Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Question ODBII Port on 2019 Precept UL31

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I can't locate the OBDII port on my new motorhome. I know what they look like, can easily spot in in my truck and car, but I've looked all around the steering wheel and under the dash and can't find the port. Did Jayco more it or something? Anyone else have trouble finding theirs?
jayvan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
RWK

On my Alante I found mine just to the right side of my steering column. I had to remove the cheap plastic shroud to locate it. It was strapped to another bundle of cables. You'll need a flashlight. It had a plastic cap in the end so I kept missing it. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWK View Post
On my Alante I found mine just to the right side of my steering column. I had to remove the cheap plastic shroud to locate it. It was strapped to another bundle of cables. You'll need a flashlight. It had a plastic cap in the end so I kept missing it. Good luck.

Thanks! I started to take the plastic off but thought before I go to too much trouble I'd ask someone. I'll go pull that now.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

2018 Precept 31ul, located about midway up on steering column right side. Remove the plastic shroud and rummage through the wires. Covered with cap as previous poster said.
oventek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #5

[QUOTE=oventek;744956]2018 Precept 31ul, located about midway up on steering column right side. Remove the plastic shroud and rummage through the wires. Covered with cap as previous poster said.[/QUO

Yep. Found it. Thanks, guys.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
JayVan, you working on a 5-star tune or some kind of data logger? i've been considerring the 5-star tune, just curious.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
JayVan, you working on a 5-star tune or some kind of data logger? i've been considerring the 5-star tune, just curious.

I did the 5 Star Tuning. The Precept is still quite new to me, but I've driven between Phoenix and Palm Springs twice now; once before the tune and once after. There really is a difference in when the coach shifts and rpms and torque. I really won't have a good idea until I head back to Portland later this month and drive it through the mountains on I5. Based on what I've experienced so far and what I've heard from others, I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.
The only other thing I feel compelled to do is add a steering stabilizer. I think that would also pay for itself. I'm not experiencing some of the sway and roll that many talk about with the F53 chassis. Perhaps that's because mine has the 228 inch wheelbase and the 22.5 tires.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvan2019 View Post
I did the 5 Star Tuning. The Precept is still quite new to me, but I've driven between Phoenix and Palm Springs twice now; once before the tune and once after. There really is a difference in when the coach shifts and rpms and torque. I really won't have a good idea until I head back to Portland later this month and drive it through the mountains on I5. Based on what I've experienced so far and what I've heard from others, I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.
The only other thing I feel compelled to do is add a steering stabilizer. I think that would also pay for itself. I'm not experiencing some of the sway and roll that many talk about with the F53 chassis. Perhaps that's because mine has the 228 inch wheelbase and the 22.5 tires.
Have you looked into the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix)? There is a thread on this forum at https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...chf-56869.html. If you search the internet, there is a lot of information and videos on the CHF ……

Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
Have you looked into the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix)? There is a thread on this forum at https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...chf-56869.html. If you search the internet, there is a lot of information and videos on the CHF ……

From what I've read, the CHF hasn't been applicable to the last two or three years of the F53 chassis. One of the reasons I bought new was the longer wheelbase and the larger tires (now used on the Precept 31UL) which evidently help the handling and ride.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvan2019 View Post
From what I've read, the CHF hasn't been applicable to the last two or three years of the F53 chassis. One of the reasons I bought new was the longer wheelbase and the larger tires (now used on the Precept 31UL) which evidently help the handling and ride.

I can't speak for the precept and the particular chassis you have, but my 2019 F53 180" wheelbase, 19.5" wheel chassis sure benefited from doing it and it was very much applicable. I've done the CHF, a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and a rear tracbar. The stock chassis had a front tracbar. The difference is night and day in the handling. The CHF and the rear tracbar making the biggest differences. You're right though the longer wheelbase and larger wheels makes a big difference too.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
I can't speak for the precept and the particular chassis you have, but my 2019 F53 180" wheelbase, 19.5" wheel chassis sure benefited from doing it and it was very much applicable. I've done the CHF, a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and a rear tracbar. The stock chassis had a front tracbar. The difference is night and day in the handling. The CHF and the rear tracbar making the biggest differences. You're right though the longer wheelbase and larger wheels makes a big difference too.

Thanks so much for the input. I'll have to double check my info. The CHF would be a no-brainer if it applies to the longer chassis F53. So far in my limited driving experience sway and tail-wagging haven't been big issues. Certainly not when compared to the class C I had previously (Spinter based FR Sunseeker).