Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #1

Portable satellite and precept

Does anyone use a portable satellite in their precept? And where do you hook in your receiver?
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #2

I don't have one yet, but I think there is an outside connection in the wet bay.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

There is a cable connection in the wet bay but is only park cable
Old 08-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #4

Portable satellite connection

There is a cable connection in the wet bay. As you are facing the bay it is on the upper left side of the panel. We connect the camp ground cable when at a full service RV park. We hook up our portable dish most of the time. We have a direct tv unit and it works great if you can get a clear view to the south.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

Where do you connect your direct tv receiver in the coach? I have no coax to plug my receiver to and then go to tv
Old 08-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

Direct tv connection

We have a 2015 31ul. The bedroom TV flips up and that is where the exterior cable feeds into the coach. We ran a coaxial cable from this connection to the direct tv box. Then we disconnect the TV cable and run the output cable to the TV connection. It sounds a little complicated but once you figure out the connection it is pretty straight forward.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #7

So you can only watch your satellite from the bedroom?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

This is the theory I have. In our 29um there are three loose coax cables behind the main TV accessible by removing the panel in the cabinet above the passenger. I suspect the each one of them corresponds to one of the TVs in the coach. When I removed the stock amplifier it had a connection for satellite. The way I think this works is 1) plug the satellite into the cable port in the wet bay. 2) connect the aux/sat on the amplifier to the IN port on the receiver and 3) connect the out to the TV port on the amplifier.

I think all TVs would be tuned to the same satellite channel unless multiple receivers were used. I also suspect that since the amplifier would be turned off for satellite reception would be very poor for over the air signals.

I would like to hear if this is correct before we take the satellite plunge. Of course, I could be totally wrong, which if that is the case, I'll just have another beer and a boloney sandwich.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote