Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #1

Precept 31 handling

I am looking at a Precept 31 and was wondering how the handling is going down the road, trucks passing side to side wind. The wheel base to overall length is at about 49% which says that the handling would not be good. If I could some real life experience it would be appreciated.
woodted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

We recently bought a 2020 which is our first RV. We’ve put about 800 miles on it. - mostly highway. I haven’t found it to be a problem under good conditions (dry, little to no wind). I am going to have a Safe-T stabilizer bar installed because of the safety protection and also hope that I will see some added benefits in tracking.
hartlenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:54 AM   #3

We have a 2020 31UL as well. Tracks much better "out of the box" than the Thor ACE 29.3 with the cheap handling fix it replaced. Larger wheels and longer wheelbase most likely make the difference. I'll also be adding a steering stabilizer for the safety factor.

One thing I didn't do that I wish I had: See if you can get your dealer to throw in a proper alignment at a place that knows what they're doing before you sign for it.

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
One thing I didn't do that I wish I had: See if you can get your dealer to throw in a proper alignment at a place that knows what they're doing before you sign for it.

Mickey
Best to read up on the benefit of +caster ( > +5 Degrees) before hand. Lots of info on +caster subject on these RV forums.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #5

You haven't given us enough information:
Are you buying new or used?
Which chassis size is it? (there have been 2 on 31UL's, 18K and 22K)
If used have there been any chassis/suspension mods?
If used what year, 2017 and prior the Cheap Handling Fix can be done.

For the "Tail Wagging the Dog" you want a rear Trac Bar installed. For decent tracking you need to find your sweet spot for tire PSI, start around 90. For safety and and easier steering wheel response you want a steering stabilizer installed.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #6

Vic has it right. (we were posting at the same time).
I have a 2016 31ul on a 190" wheelbase with 19.5 tires(22k GVWR). Things to do in order to improve your handling and ride(do these in order).
1. Within the first 30 days of ownership, contact Jayco Motorized division and tell them about your handling issues. Ask them to pay for an alignment at a heavy duty/RV alignment shop(they will pay if performed within the first 30 days. Load you coach fully as if leaving to go on a long trip. Get you coach weighed and adjust tire pressure based tire manufacturers inflation charts. Then have the coach aligned including front tire wheel balance. Drive and test the handling on a short trip. (fixes wandering, sloppy steering wheel, vibration, tire wear)
2. add steering safety-T stabilizer. Mainly used for for safety in case of a tire blowout, but it will help with some degree in handling.
3. Take a short trip and test the handling(especially with passing trucks).
4. If needed(I think you will) add a rear trackbar to stop the "tail from wagging the dog" with trucks passing you.
5. Take several trips and evaluate whether you need to upgrade your shocks to FSD for a smooth ride.

I did all the above over a 3 year period plus the CHF and I can now drive one handed If I choose to do so. Very happy and drives like a dream.
Please bear in mind, this applied to my 2016 coach. The chassis started changing mid 2017 and also with 2020-2021 model years.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
You haven't given us enough information:
Are you buying new or used?
Which chassis size is it? (there have been 2 on 31UL's, 18K and 22K)
If used have there been any chassis/suspension mods?
If used what year, 2017 and prior the Cheap Handling Fix can be done.

For the "Tail Wagging the Dog" you want a rear Trac Bar installed. For decent tracking you need to find your sweet spot for tire PSI, start around 90. For safety and and easier steering wheel response you want a steering stabilizer installed.

I am looking at used coaches. I'd like to get the 22,000 chassis. I've gone through all suspension upgrades on my current C. Trac bar, alignment, shocks, sway bars and steering stabilizer. The thing that concerned me is that in looking at the 2017 model brochure it states that it only has a 190 inch wheelbase. Other years seem to be at 228. was that a misprint or were there actually different models with different wheelbases? The 228 wheelbase should handle better than the 190.
woodted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodted View Post
I am looking at used coaches. I'd like to get the 22,000 chassis. I've gone through all suspension upgrades on my current C. Trac bar, alignment, shocks, sway bars and steering stabilizer. The thing that concerned me is that in looking at the 2017 model brochure it states that it only has a 190 inch wheelbase. Other years seem to be at 228. was that a misprint or were there actually different models with different wheelbases? The 228 wheelbase should handle better than the 190.

Not a misprint. They have had two different chassis under those 31UL's. A friend of mine who had an 18k chassis said he would have rather had the 22K. The wheel size is a dead give away to chassis rating (the rear axles are different).
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #9

Woodted, Please refer to my first and last sentences. The 228" wheelbase should ride better. They made the change for the 2018 model year. I use to have at 33' coach on a 228" wheelbase. After the improvements I made on my 2016 32' 190" wheelbase it handles and rides better then the older coach.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #10

I also have a 2018 31UL and agree the longer wheelbase is much better. When I bought the coach last March it had the front steering stabilizer, got the dealer to throw in the rear track bar. I'm very happy with the drive. Keep in mind if you're in heavy wind there's nothing you can add to cure that, you just need to slow down. I did just add Koni shocks all around, and Sumo springs on the front (have to spend money somewhere). As noted earlier you can't do the CHF on a 2018 or later model, suspension was changed.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote