Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

Power cable reel

Has anyone tried installing a power cable reel on a Precept 31UL?
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #2

Or a 35S?

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #3

following - small area for the 31ul
Gillespiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

I installed a manual reel in the compartment next to the shore power cord compartment. I then cut the shore power cord and left about 2’ on the existing cord and wired a male connecter on the end. I could have reused the existing cord but chose instead to purchase a 30 foot 50 amp extension cord. When not in use I wind it up on the reel. When it’s time to hook up to shore power I unreel the cord and feed it through the bottom opening and connect to the short tail I left previously. When it’s time to leave I disconnect the tail and pull the end of the long cord through the opening and reel it up. No more stuffing that cord into that small compartment through that little opening. Plus I can wipe the cord off as I reel it up so it is a lot easier to keep it clean.
This method works really well for me and I am content to operate it manually rather than electrically. Nothing to break or fail. Just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #5

That sounds like a plan. Can you tell me what reel you bought?
Old 03-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #6

Also please if you have any pics!

Old 03-03-2021, 06:11 AM   #7

I bought this manual reel..... (MORryde Reel 56=001H)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once I install it in a few weeks, I'll add to my Upgrades Thread post in this forum.

Mark
Old 03-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #8

Another nice thing about having the plug inside the electrical compartment is the space is useful for connecting a portable surge protection device away from prying eyes.

I also purchased the MorRyde but I'm not sure of the model. Just make sure you get the handle on the correct side for where you are going to mount it. You want the side opposite the handle to mount flush with the side wall so you aren't rapping your knuckles as you wind the cord up.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #9

Thank you both
Old 03-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #10

Power cable reel

I like your idea. My most rearward compartment, where the power cord comes out of the transfer switch under the bed, can’t fit any of the MORryde reel options. I ordered new connectors and will cut the cable and put a male on the short stub coming out of the wall that will now be plugged into my Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector. A female receptacle will be put on the other end of the cut cable.
When I need to use the cable I will take the complete coil to the post and plug the male in. I will then run the remainder back to the coach and put the female in through the small hole in the bottom of the compartment and plug the protector into it.
Still investigating the coiling of the power cord issue.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #11

Installed the water and shore power reels. Shoreline has both that will fit the Precept.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Bay 2014 Jayco Precept .jpg   wetbay 2014 Jayco Preceptl right side.jpg   wetbay tub 2014 Jayco Precept.jpg   wetbay 2014  Jayco Precept.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2021, 07:21 AM   #12

If the MORride doesn't fit, may want to try the one below. My cable is only 30ft, this one is smaller and should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...TZ5CGG0GSKA9G4
Old 03-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #13

The problem is trying to fit either one of them in the compartment where the cord presently resides. This weekend I plan to cut the existing hardwired cable and install a male plug on the free end. Will plug that into my protector and then plug that into a new female receptacle I’ll install on the free end of the long end of the cord. Once I have the “unattached” cable in hand, hope to find a solution that will fit. Don’t want to use another compartment for the cable if I can.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGoldsbury View Post
Has anyone tried installing a power cable reel on a Precept 31UL?
My Glendinning 50 foot power reel is still in the box! I'm waiting for my second shot of vaccine before scheduling the installation at my mechanic's. (I'm 90 years old and don't do much myself any more. You know that the selector relay is in the ceiling of the shore power cord compartment? Took me a while to find that one! You 'll need a constant 12 V source from it for the new reel. I'd love to see the installation when you get it in. I'm sure it'll be a great addition to the coach. (If you like the Glendinning unit the RV Geeks have a nice discount). I know them from boating. They make first class stuff! Good luck.
SalzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #15

Interim solution

This is the results of the first mod of cutting the power cable coming from the transfer switch into the cable storage compartment. I took the original male and put it on the line leading to the transfer switch. I then put a female receptacle on the other end (and added a new male to the other end of the cut piece), in effect creating an extension.

I've plugged the transfer switch end into my existing Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X 50A Digital Surge Protector with Weather Shield after removing the weathershield. I then plug the protector into the newly installed female connector. The pics come out sideways but the connection is really vertical.

Next step, a solution for handling the cable as no reel I've seen will fit the compartment and I really don't want to use another compartment for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5050.JPG   IMG_5048.JPG  

Old 03-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #16

Thanks for the pictures! I do not plan to put the Progressive EMS unit in the rear compartment where the 50 amp cord is stored. it's too big and takes up too much space. It's waterproof and can live out of doors so long as it's vertical. The 50 foot long new cord and reel will fit into the rearmost driver's side compartment, where the cord is stored. I'm not accomplished on the computer or I would send you a photo.....look up Glendinning on the RV Geeks.. I'm sure it'll fit without the surge unit. Thanks again.
SalzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote