Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Precept 31UL experiences?

Hi, all! We are considering purchasing a 2016 Precept 31UL.

I would love to hear your positive and negative experiences with them. do you still recommend it? How has the kitchen floor plan worked out? Would you go with a Winnebago instead?

Thanks in advance, for your help!
narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #2

Hi Narnia. We have the same year and model. The floorplan has worked out nicely for two people and we have stayed in ours months at a time. This year we probably were in the precept about six months. My wife bought a cutting board that attached to the range top that adds some counter space. All of the entry level motorhomes will have a few problems. I've heard from major to minor but maybe the 2016 you're looking at is debugged.

I would bet an entry level coaches suffer from the same little problems. Winnebago Vista is a similar coach as precept. But if I had the $$$$$, I would go with a higher end unit tiffin or higher end winnego or maybe Fleetwood. But the precept stacks up well on the low end with a lot of bang for the buck. FYI, jayco went to longer wheelbase and tires in 2017 which should result in better ride and handling. But hey, a good price on a nice used unit is a big equalizer.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

We really like the floor plan of ours. We haven’t had too many issues with it. However, one thing to consider is that it has an 18,000 pound chassis and we are pretty much at the maximum with weight when. we load it up with full fuel, propane, all the stuff i looks to take and about 25% of fresh water for on the road breaks. But we manage with precise weight management, and enjoy the coach.
TexasRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #4

Precept 31UL

We just purchased a used 2016 two weeks ago. We have not been traveling yet but have spent our time getting familiar with the operation and checking things over. I found the front end needed lubed. It should have been done at 15000 but we have 19000 and it clearly was not performed. Probably not uncommon.
I found some small voids in the sealant around the shower skylight, tv antenna and some other places on the roof. Jayco said to use Dicor to fix. The rain gutter sealant on the driver’s side has pulled away from the body in several places and Jayco said to use a Quad sealant to repair. The biggest thing I have noted while driving it home (125 miles) and to a couple of local places is that it handles well. Ours has a steering stabilizer that the previous owner installed. I have no handling issues when being passed by semi trucks. Good luck
MSR635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #5

Welcome to the JOF. I believe the 2016 model Precepts came with the Girard tankless HW system. I know mine did and it did not work out well for us. Do a search on this forum and you will find a lot of reading material on this subject. There are two camps - those that learned to live with it and those that didn’t. I reside in the latter and had it swapped out for the Truma Comfort model and my DW and I are now extremely happy. One other thing to consider is the opposing slides and how much room you have when they are in because that is what it will be like when you’re going down the road. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

Wink Some issues, but overall good

We really like our "16" UL, mostly for the space it has. We spend summers out and it gives us nice room for storing clothes, food, etc. We especially like the icemaker. Nice feature. However, like most people have recorded, the unit has had it's issues. We replaced the furnace motherboard because of poor design letting water come from above, basically unobstructed. The "water on demand system" works well for us. But we do not really dry camp. If that is your objective, I'd stay clear of it. Poor design on the outer rear tires and getting air in to them. Valve stem positioning stinks. Even tire/truck people hate it after I pull in for help. We did put on a super steer rear stabilizer after reading this forum. It helped greatly and no longer bothered by passing trucks and most winds.
Even after some of these flaws, we still enjoy the unit and consistently receive compliments from anyone that peeks inside or just walks by. The 32' is great to get in and out of RV parks, gas stations, etc. We find it maneuvers nicely. Captain chairs are a bit of an issues as my wife is 5'4" and can not reach the pedals unless she is propped forward and raises the seat. Another poor design for shorter people. Ok, I'm done. Enjoy whatever you decide to do.
megalucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

Megalucky, if your wife has problems reaching the pedals it's probably because your seat base was installed backwards. The base has a 2" offset so by unbolting seat and turning the seat base around you can now be 4" closer to the pedals.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #8

2018 Precept 31ul

We have a 2018 Precept and love the floor plan. It’s great when friends come to visit as we’re parked. I would recommend installing the dual recliners instead of the couch. One caution I have is to be sure to make sure the kitchen cabinet is attached securely to the slide wall. Look closely at the amount of gap between the counter and the backsplash, with the slide both in and out. If you see a gap with the slide in, it will indicate that the cabinet is pulling loose from the wall. Good luck to you and enjoy your Precept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnia View Post
Hi, all! We are considering purchasing a 2016 Precept 31UL.

I would love to hear your positive and negative experiences with them. do you still recommend it? How has the kitchen floor plan worked out? Would you go with a Winnebago instead?

Thanks in advance, for your help!
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #9

+2 on Vicrs comment on seat base. If it's still a problem after being fixed the horizontal seat rails can be moved forward by unscrewing a few bolts and using other holes on the rails. DW. Is 5'2 and she can drive now.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #10

There is a youtube video on how to fix the seat. Install 125-degree valve extenders on the rear tires.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #11

Thanks all for the information and tips on the seat fix. Just got my 31UL back from a repair shop to address a few fixes. I had them look at the seat configuration based on your comments. Mechanic said he was able to unbolt and move it forward about three inches. That did the trick. Wife can now reach the pedals w/o assistance. Yes!!, finally some driving relief on those long trips. Thanks again and Happy New year! Safe travels.
megalucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #12

Goods news and safe travels.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #13

We LOVE our 2017 31UL. Just 2 of us and opposing slides do the trick. Tankless water heater leaves a lot to be desired especially in cold weather. Wastes a lot of H2o until HOT for a shower.
beegee1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #14

We have a 2017 31 Ul. Bought it to snow bird which we did for 3 months immediately after purchase. Everyone talks about handling a big rig and after we arrived in Fla from PA we invested in the Safety Plus stabilizer system, tracking bars etc. the whole works. Makes it so much safer if a wheel was to blow out, and when big trucks pass you

The layout is perfect. Like the 3 bears. Not too big to park or too small to store all your stuff - just right! Love the pull out counter. Have been able to keep my appliances out by the stove. We have a memory foam topper so haven’t slept directly on the mattress. Used the electric bed up front once for a visitor who found it airy and comfortable. The double refrigerator has room to spare. We have had 5 RVs so I knew what I was looking for when we picked this one out.
We also added a lot of extras like a ladder on the back that they discontinued on this model year when they made huge changes from the 2016s.

Our second snow bird year was to near Phoenix, AZ. We loved it here so much that we have decided to stay for good. Consequently we are going to be listing our home on wheels soon to go back to tiny class c for weekend trips. Anyone looking for a cream puff just let me know
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #15

Where did you purchase your theater seats for the 31 UL?
We want to remove our couch.
icantpickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #16

We still have couch. I like to curl upon it
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #17

We love our 2016 Jayco 31 UL. We had 2 years of warranty work finished to get everything right, the floor plan is superb and it drives great. We have now made 8 trips across the USA. Going again this summer and are now replacing the front air conditioner after warranty so $1500.00 out of pocket but thats the norm if you travel in the heat of summer. The Manteca Trailers service center in California did a great job so far and we will probably keep this unit for another 5-10 years and just plain wear it out.
Good luck on your purchase and enjoy America

Tom
2016 Precept 31 UL
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by suscamper View Post
We have a 2017 31 Ul. Bought it to snow bird which we did for 3 months immediately after purchase. Everyone talks about handling a big rig and after we arrived in Fla from PA we invested in the Safety Plus stabilizer system, tracking bars etc. the whole works. Makes it so much safer if a wheel was to blow out, and when big trucks pass you

The layout is perfect. Like the 3 bears. Not too big to park or too small to store all your stuff - just right! Love the pull out counter. Have been able to keep my appliances out by the stove. We have a memory foam topper so haven’t slept directly on the mattress. Used the electric bed up front once for a visitor who found it airy and comfortable. The double refrigerator has room to spare. We have had 5 RVs so I knew what I was looking for when we picked this one out.
We also added a lot of extras like a ladder on the back that they discontinued on this model year when they made huge changes from the 2016s.

Our second snow bird year was to near Phoenix, AZ. We loved it here so much that we have decided to stay for good. Consequently we are going to be listing our home on wheels soon to go back to tiny class c for weekend trips. Anyone looking for a cream puff just let me know
suscamper makes mention of adding a rear roof access ladder to there 2017 31UL.
We recently purchased a used 2018 that does not have a ladder either.
Has anyone installed a rear ladder on a 2018? What manufacture/model ladder did you use and any special notes on the install?

Thanks
Rick B.
Finemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finemess View Post
suscamper makes mention of adding a rear roof access ladder to there 2017 31UL.
We recently purchased a used 2018 that does not have a ladder either.
Has anyone installed a rear ladder on a 2018? What manufacture/model ladder did you use and any special notes on the install?

Thanks
Rick B.
I replaced the original ladder with a duplicate from jayco, sorry I don't remember the mfg. But my .02cents is to purchase a separate ladder and use it. The installed ladder is woefully inadequate for much weight with the mounting at some points just into fiberglass. DW has used it but at 200lbs I will not. I even beefed up the bottom mounting with a metal backing plate.