Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #1

Onan 5500 QG generator light

I start up the generator about once a month just to exercise it, yesterday it started easily but the light above the starting rocker switch was flashing. Same with the light on the actual start button on the generator and the start button up front.
Generator seemed to work ok but I shut it down, waited a bit and then started it up again. Bit more difficulty starting the second time but the light didn't flash, just on steady as normal. Gave it the exercise, no problem. Any ideas why it did that. Looked up the generator on google but no troubleshooting info available. 2019 Precept 31UL Thanks in advance for any info. Rick
Ricky555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:45 PM   #2

You need to count the flashes to get the Trouble Code. Could be numerous reasons..may not have gotten up to full speed which created a low frequency or low voltage fault which went away when you restarted it.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You need to count the flashes to get the Trouble Code. Could be numerous reasons..may not have gotten up to full speed which created a low frequency or low voltage fault which went away when you restarted it.
Thanks, it did seem to be just flashing continuously rather than a sequence repeated. Where might you find the trouble codes, couldn't find anything like that on the Onan website.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:37 PM   #4

This should be the correct manual... Section 5 is trouble shooting

https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul.../0983-0101.pdf
Old 01-14-2022, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks again for the information, you obviously have much better computer smarts than I do and that is damning you with faint praise. I like your location, similar to mine.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:

With a quick check in the manual Grumpy shared I found the following on page 12

1. Push and hold the switch at START until the genset starts. The status indicator light on the switch flashes while cranking. It will come on solid when the starter disconnects...

So, what you saw reads as exactly what you should see while cranking, a flashing switch. I never noticed that on my Onan 4000, likely because my big hand is always in the way to see the switch. I will look more carefully next time I start mine which I may do later today. ~CA
Old 01-14-2022, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
With a quick check in the manual Grumpy shared I found the following on page 12

1. Push and hold the switch at START until the genset starts. The status indicator light on the switch flashes while cranking. It will come on solid when the starter disconnects...

So, what you saw reads as exactly what you should see while cranking, a flashing switch. I never noticed that on my Onan 4000, likely because my big hand is always in the way to see the switch. I will look more carefully next time I start mine which I may do later today. ~CA
The light flashed continuously after I started it until I shut it down. I didn't count the flashes as they seemed to go on forever. If it happens again I'll try to count them and then look up the meaning. Thanks for your input.

Rick
Old 01-15-2022, 04:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky555 View Post
Thanks again for the information, you obviously have much better computer smarts than I do and that is damning you with faint praise. I like your location, similar to mine.
Grumpy has helped a lot of folks (including myself) over a long time period and deserves the "Thanks".
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote