Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #1

Onan as emergency home gen

If I interrupt the 5500 output of my Precept 35S to the transfer switch and put a male on the gen side and a female on the transfer side and connect both, the result is the same as before.
In an emergency, if I disconnect these and put the female end of a 50 amp extension into the male output from the gen, and the male end of the extension into the 50 amp female connector professionally installed at the house (that normally powers the motorhome while plugged in for loading/unloading - our community only allows one overnight under normal conditions), in an emergency I could power both legs of the breaker panel through the two breakers the 50 amp home connector feed.
The master breaker would of course be previously disconnected avoiding a back feed to the grid, as well as all the breakers. Then only the 110 breakers would be actived as needed.
Nice long-run gen with some 60 gallon capacity (80 gallon fuel tank up to molo 3/4). Thoughts?

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

Yes. Without a UL listed transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician you may be in violation of the electrical public utility commission rules and regulations. If any missteps on your part results in backfeeding the grid and results in damage to the utility grid or the death of a lineman you will be held criminally responcible.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #3

Some who knows more than I do will add to this - our Onan QD 8000 doesn’t produce 220 volt power - 2 legs of the same 110 volt they won’t power any of your 220 volt appliances ( they might but not properly and could cause damage ) - ask your electrician he can guide you in the right direction Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

Ditto on the transfer switch. This is one of those things that ought to be done right.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #5

I did that with our SENECA, but as was mentioned I had a manual transfer switch in the system which switched individual circuts. Also as Les7h said I didn't connect any 220 units.

Had a t.s. similar to this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Manual-Tr...yABEgJNW_D_BwE
Old 04-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #6

Thank you Vicr. That is my intention.

Thank you Les7h, my 5500 only puts out 110 on each leg and no house panel 220 breaker circuits would be used.

Thank you Siamese, that's the way I prefer to do things.

Thank you Grumpy for the link. I thing the 30216A could be more appropriate as part of the installation exists.

My question was more for those that may have done it regarding the soundness of the interruption of the connection from the gen to the transfer and using plugs similar to:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00192QB9M...v_ov_lig_dp_it

together with:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00192QB9M...v_ov_lig_dp_it

and finally:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECIP0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Please let me know what you may have used instead. Thank you very much again.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
My question was more for those that may have done it regarding the soundness of the interruption of the connection from the gen to the transfer and using plugs similar to:

Please let me know what you may have used instead. Thank you very much again.
If I understood correctly you want to use a male plug on the generator outlet and then a female feeding into the RV. That would mean that the male plug would be energized with the generator running, plgged in or not. Perhaps changing that around would be safer and then using the aforementioned transfer switch with a recessed male plug which is not energized since it is on the input side of the transfer switch.
Just a thought.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post

Thank you Grumpy for the link. I thing the 30216A could be more appropriate as part of the installation exists.
Correct, that transfer switch is what would be required under the NEC for connection to your home breaker panel.

When I connected ours I didn't separate the MH feed. I just made the connection directly to the geny input side to the transfer switch using #8 romex, then added another junction box and added the #8/4 cord and female twist lock plug which was in the geny compartment. The working area can be a little tight, but it can be done. The connection for the house was a piece of #8/4 cable, with the male twist lock that went from the manual transfer switch to the MH. It just hung on the wall until needed as it was never disconnected from manual transfer switch.

#8 is more than adequate since the breakers on the geny itself are probably 30 amp, #10 would even work if the run is short enough.