Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Precept 31UL Television set up

Aloha to all Precept owners, getting our 16 precept 31UL on the 3rd of May and need to know what methods are being used for proper television reception while traveling coast to coast. I understand it is satellite ready but what else needs to be purchased and in addition what are your experiences with Dish, or other carriers ???
Netflix???
Local news ???
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Congratulations on your purchase. We have a 2015 31ul and really enjoy it, as you will.
Dealer just installed roof mount dish auto find. We went with Dish service since you can start and stop when you want without penalty. As far as equipment, you will need the satellite dome,
Cable box and service package. We had two cable boxes installed, one for the main tv and one that will feed both the bedroom and outside tv's.

Safe travels.

Travelman
Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 AM   #3

I have the Winegard Travl'r automatic dish on our Precept and use Directv service. I wanted HD so this dish was only option for Directv. I use Directv because I can mirror the same service I have in my house for $5 a month extra. Pretty good deal as far as the RV goes.

If you already have Directv in your home you only need the dish and a satellite box for the RV. A friend of mine simply takes his house box and puts in camper when he goes out.

All Precepts are factory wired for a dish. They also have the needed switching gear inside too. I can't recommend stronger you have the dish put in the deal when you buy the RV. Have it installed by dealer too as they do many and know what it takes.

One thing most of us forget until we need it is to get an app in your phone to assist you with locating satellites as you set-up camp. I have had to move 4 or 5 feet a few times to see around a tree. With my phone app I can tell if anything is blocking signal before setting the leveling feet down. The app was free and saves a lot of time.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

Which app did you get and will it work with Dish network as well.
travelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #5

There are several apps that will do the job but I selected one called Satellite Director.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ellitedirector

It works very well but you should practice with it a little in your yard before needing it. It uses GPS and your phone camera so after you select the "bird" you want to locate you just hold phone up and move around until you see the satellite in the picture. Once the bird is in frame it is easy to see any obstacles that might be in the line of sight.

Satellite Director finds all satellites used for TV broadcast. You will need to know name of bird and position in sky. Easy info to learn online. The app has a list of common birds you can select from.

I found that all the Directv birds are pretty close to each other so locating one will cover them all in a campground. If one is in clear view the others should be as well.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

wondermn1 - to answer your other questions, local news will be hard to get on any satellite service because the local stations only come into a few counties near the home location. Satellite locals are only spot broadcast so getting southern Nevada news in South Dakota is not possible. Best bet for local news camping will be online or newspaper.

The TVs in my 2015 Precept are not smart TVs so Netflix does not work. I can, however, plug a laptop into the TVs via HDMI wire and get Netflix if WiFi in campground is good enough.

Do not forget that your Precept will have an over the air antenna so getting local TV stations works fine. Depending on where we are camping, I may not even put satellite dish up! The local stations have all we need because we didn't go camping to watch TV anyway!!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

mowdoc, We are traveling with a 13 year old so my guess it the Televisions will get used as adult conversations only interest teens on a temporary basis. We are getting a quote on a winegard road trip T4 dome with the 2 boxes 1- for living room and a shared unit for Bedroom/outside as travelman recommended. We are Hoping the quote comes in today as time is getting close.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #8

That set-up sounds great and will fill your bill no problem. Once you get the new rig we will help you learn how to make TV work while moving (if you don't know now). Jayco sends new coaches out with TV disabled while moving. You may find it very handy to add a cheap DVD player so the kids can watch their movies on the road without using the in dash radio. Leaves you free to drive and you won't have to do a workaround to get the in dash unit to do this.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #9

Aloha Moedoc, Thanks for the heads up. Would the dealer that installs the Dome and receivers know how to enable the mobile viewing and as far as watching
movies from DVD how would you hook up a dvd player to the existing ??
thanks in advance for the info
Old 04-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #10

Since watching TV while moving is against the law in most areas, your dealer may not fix this for you. However, a good dealer might point to the wire so you can cut it yourself. Once you get your rig and the kids are watching TV as you drive, be sure to pull blinds so law enforcement won't see the TV on as you pass.

To enable the electric socket while driving, first locate the socket the TV is plugged into by following the power wire. This socket will be under the counter near the TV and you may have to remove a drawer or two to get to it. This socket will have a normal romex (white coated set of power wires) that carry power to the socket. There will be a second romex from the inverter. There will also be TWO separate 16ga wires that carry a 12v dc signal from the ign. switch. All these wires will be going into the socket where TV is plugged.

All you need to do is disconnect or simply cut the two 12v wires so the ign. switch signal does not reach the socket. Do this with ign. switch in off position and no power will be present as you work.

Plug the new DVD player into this same socket after you modify it. Connect the DVD player to TV with a HDMI wire. The TV will have one or two extra places you can connect a HDMI wire.

To watch TV while moving after the mod you just turn on the inverter and go. The TV and DVD player will have power as you drive so no generator or shore power needed!

To further explain - - the socket Jayco put in your coach for the TV is equipped with a 12v dc solenoid that pulls the 120v ac circuit open when the ign. switch supplies a 12v signal to it. What you are doing with this mod is removing the wires that supply the "kill" signal so socket stays connected to the inverter at all times. Other than maintaining constant, uninterrupted power to the TV socket, no other items are effected with this mod.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #11

We will play the dvd while driving and use a portable "dish" antenna when set up at a rv site. A couple places we really like have over hanging live oaks with lots of moss. We were afraid if our antenna was roof mounted we could have reception problems at times. Now I can easily place the antenna away from the coach where there is a hole to the South and get my dish tv.

The broadcast antenna works very well IMO, short few day locations I will probably not even use the dish network unless I paid that month already.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #12

Know it has been a while since your post but I'll ask anyway. Just bought a used 2015 31UL and want to find the sat prep connections put on all precepts for roof satellite. Can't find them!!!!

Ron
Nitroxron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #13

Get yourself an amazon fire-stick and a subscription to Netfix. Attach it to your TV's with HDMI. You can download KODI build, Mobdro and Cyberflix app on the fire stick and watch all of the tv, local channels, movies, and shows you want. I also use a VPN IPVANISH for any hackers out there . You will need wifi... most RV parks have them but if the signal is weak or if you are on the road and no wifi set up your hot-spot on your phone (unlimited data plan) and connect the fire-stick to your phone. I can watch just about anything I want at any time. I have a fire-stick on every TV in my coach. Cost of a fire-stick $40.00 versus cost of a satellite dish and subscription....
Old 07-22-2020, 05:20 AM   #14

Just bought and installed a Roku stick from Walmart, about $25.00. Fifteen minute install and subscription and voila! all the TV I can ever watch
wjborow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #15

HDMI Connection endpoint

Our 2015 UL31 has pop-upTV at the dinette. I can see through the window the HDMI connection point at the back of the TV, but it appears to NOT be connected to a cord... If it IS connected, where is the other end, as I want to connect to my computer. TIA!
Pete_Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #16

If I cannot access the back of the TV next to the dinette in our 2015UL, how may I connect the firestick?
Old 02-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #17

HDMI connection .... other end from TV, would be your DVD player. If no HDMI cable.... use a mirror in one hand and the HDMI in the other and "get'r done". Another options, dismount the TV, install HDMI and remount the TV.... easy peasy.

Mark
Old 02-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #18

Depends on the model of the TV. I have 3 HDMI ports. I connected one cable (reaching through the outside of the window) and connected it to my fire stick. The second I connected to the port on the side of the TV but lowering it halfway and reaching down the side. This was then connected to my DVD player.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:16 AM   #19

I have one of those TVs that moves up and down at the touch of a button, and it has an enclosure, a sort of a window box (undoubtedly to keep out the light) so TV is not easy to remove, or even reach the HDMI connection. Additionally, the top is "marble" and when the TV is down, it is flush and tight with no space for a wire...

I think I can reach through window, if I set level just so... haha, since there is THREE HDMI ports, what ELSE should I connect there? I am interested to connect my mac to play youtube...

Anything connected would need to be small enough, and left in place to ride up and down with the TV. It is not clear how other wires, such as power and the red-yellow-white, old-style cables are routed. How would I power the Firestick, since the routing is troublesome?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 02-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #20

The marble top comes off. Lower the TV and the top lifts up. It has two legs that you slide in to keep it in position. There should also be a power connection in the wall. I added a power strip inside the wall and ran my fire stick, DVD and TV to it. Then ran the HDMI cable uptheholetotheleft of the TV "curtain".