doing all the running around to get this done. I hope they are enjoying there commission.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHabie View Post
Thank you Nice words. My whole family has camped, boated, fished, skied and hiked for ever. When you get to the point where you get to do it full time and juggle a job and other commitments........................it really sucks.

As far as Jayco........not yet..........I am doing all the running around to get this done. I hope they are enjoying there commission.
What a horrible experience, and at retirement time, that's adding insult to injury as my mom used to say. Personally I'd go straight to Jayco Headquarters, and keep going up the line of management until I got someone who cared. Head to the top, president or CEO, and see if that helps. Sometimes you can actually reach these people.

Good luck and my sympathy with luck you'll get this turned around and at least get enjoyment in your retirement soon.
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

it is so sad that the warranty they sell everything on now days is only as good as the paper it is written on... If I was to ever spend that amount of coin on a RV I would take the warranty and other documents to a lawyer and have them figure out what the loop holes are... those "warranties" are written for the seller not the buyer.. anything north of $100k probably is worth the effort to have the document reviewed... cheaper than a 40% hit on a 100k outlay...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #6

Forget your dealer and call Jayco directly. They will make it right.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Forget your dealer and call Jayco directly. They will make it right.
Perhaps they will. Jayco should have "made it (the MH) right" to begin with. And so it goes . . .
Very sorry for your experience, but I am not the least bit surprised. Hang in there, man. Do what you can to get Jayco to be legit. This RV industry after the fact warranty crud is a joke. 75-80% of it could be eliminated with better assembly and design practices.
Equalizer 10K
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #8

We just sent are third certified letter to President, no response no call, no nothing.Trying to get are last warranty list from August of 2017 completed.Writing Attorney General and Federal Trade Commission next!Some one should start a thread titled Jayco Garbage!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #9

The heat shield ( or lack thereof) on the exhaust is a common problem on some units. Call Jayco Warranty directly and deal with them. And see if they will let you take it to another service center that can and will fix it. They have allowed this for many people I know who have had a lame dealer.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #10

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. We will as you all have suggested.........keep plugging along.
Karl