Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

Onan Generator shuts down in manual Mode

2015 Precept 31 UL - Onan generator will only operate for no more than 10 min and then shuts down. Shows Fault code 46 yet the owners manual list
has numerous numbers but skips over number 46. LED reads I have 150 hours before service. Any help would be appreciated .
egloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #2

I don't see a 46 in my manual either. Have you verified that's the correct code being thrown? Note, the code will also present on the generator itself as well as the remote panel.

What other variables are present?
-Is there a load?
-Is the coach moving or stationery?
-Can you re-start it? If so, how long do you have to wait?

Lots of these rigs have had heat issues. Lack of ventilation, excess heat from the engine, etc. Could that be the problem? It's just getting overheated?

FWIW, the closest code listed in the manual (45-Speed sense fault) shows a HUGE number of possible causes for that fault (and about 2-pages of diagnostic process).

Curious: you show 150 hrs until service required? My generator recommends 100 hr service intervals?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #3

Check out this thread from irv2:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/ona...-a-107257.html

46 may be a low voltage code. That guy ended up needing a new inverter.

I had a voltage problem on mine. Ended up being the output voltage. The generator would run, but as soon as I flipped the breaker on the generator to provide power to the coach, it would shut down and I would get a voltage code. The eventual problem was in my transfer switch; it was fried.

Yours sounds more like input voltage, but then why would it run for a while and then stop? I would think it just wouldn't start in the first place? Unless it has to do with 12V output?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

Stolen from another forum;

From service manual 981-0522B:
INVERTER POWER SUPPLY FAULT—CODE NO. 46*
(Low battery voltage or power supply device failure)
Corrective Action:
1. Avoid running the genset while cranking the vehicle engine in installations where the genset batteries
are used to supplement the vehicle engine batteries.
2. Clean and tighten the positive (+) and negative (–) battery cable connections at the battery, vehicle
frame and genset.
3. Recharge or replace the battery. Refer to the battery manufacturer’s recommendations.
4. Install or service a battery charging system in the vehicle if the genset is not so equipped.
5. Replace the controller assembly (p. 10-2).

From what I see in the manual, beginning with Spec F (or controllers that have been replaced), Fault Code 46 replaced Fault Code 39 (Low Battery Voltage). What it is saying, is the controller thinks 12VDC battery voltage is low. Loose or corroded connections in either the positive or negative battery cable connections could cause this. The unit may or may not have a 10 amp battery charger with it. If installed, the charger could also be defective. Otherwise, the generator depends on the installed inverter/charger or converter/charger for battery charging.
JK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #5

Did a little more digging. It looks like if all of your 12V going into the generator is good (good connections, fully charged batteries, good solenoid, etc), then it's likely the inverter in the generator.

There is a voltage check you can make on the inverter, but I don't know exactly how to do that on your unit.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV