Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #21

A lot has changed w/ this particular model. Chassis rating (from 18k pounds), tire size (from 19.5”), and wheelbase (from 190”) among them. Now also on the revised F53 everybody also benefits from thicker sway bars, which used to be a post-sale upgrade. I’m hopeful my experience is a good one; I expect it will drive well.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #22

We have a 2015 Precept 35UP w/sofa. Most comfortable sofa we ever sat on. It is long, not a sleeper (jackknife) sofa, single 6 footer could sleep on it.
GVStaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #23

I own 2016 31ul bought brand new. Had a Thor Ace before that, it was terrible!!
We're in our 4th year of full time and love it!! So far we've had minimal problems which required the dealership but mostly I take care of things myself.
We are very happy with this coach! Plenty of room for 2 and tons of storage, great value and great features for the money!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:58 PM   #24

I own a 2016 Jayco Alante 31AL. We love it. Moved up from a 26' Thor Axis. Ours has the V10 engine and yours will have the monster V8. Check out Super Steer web site and find the video about them redoing a F53 chassis. Yes the Jayco something ride has upgraded sway bar. but really not enough. The other RVer's recommend the Safety Steer Steering dampened and I highly recommend also the Trac bar, big help. The shocks are part of there package and they are made by Bilstein but to Ford specs not Bilstein. Remember Bilstein builds performance shocks so they will ride a little hard compared to Koni's. Yes I upgraded the Sway bars. But I think the best bang for your buck Is steering dampened, Trac bar and Sumo Springs. Truthfully Ford 250, 350, 450, F53 all have a dead spot in the steering box and the dampened and Trac bar do a great job putting g a bandaid on that problem.
Any Questione ? mpmicikas@gmail.com
Old 04-21-2021, 11:28 PM   #25

We bought a used 2020 31UL with 7k miles. We just returned from a 4 week / 5k miles trip (AZ to Florida keys) and have had 3 other shorter trips. After close to 8k miles we’ve had no issues with driving it. I did put a Roadmaster steering stabilizer on it which made it easier to track straight. After the FL trip I’m considering the sway bars to help with wind.... but otherwise it was fine (we drove anywhere from 4 to 7 hours on our travel days).

As for the theatre seats... I would agree that they’re more comfortable than the sofa option but they’re a long way from my LaZBoy.

You’ll love your new rig. Safe travels.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
We bought a used 2020 31UL with 7k miles. We just returned from a 4 week / 5k miles trip (AZ to Florida keys) and have had 3 other shorter trips. After close to 8k miles we’ve had no issues with driving it. I did put a Roadmaster steering stabilizer on it which made it easier to track straight. After the FL trip I’m considering the sway bars to help with wind.... but otherwise it was fine (we drove anywhere from 4 to 7 hours on our travel days).

As for the theatre seats... I would agree that they’re more comfortable than the sofa option but they’re a long way from my LaZBoy.

You’ll love your new rig. Safe travels.
Great report....did you get the V10 or V8 version?

MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMaine View Post
Great report....did you get the V10 or V8 version?
2020’s were the Ford F53 chassis with a 6.7L V10.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Here is a picture of mine. I have another 9 or so inches to the right of the power wheel.
@Mike-NM, Don’t mean to hi-jack the thread but... looks like you put diamond plate floor in the bin. I’m assuming that was part of the auto-reel upgrade? Did you do anything to your other bins to reinforce them from sagging? I’m getting ready to reinforce mine and would rather not re-invent the wheel (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eas-85089.html)

Also another question for those of you that have the travel map in your post signatures: how do you do that?
Old 04-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
Also another question for those of you that have the travel map in your post signatures: how do you do that?
Here you go !

Visited States

Old 04-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #30

I have 2020 31ul. Love it. Zero issues and 10000 miles. 15 trips so far. I did seal AC vents. Add built-in surge protector. This has lots of quality upgrades for the cost. Plenty of room. Only wish I had recliners instead of sleeper couch. I have not and will not never use it. Probably will order the recliners and sell couch unless I can find someone to swap with.
TexasPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:09 AM   #31

Hi , dose anyone know what is new for 2022 on the 31ul
rgagnon544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:45 AM   #32

2015 31 UL. I’ve modified ours a bit but we like it. 4 years in (5th summer). Fold out couch was uncomfortable as either couch or bed. I bought aftermarket RV recliners which are 1000% better! Safety Steer, sway bar adjustment, tires at 85 lbs solved wandering issues.
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgagnon544 View Post
Hi , dose anyone know what is new for 2022 on the 31ul
Yes, higher MSRP...

Old 04-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #34

I put diamond plate and a tub in my wet bay for the water power reel. That is about it. I have not had any issues with sagging but now that I have read a few suggestions I may place in the other larger storage areas three or four wood strips for bracing in an x, =, or /// formation and place plywood on top to spread out any load.
Attached Thumbnails
wetbay tub 2014 Jayco Precept.jpg   wetbay 2014  Jayco Precept.jpg  
Old 04-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #35

Sofa 👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Anybody have the sofa instead of the theater seats? How do you guys like the sofa?
The wife and I have the sofa and hate it it’s not very comfortable. We want to replace it with recliners as the grandkids would prefer to sleep on that instead of the air mattress sofa bed.
18PRECEPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18PRECEPT View Post
The wife and I have the sofa and hate it it’s not very comfortable. We want to replace it with recliners as the grandkids would prefer to sleep on that instead of the air mattress sofa bed.
When we were searching for ours the vast majority of them had the sofa. It was hard to find one with the theater seats yet the majority opinion is that the sofa is not comfortable.

I can see grandkids sleeping on the recliners but I think the sofa bed is more practical for most families. All a matter of preference I guess.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
Please read all the reviews about Precept 31 UL. I wish I had before pulling the trigger. Especially put a search in Jayco forum for “Jayco Precept 31 UL”
“steering problems.”
If not make sure you take the coach for a drive on interstate at highway speeds, not just just around town.
Good luck, be safe.
I did the search and unless I’m missing something these posts are from years ago.

There are so many factors that affect steering and handling that need to be considered. I agree with your advice to take it for a drive but even after doing so you might have issues if you’re not loaded properly, have tire pressure set incorrectly, have alignment or tire balance issues, etc.

I found through experience that the F53 is a different beast depending on all those factors but it can be tamed. Not unique to the 31UL by any means.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #38

Had theater seats in my 2019 Redhawk. Loved it. When I upgraded to a 2021 Precept it had a sofa installed. Instead of spending $$$$$ to repalce it I Bought a $20 otoman from Walmart. Glad I did. also gained storage in the otoman
Gwhaarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #39

On another note, I bought a brown C-shaped accent table with a wood top that I place between the two captains chairs. It has USB charging ports and an outlet. The cord is long enough to reach the passenger side outlet. I travel with it and keep it in the bedroom. When I am setting up I place it between the captains chairs. Works wonders when I am sitting in the driver or passenger captains chairs watching TV. I also bought a folding ottoman that works well instead of replacing the couch. All the comforts of home while on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
55AB0FF6-517F-4210-A9AB-410B75CD2B94.jpg  
Mike-NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #40

Well ... I'm told my unit is actually built at this point. However, its also supposedly in the lot in Elkhart w/ another 199 motorized units waiting on a part(s). Dealer can't tell what part it is; for all we know it could be a fridge or a toilet or foam for seat cushions.

So - I'm still in a holding pattern. I'm hopeful that whatever part they're waiting on comes soon, else why would they build these to have them sit for extended periods of time ... at least that's the logic I'm running w/.

One piece of good news; Jayco motorized DID give me my chassis VIN. It looks like I'm getting a 2021 chassis according to the VIN decoders you can find online. So hopefully some of the teething problems on the F53 earlier runs are past me at this point.