Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #1

Precept 35 US front end alignment specs

We are nearing the end of a 90 day snowbird journey of around 2200 miles and have concluded that I need to have the front end checked/aligned by a competent shop.

I have the SafeTPlus steering stabilizer and completed the CHF. On good roads I can take my hands of the steering wheel for a few seconds and it seems to track center of lane well, then it will dart either right or left. There seems to be a delay between correcting the direction and the front end responding.

In essence the driver is constantly see-sawing the steering wheel which gets to be tiring after a few hours. Tires are at 100 psi all the way around so all the “usual” minor stuff has been attended to. At the moment DW is driving north on I59 in Mississippi, asphalt road but the wandering continues.

I am looking for actual good alignment data on the F53 24k long wheelbase chassis, even better if you have a Precept 35US and know the correct real world specifications for toe, caster and camber.

I would also like to find a competent shop in southwest Ohio, central KY or eastern IN based on your personal experience.

By way of research I have read many forums and found many comments on F53 alignment but so much of the info was based on different variations of the F53 chassis that I found it not useful for me specifically.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:05 AM   #2

Nick, look in the specs. Paul Miller Ford has a truck shop in Lexington KY. Also in Lexington is S &S tire truck shop on Old Frankfort Pike. A guy named John there will align to specs. I don't know your year of coach and 2016 manual was all I had. Also if you go to S &S I do NOT recommend the tire service that is located in different bldg at same location but I was pleased with alignment. I had them mount konis and do the rear chf too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 16_F53_F59.pdf (200.1 KB, 33 views)
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 AM   #3

Hey Hawkster,

I'm familiar with Paul Miller Ford, not so much the other guy but I will question them before committing.

As for specs, that depends on where you look and sometimes even the model year. Ford publishes a spec but on the IRV2 forums there are differing views on Ford's spec when the F53 is build for a motorhome. Found good info but I'm hoping to find an owner that has a good experience with alignment.

It drove better yesterday than it did on Sunday. We did over 400 miles per day, yesterday it was not as tiring and I was able to drive one handed for long stretches. I think roadway conditions affect the drivability more than I originally thought it could.

Will be back in Cincy today and I'll call Fuller Ford who was supposed to do the original alignment before I took ownership.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #4

Good luck Nick. Since my unit is 2016 18k chassis I used the spec (motorhome) on the attachment I sent you. It is different than f53 chassis specs for alignment. My experience is with this chassis. The tech told me to get to this spec he added two Ford shims, a one degree and a one and a half degree. I will say it drives much better with less slop in the steering. But at the same time I added koni shocks and rear chf. Sounds like your coach is pretty good being able to drive one handed and 400 miles at a time.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:53 AM   #5

Hawkster,

Thank you for the specs. I did not see a spec for Toe. Lots of good information, I'll print that and put it in my Precept file.

Overall we traveled 3 days to get home, just over 940 miles. Day two and three seems like there was less play in the steering, maybe I was just getting used to it. DW commented on Day 3 that I didn't seem to be see sawing the wheel as much.

I may be overthinking my problem but it feels like if I could get the slack out of the steering my problem would be minimized. Too much play before the tires move right or left.

I'll call Fuller Ford here in Cincy today and see if they keep the specs when they did the alignment. To me, the untrained shade tree mechanic I would think alignment would make a difference between empty and loaded.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #6

My coach is pretty good except in wind now. My next step is a rear Trac bar. I did this experiment I heard the other day and got at the rear of the coach and pushed sideways. I could create a lot of movement that went all the way to the front. Just like when your stopped and a car passes at road speed. A lot of movement. I also believe the toad has an adverse affect as it is wagging at the back and catching wind also. Most of the potential upgrades make improvements. The goal is to find a sweet spot.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Hey Hawkster,

I'm familiar with Paul Miller Ford, not so much the other guy but I will question them before committing.

As for specs, that depends on where you look and sometimes even the model year. Ford publishes a spec but on the IRV2 forums there are differing views on Ford's spec when the F53 is build for a motorhome. Found good info but I'm hoping to find an owner that has a good experience with alignment.

It drove better yesterday than it did on Sunday. We did over 400 miles per day, yesterday it was not as tiring and I was able to drive one handed for long stretches. I think roadway conditions affect the drivability more than I originally thought it could.

Will be back in Cincy today and I'll call Fuller Ford who was supposed to do the original alignment before I took ownership.
We are getting ready to head to Wilmington in about 3 weeks from Bushnell FL. First long hull for our 2018 Precept. A little leary about the trip because it seems to be effected by road conditions such as ruts in the slow lane. On a smooth surface seems to drive great.
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

Well, the local Ford dealer changed their alignment machines 7 months back and have no record of my alignment.

Hawkster, do you recall your caster settings?
Old 04-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #9

No, but I gave him a copy of the specs and specified 4.6 degrees caster. That's when he said he would have to purchase shims. But if you look at specs I have the 18k chassis. Yours may be different.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #10

Hawkster

Talked to Fuller Ford, located in downtown Cincy to set up an alignment. I have your specs and also found others from Ford. Comments on different forums indicate close to 5 degrees of caster seems to work well.

Did they adjust toe on yours?

Found a lot of comments about getting each wheel weighed and adjusting air pressure for the weight per wheel. Right now mine is at 100psi, up from 95 that I ran last year. Tires are pretty stiff at 100, not a lot of give. We have a 500 mile trip in early June so I may try 90 on the front tires. My alignment isn't scheduled until the day after we get back from this trip.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #11

Hey Nick. I didn't see any toe specs and didn't discuss it with the alignment shop. Your coach has 22.5 tires and I believe can take more air. My 19.5 do ok between 85 and 90. Haven't done the weighing but putting on a Trac bar next week.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
Hey Nick. I didn't see any toe specs and didn't discuss it with the alignment shop. Your coach has 22.5 tires and I believe can take more air. My 19.5 do ok between 85 and 90. Haven't done the weighing but putting on a Trac bar next week.
Been following you alignment post. Currently in Lebanon OH. We also came out of Bushnell in May and will be returning in Oct. Would appreciate it if you could update us on the alignment and who you used in the area.
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #13

No problem. I used Sumerel Truck Service in Newport, KY. The alignment shop manager is Mark and knows his stuff, not just large trucks but also RV front ends, including the F53 chassis. We just got back from Nashville, IN today after a short trip check ride to test my newly installed trackbar. No more tail wagging on my 35US. Big trucks don’t push me around on the interstate but occasionally I can feel a gentle shove when they are close to passing me. I assume that is the pressure wave off his truck. Pretty much one handed driving now and DW is OK to share the driving chores.

859-261-4613. 700 Brighton St. in Newport. Ask for Mark in the alignment shop.