Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

Power Step Won't Deploy

We are out on the road and our Precept 31UL's outside power step suddenly stopped deploying in any situation: engine on/off, parked, etc. So, it's stuck in.

I don't see a fuse assigned to the step in the fuse panel under the bed either. Or it could be the mechanism/motor.

Anyone had experience with this or any suggestions?

Thank you,

McGarrett
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #2

Magnetic sensor at the bottom of the screen door, hinge side, dislodged?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 AM   #3

Mine Precept started doing same and after testing dealer has ordered a new motor. Apparently bad spot as it now works intermittently.
Power most likely comes from a auto reset circuit breaker in the engine compartment as in the Greyhawk.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

Follow up on this thread I started.

Jayco Customer Service was terrific. They suggested I stop by a Jayco dealer, who misdiagnosed the problem as the controller. (In retrospect, they didn't sell or service motorhomes, just travel trailers, but I thought they could troubleshoot for me)

Based on the diagnosis, Jayco shipped me a controller, but finding a dealer on the road who would take me in, was fruitless. I found a great mobile tech in Cincinnati (Bill Moore 513-709-1347) who originally offered to at least get the steps out while we were camped. In doing so, he diagnosed the problem properly as a bad motor. He picked up a replacement and installed it the next day.

He pointed out to me that the step motors are refurbished motors from Jayco's supplier. You can actually see where the original label is covered up by a new one.

Anyway, between Bill and Jayco CS, the problem was solved within a few days of my original post.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:49 PM   #5

Thank you McGarrett50 for sharing. The more educated we have with these systems, the easier it will be when we have a problem.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #6

Interesting side note: Kwikee Electric Steps and Power Gear Auto Hydraulic Leveling systems are both Lippert Companies. And they have the same address: 1217 E.7th St. Mishawaka, IN 46544
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:57 AM   #7

I have been quite fortunate not to have some of the minor issues crop up as I have read on this forum.....but yesterday I went to check on the motorhome and the steps were dead (would not deploy). I was looking for a fuse (couldn't find one) but sounds like I'll just go straight for the motor. My dealer is actually a travel trailer company that up until now has not sold motorhomes, so I'm glad you posted your experience and solution so I can get this fixed asap. Is there any other consideration? Mine worked flawlessly up until yesterday. I cleaned it up after a trip and lubed the step hinges with WD40 Silicone spray.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 AM   #8

The only other consideration would be the controller (or "Brain Box) which was the original diagnosis on mine but turned out to be the motor. There is a fuse underneath the step mechanism but the dealer found it and I don't know where exactly since I wasn't underneath with him.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #9

anyone happen to have a part number for the electric step motor? Mine just stopped working and should be able to replace it myself, if I cam able to order a new one.
zoododd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #10

In your blue zip bag with all your manuals should be a Kwikee owner’s manual for the electric steps. There is a chart on page 2 showing all the part numbers for the motor and other replacement parts. You need to know which series step you have which can be found on the label of your existing motor. For example, mine is a series step 32. The replacement kit part # for the motor is 1101428 which is the same for series steps 22, 23, 28A, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38 and 40.

I replaced mine last year after it would not work after taking it out of storage. It is a pretty straightforward process for replacing the motor. I bought mine off of Amazon for $89.99 from Value Auto Parts. So far so good.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #11

Greyhawk 2018 Step LCI PN # 366043 ,,,,,They also have a bad habit of the internal shaft slipping on the drive plate. I removed my motor opened up gear box and had my neighbor spot weld plate to shaft. No more problems.. My original OEM motor did the slip also. So I replaced it and the replacement motor after a while slipped . So I repaired it. Very simple repair to do. Any questions my e-mail is [email]a125b@bellsouth.net. Same step is used on most all RV’s....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
In your blue zip bag with all your manuals should be a Kwikee owner’s manual for the electric steps. There is a chart on page 2 showing all the part numbers for the motor and other replacement parts. You need to know which series step you have which can be found on the label of your existing motor. For example, mine is a series step 32. The replacement kit part # for the motor is 1101428 which is the same for series steps 22, 23, 28A, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38 and 40.

I replaced mine last year after it would not work after taking it out of storage. It is a pretty straightforward process for replacing the motor. I bought mine off of Amazon for $89.99 from Value Auto Parts. So far so good.

Wow, amazing information here! I’m going to check my binder now for the manual. Thanks!!
zoododd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:12 AM   #13

New motors can be purchased directly from the manufacturer....AM Equipment in Oregon. My gear motor had a worn worm/plastic gear. The plastic gear is the weak link in the gear motor assembly. I think mine went due to me being in a hurry and using the steps before they were fully deployed, meaning they had to deploy with my added weight.
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote