Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #1

Question Placed a Deposit on a 2021 Alante 31v.. Mistake?

Hello, I placed a deposit on a 2021 Alante 31V. I can still back out but I'm trying to make some informed decisions about the engine and suspension. Even tho its new, I'm having an RV inspector go thru it on Friday Aug 13th.

1. I've only spent a few hours on the forum and people are describing issues with spark plug wires and lack of parts which cause these new v8 engines to sit in repair bays for months. I'm wondering if I made the right decision or if Ford has fixed this issue

2. My first drive will be from California to Texas in September and I'd like to make any suspension upgrades that will help me keep the coach on the straight and narrow. I've read about the CHF adjustments, trac bar for the rear and even the Kelderman kit but since the coach is a 2021 i"m not sure which of these would be appropriate or even needed. Does anyone have any experience or input regarding the Jayco Alante 2021 builds?

Many thanks everyone and I hope to contribute as I learn and delve into my RV adventures. I've got till next weekend to march forward or change strategies so your input will greatly impact my decision. Cheers!
iconalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #2

Apparently FORD is having plug wire issues with the 7.3 affecting pick-ups and Motorhomes, not just a JAYCO problem.

Post #4 and #10 in particular.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ine-78354.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-v8-78565.html
Old 08-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

Thank you, diving into the links/threads now.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
From what i'm seeing I would stay away from the Ford V8 right now. As for the suspension mods, I would do the CHF and if possible get a rear trac-bar. I do not have any experience with the 2021s, but on my 2019 it made a world of difference in how it handles. I would also consider a steering stabilizer as well. That's the 3 things I did to mine and it handles great now.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
From what i'm seeing I would stay away from the Ford V8 right now. As for the suspension mods, I would do the CHF and if possible get a rear trac-bar. I do not have any experience with the 2021s, but on my 2019 it made a world of difference in how it handles. I would also consider a steering stabilizer as well. That's the 3 things I did to mine and it handles great now.
Michael,Looks like I'll be calling the dealer today to discuss backing out of the deal. I really loved the floor plan and it has the new farmhouse white interior with the double 12ft fridge. Was a really hard coach to track down, but 100k for a motor that may leave you stranded for weeks is a no go. I'll keep searching possibly for a used model where all the initial kinks have been mostly dealt with and the v10 engine. I appreciate the feedback on the suspension mods as well, CHF, Trac-Bar, Steering stabilizer etc. Cheers!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #6

After much deliberation and feedback from the great forum community I decided to call the dealer and withdraw my offer and get my deposit back. The Dealer opted to call Ford and actually confirmed that the spark plug wires are an issue and that there were no available replacement parts. And if there were, it would be the same OEM that failed to begin with so I dont feel it would solve the problem, only delay it from happening again in the future. Thanks to everyone that replied here and on other threads I posted to ask for advice. This community has already saved me from one big headache. Time to research other v10 options.

Appreciate it everyone

David
Old 02-07-2021, 06:51 AM   #7

Hello all...new to the forum and I am in the market for a new 2021 Alante 29F. I was wondering if there is any new positive updates on the spark plug wire issues? We are supposed to pick ours up this coming weekend. Thank you in advanced.
Esqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esqui View Post
Hello all...new to the forum and I am in the market for a new 2021 Alante 29F. I was wondering if there is any new positive updates on the spark plug wire issues? We are supposed to pick ours up this coming weekend. Thank you in advanced.
Maybe look for an older one left over with the older v10 which was tried and true.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esqui View Post
That's an old post.... Ford has since put out a recall and have new wires.

Mark
Old 02-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
That's an old post.... Ford has since put out a recall and have new wires.

Mark
Yep that was 6 months ago and it may be a non issue now.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #11

It is an old problem. We have a 21 34g delivered in Sept. No issues. Spark plug wires wrapped in heat protectors and doghouse insulated. 12k miles with no issues, at least not with the engine....
conch02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #12

If somebody is still in the market for the V10 engine and save a bundle over new as well as have all the kinks worked out:
https://www.jaycoclassifieds.com/201...alante-31v-727
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #13

I have a 2020 31V with the Triton V-10 so a different engine than the new V-8, 7.4 As far was suspension goes, we can attest to a LOT of swaying when being passed by almost anything. We travelled from NY to CA last summer and met several other owners of the 2020 Alante who complained of the same problem. One own spent an additional $12,000+ for a new fluid suspension system and he said it road great. It better! However, I'm not spending that amount of money to make a vehicle handle like it should out of the gate. So, I am installing a Safe T Plus steering controller before we hit the road in March. We met several owners who said that it made all of the difference.

I guess I should back up for a minute. When I say swaying it's not just the rocking motion but the vehicle getting pushed off track and then having to make correction. The Safe T Plus (and no, I'm not affiliated with them, and there are other brands out there) is actually designed for a catastrophic blow out of a front tire to keep your RV centered on the road. The added advantage is that it holds you in your lane with a lot less fighting the wheel while driving. Here is a link of one video I watched from an avid RVer:
GMan215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
GMan, I have the same unit... For that sway, you should look into a rear trac bar. They're very reasonable (~$525) and correct that issue immediately and almost completely. I did the CHF front and rear, steering stabilizer, and a rear trac bar and the difference is night and day in terms of handling. There's other items I could do to make it even better, but for us right now it rides so much better we're happy to go with it as is.

https://supersteerparts.com/products...k-chassis.html

The steering stabilizer will help tighten up the steering and make it drive better, but the trac bar is the only thing that will fix that rear end sway or as its referred to on most forums, the "tail wagging" in the rear.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #15

Thanks for the tip Foretm! Yeah, I had thought about the rear sway bar as well. Right now it's at the dealer who is looking at the insulation around the engine cover (dog house). Mine is supposedly not in the recall but Jayco gave me a work sheet to have the dealer take a look at it and see if it does need more insulation. I know it got very hot on the floor last summer on our trip from NY to San Francisco and heated up my keys in the cupholder to a point I could hardly hang onto them. That's my next task after suspension mods - heat and sound proofing. I like a very quiet ride and right now it certainly isn't. Again, thanks for your insight and recommendations. - Gary
GMan215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan215 View Post
Thanks for the tip Foretm! Yeah, I had thought about the rear sway bar as well. Right now it's at the dealer who is looking at the insulation around the engine cover (dog house). Mine is supposedly not in the recall but Jayco gave me a work sheet to have the dealer take a look at it and see if it does need more insulation. I know it got very hot on the floor last summer on our trip from NY to San Francisco and heated up my keys in the cupholder to a point I could hardly hang onto them. That's my next task after suspension mods - heat and sound proofing. I like a very quiet ride and right now it certainly isn't. Again, thanks for your insight and recommendations. - Gary
Gman.... my link may help you with the heat/insulation and soundproofing.... it really made a big difference!!
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Good Luck, Mark