Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #1

Power Gear leveling jack Spring Noise

I have been getting a lot of 'Sprung' and rattling noise from my front jacks on rough roads of late. So today I got under the coach to check it out, well, it seems Jayco did not pay attention to spring clearances when installing them and the bottom right bolt is only about 1/8" away from the spring (the bolt is actually between the spring and the mount) when retracted. So on rough roads the retracted spring does not have enough tension to keep from banging into the bolt head. So my options are to either re-drill the mounting hole further away from the spring, or change out that one bolt to a case hardened pan head bolt, which has a lower profile on the edges where the spring hits. I really hate it when I have to go in behind Jayco and fix their FUBAR work.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I have been getting a lot of 'Sprung' and rattling noise from my front jacks on rough roads of late. So today I got under the coach to check it out, well, it seems Jayco did not pay attention to spring clearances when installing them and the bottom right bolt is only about 1/8" away from the spring (the bolt is actually between the spring and the mount) when retracted. So on rough roads the retracted spring does not have enough tension to keep from banging into the bolt head. So my options are to either re-drill the mounting hole further away from the spring, or change out that one bolt to a case hardened pan head bolt, which has a lower profile on the edges where the spring hits. I really hate it when I have to go in behind Jayco and fix their FUBAR work.
Take some pictures and share them with the power gear folks before doing anything. They might have an answer for you.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #3

I did this, but from looking at the leveler there isn't many options, I took the bolt off and it has a worn spot on the edge of the head where the spring is hitting it, this is the same on both front, haven't checked the rear ones yet. If the spring had more tension on it when retracted it would not do this.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #4

Well, seems there is a bolt on the top of the cylinder that holds the upper spring arm on,(I thought it was part of the cylinder) couldn't see it as the top of the cylinder is only 1" from the overhead. Got it loose and moved it outboard about 2" with a long drift, this allowed the landing pad to rotate the bottom of the spring away from the bolt heads. Now why Jayco didn't do this is anyone's guess. In any case the springs should not be making all of that noise now. Always learning something new.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Well, seems there is a bolt on the top of the cylinder that holds the upper spring arm on,(I thought it was part of the cylinder) couldn't see it as the top of the cylinder is only 1" from the overhead. Got it loose and moved it outboard about 2" with a long drift, this allowed the landing pad to rotate the bottom of the spring away from the bolt heads. Now why Jayco didn't do this is anyone's guess. In any case the springs should not be making all of that noise now. Always learning something new.
Nice job. Glad you got fixed.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Now why Jayco didn't do this is anyone's guess.
Because those systems come pre-assembled from LIPPERT/POWER GEAR.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Because those systems come pre-assembled from LIPPERT/POWER GEAR.
I am sure, but not all applications are the same and adjustments should be made based on application.