Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2022, 05:57 AM   #1

Precept 34G

We are considering purchasing a Precept 34 G. We currently have an Eagle 5er.
We are on our second Jayco 5er and they have been good so far. We have had some problems but nothing major.

My question to all Jayco Class A owners is availability of service and what you do if you breakdown.
I am not concern of getting service done at my local dealer. But when on the road.
Have you ever had a mechanical problem where you were stuck and could not move. Where did you go for service and where did you stay. We travel with our dog so that is something we need to consider.

Have you ever been stuck for any length of time.

The unit we are looking at has the Ford 7.3 gas engine. The specs i have found indicate it has 430 HP and 475 lb-ft.
What kind a fuel range do you get?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #2

Well, I just bought the one we have so I can't comment on it now.

Going home from picking ours up I got about 8 mpg but I think that it's not broken in yet it's as good as it going to get and with the 80 gallon gas tank I can go pretty far.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #3

If you purchase new you get one year of Ford roadside assistance. Cell phone coverage can be an issue. We've got 22,000 miles on our '16 Precept that we purchased new and no breakdowns. The best thing is to do preventative maintenance. We've had work done to the coach while on the road. Last year (on a 5500 mile trip) a rock chip grew to a giant crack and had the windshield replaced by a mobile guy at an RV park, I found a screw in my left front tire while in Gunnison, CO and had it repaired at a tire shop in town and this year while out on a 2 month trip I noticed (should have before we left) the the outside tread on both front tire were "scrubbing" and got new front tires installed at a tire shop in Eugene, OR. Minor thing I usually fix myself (retired IBEW Electrician). Carry tools and misc. stuff like duct tape, electrical tape, cable ties, various lubricants ATF and oil, a battery jumper and a gallon of antifreeze.
Be aware that Ford has installed inferior spark plug wires on the new V-8's and there may be a recall out to replace them. Lot's of issues with those spark plug wires as documented on the Jayco Precept and Alante Facebook group.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #4

Here's the photo of the plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1717.jpg  
Bernheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #5

Thanks
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:54 PM   #6

The only significant powertrain issue we’ve had on our 2019 34G is a front wheel bearing went bad. Took a while to figure out what it was, I thought for a few thousand miles it was an out of balance tire, but we drove it to a Ford dealership and they gave us a loaner car for the duration of the repair. They repaired it at no cost to us. The only hard thing was finding a Ford dealership that handled the F 53 chassis in Florida. Very few of them will handle large RVs. It took them a couple of weeks to do the repair.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:48 PM   #7

Here in Henderson, Nevada we ended up at the Lincoln dealer when the master cylinder went out on the brakes on our Greyhawk. Like in Florida, dealers that can handle these large rigs are few. None of the Ford dealers could do it. Next thing to find is a tire store that can rotate and even replace tires.
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #8

You need to be in the mindset that the coach is on a truck chassis. It's not a car or a pickup so "The Ford Dealership" will be of no help. You need to take it to a truck shop. Also, there are plenty of tire shops that are set up to work on large trucks.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:11 PM   #9

Mine was still under the Ford power train warranty so believe me I found a Ford repair center.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:33 PM   #10

I believe the 7.3l in a super duty has 450hp, the F-53 rv chassis is rated at 350hp. Torque ratings are about the same though. I'm seeing around 8 mpg pulling a car/trailer.
johnsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC757 View Post
The only significant powertrain issue we’ve had on our 2019 34G is a front wheel bearing went bad. Took a while to figure out what it was, I thought for a few thousand miles it was an out of balance tire, but we drove it to a Ford dealership and they gave us a loaner car for the duration of the repair. They repaired it at no cost to us. The only hard thing was finding a Ford dealership that handled the F 53 chassis in Florida. Very few of them will handle large RVs. It took them a couple of weeks to do the repair.
This was during COVID and the dealer was having trouble getting parts delivered like everyone else.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsat View Post
I believe the 7.3l in a super duty has 450hp, the F-53 rv chassis is rated at 350hp. Torque ratings are about the same though. I'm seeing around 8 mpg pulling a car/trailer.
This is what everyone I talk to is getting around 8-8.5 mpg.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote