Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #1

Question Outside entertainment door stuck!!

Hi,

We have a 2019 Precept Prestige 36U. On our last trip (and first one ever) we were trying to put the RV thru it's paces. Everything went well with no major issues, save one.

This isn't life or death but I can't seem to get the door (hatch?) to open on the outside entertainment. I can put the key in, push the button and the latch pops out but that's it. The door doesn't lift or open. I am pretty sure the seals of the door are stuck together. I can't figure out how to get it unstuck so I can lubricate the seals with 3 in 1.

The RV is new and is a 2019 we purchased in February of this year, but due to COVID and all it brings with it we hand't gone on a trip until 3 weeks ago. SO my question is how do it pry open this door without causing damage or scratching anything. There is really nothing to get a hold of to pull it open, so I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-Kathryn
Kcbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #2

I would first want to be sure the latch is actually releasing by comparing it to another compartment. If you seem sure the latch is functioning correctly, I would try pressing hard on the perimeter all the way around the non-hinged sides. If the gaskets are sticking, you could free them up by compressing them. You may even hear them crackle or squeak as you do that. My next attempt would be to find some suction cups like the glass and mirror installers use. Not likely something you have on hand, but those would be a lot better than a pry-bar!
By the way...I would not use a petroleum product on the gaskets....maybe use the rubber slide seal treatment or another rubber compatible product.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #3

Thanks the suction cup idea is great! I can only assume the latch is functioning properly since it different from any other bay door on the rig.

I wasn't planning on use petroleum products at all. 3-in-One Rv care rubber seal conditioner is made for RV's and such....https://smile.amazon.com/3-ONE-Care-...AQ2JWK6PM1NS5M

Thanks for the speedy response
Old 10-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #4

Gotcha! There's a big difference between 3 and 1 LOL
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
CAG

I am not sure if yours is like mine. Mine has the key/latch in the bottom center of the door and when the key is used the latch pops out. The door has, as you have found, a rubber seal around it. Pulling too hard on the latch can break it so with a little outward pull pressure, and a plastic tool used for vehicle door/dash removal and some tender coaxing I got mine open after it had been closed for awhile. Be careful but the rubber will release with some work. Then as mentioned use a light, non petroleum oil or grease to lube the rubber seal. Add a little ever other time you open it to keep it from sticking again.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #6

If you haven't got a chance to get suction cups try a 3m command hook give a grab point comes back off with no leftover mark.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #7

Same thing happened to me. Used some wood shims and worked around the door until it freed up.
I now open the door periodically just to keep it freed.
Randyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #8

I use the 3in1 rubber conditioner on ours once a month after it got stuck shut the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
8FD90A39-52BE-472D-A0DC-66B299CA2965.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:28 AM   #9

Made sure the door stayed exposed to the hot Florida sun for about three hours and that was enough to be able to work it open. Cleaned the gasket and sprayed it down with silicone. Also cleaned the door's mating surface and waxed it. This was two years ago and no problems since.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #10

What I have found, on our Alante, is that during travels, sometimes the TV moves outward and interferes with the inward movement of the latch not allowing the latch to fully disengage. I first noticed telltale marks on the bottom middle of the TV "frame".
Do not know if this is the culprit in your case but it is in ours.
Hope this helps!
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. Hopefully I can try some of these out and finally get it open this coming weekend. Once I do I will definitely condition the seals and then put it on monthly checklist to open that compartment.