Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Onan EC-30 hardwired trouble

Hi Folks,
Looking for someone familiar with the hardwired EC-30 Generator Autostart panel for Quiet Diesel generators. Start/stop switch works fine, as does the LED to indicate that the generator is running. LCD display backlight works fine. But there is no longer any text in the window. Usual default display is time and generator mode (which has been mostly "Manual" thus far). Suddenly, backlight is still fine, but no text at all, and I can't tell if pressing any other buttons is having any effect at all since there is no feedback. Is this a fatal problem, where I need a new EC-30? Or just a loose wire somewhere? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

I'm thinking a plug is loose somewhere?? Not unplugged and out - just loose.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

That's what I thought, too. Problem is, the only plug is the one on the back of the unit, and I already unplugged it and re-inserted several times. I was told that none of the brains for this model are in some module mounted in or near the generator compartment. Instead, all the brains are in the display keypad unit itself. My fear is that this is toast, and I may need to find a new one somewhere. Also doesn't look like Cummins/Onan even makes this any longer. The people who claim to have one want $275 bucks or so for it. The new wireless one is even obsolete now, and I have read they are going to a smartphone app next. That likely means rewiring the entire motorhome for the new module. Uggghhhh....

Plus, I just discovered I posted this in the wrong forum. but that's just par for the course, LOL!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #4

Time to contact Onan and see if they have solution. Since this part has been abandoned, they should have a plan B for it?
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Not sure if you have the manual for the EC-30 but here is a link for it. It has a pretty good trouble shooting section and wire diagrams, you may want to trace all the wires from the 16 pin harness on the back of the EC unit and make sure everything is connected. If that doesn't work I would call Cummins and ask for suggestions.

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../900-0541B.pdf
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #6

The previous owner kept the manuals together, and I did go through some of the troubleshooting stuff. Started to trace the wiring, but it's so buried in the cabinetry, I would have to take that all apart to do the trace. It appears this was factory installed, and they built the cabinets over the original wiring harness to the main control panel. I think the next step is just what both of you have suggested, which is to call Onan and see what they suggest. Several others have suggested that there is no module with brains anywhere outside of that panel. No module at the generator, nor in between. This is a very handy device, just wish they still made them. I'll keep posting here until I find a solution, as someone else may come along in need of the information as well.