Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2021, 08:37 PM   #1

Precept 36a - lost rear view camera

Need some help. Lost my rear view outside of Ouray today. (Highway 50 heading west was a mess btw). It had been working great. Side views are still working.

Went behind the dash of the radio and checked for a fuse. Found a few but none that was in that circuit. Tried to follow the wires. Can’t find one. I’m sure it has to be a fuse down stream. Had voltage out of the radio and I know the input is good because of the side views.

Any ideas where to look on a 2020 Precept 36a or similar?

I searched. Nothing has helped.
apgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:31 AM   #2

Just a thought, did you check the connection from the rear camera to your camera controller, which is probably behind your radio. The fuse that feeds the controller must be OK as you still have the side cameras.
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #3

I checked the connections to the radio and everything was good.

I was thinking there must be an inline fuse in the camera power line, but I sure can’t find one.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:04 AM   #4

There is an inline fuse for the camera controller but if it was bad, no cameras would function. There are also "trigger" wires that turn the respective cameras on/off.
If you haven't already get a wiring diagram for you cameras from the manufacturer. I have uploaded mine as an example.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf csw3007_owners_manual.pdf (187.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 07-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #5

Thank you that was very helpful. I did find that fuse and it was fine. All other connections are good too.

I’ve checked the 12 volt input and there is power.

I’m out of options. I’m worried the camera has just went bad.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:36 AM   #6

Just a thought....Its early and my thought process may be flawed but you may be able to unplug a known functional side camera line on the camera controller and plug into the rear camera connection on the camera controller. This would remove the rear camera from the system. If the side camera now works, and shows on the monitor something in the rear camera/coax line is amiss. If the side camera does not work, its could be the camera controller. This at least would narrow down the possibilities.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #7

Thanks for all of your help. I was thinking about that late last night too. Would be a good way to further narrow down the problem. I really hope it is not the camera. I hate running lines that far. Not hard. Just a pain.

Too bad those connectors are not RCA. I could just connect to the Stereo input.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:23 AM   #8

Voyager makes an Asa to RCA connector adapter. I just found it on Amazon. That would make trouble shooting so much easier.

I may keep one of these on hand in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/ASA-31300006-...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Old 07-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #9

That confirmed it. Switched the side view camera to the rear camera on the controller. It worked. So the controller is good. I just have a bad camera.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #10

Well the journey continues. I pulled the camera off. To make sure it was bad, I plugged it into the controller in the dash. It worked great. So, my issue is the cable between the controller and the camera in the back.

Narrowing it down.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #11

I'm finally getting around to posting how I fixed this. I looked and looked for the video wire that runs from the back cap up to the radio in the dash. It must be buried somewhere in a wire bundle or the wall of the coach. I wasn't able to find it and I spent 2 days looking.

The wire comes down from the camera behind the back cap and out through expanding foam between the frame and the cap. Then, for fun, it goes right back up into the expanding foam never to be found again. About 2 feet of the is wire hang down for you to access....and cut for a splice.

I went to home depot determined to have my rear view camera for the trip home from Colorado.

I bought 60 feet of bulk 14 gauge twisted wire (3 wires - Green, white, and black). I had 10 feet left over when it was all said and done. I cut and delicately striped the camera wire at the back of the bus. You'll have a 50/50 shot of getting the wire that goes to the camera. I guessed wrong initially and had to wire to the other end (I thought the wire at the center would be the one from the camera because, well, logic. Wrong as usual).

That original camera wire contains black, red, white, and shielded grey wire. Its probably 22 gauge or less. Its really delicate so strip it cautiously (which is probably why it failed somewhere in the coach).

I used a crimper and red butt connectors (they technically aren't for 14 guage, but I was able to get them in). Crimped the hell out them to ensure that they wouldn't come lose. Then electrical taped them like a mad man because I didn't have heat shrink.

(Red Butt connectors: https://www.amazon.com/AIRIC-100pcs-...8186379&sr=8-3)

On the original video wire:
red is camera voltage
white is audio (which we don't need)
black is ground
shielded grey is the video (Pull back all of the shielding and cut it off so it doesn't short into your butt connector)

I spliced the new wire in as follows:
Green to Red (I love Christmas)
White to grey (it looked similar)
Black to Black
Cut and taped off the original wire white for the audio

I then, with the help of my 5 year old, routed the new 14 guage wire bundle down the chassis. Zip tying as I went to avoid any tension in the wire. I was also being careful of other wires, exhaust or heat sources, and pinch points. This was the hardest part and just took patience.

I found a gasket running into the cabin under the driver seat and gently pushed the new wire into the cabin. Then I pulled it to the center dash, cut the old wire end connector into the controller, and spliced as before.

Plugged it in and had my camera back. The signal actually seemed to look better too. It may have been my excitement to have the rear view back.

You might ask about not having shielded cable. Well it didn't matter in this application. The twisted wire helps eliminate the voltage interference from the camera power. Although that is even overkill as it is such low power source. I also didn't route it next to anything high voltage.. Honestly, shielded video is kind of a hold over from the 80s. There are definitely times it is needed, but in most applications it just isn't necessary. I had zero noise for the full trip from Colorado to Indiana.

Any future problems will be very easy to visually inspect due to the chassis routing, but I honestly think the 14 gauge will last the life of the coach. I retained all of the original connectors. If I have to replace the controller or the camera down the line it will be plug and play.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:26 PM   #12

Wow!

Thanks for all the information, a little overwhelming. I had hoped it would be a lot easier than this sounds. I’m going to have to take a few days to get in the right mood to tackle this one. Thanks again for all of your help!
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:34 PM   #13

Yeah this was definitely harder than I thought it would be. I took about 6 days spending 30-40 minutes on it.

Good luck and I hope you figure it out.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #14

Thanks for providing the details. I’ve been dealing with the similar problem on my 31UL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apgarrett View Post
The wire comes down from the camera behind the back cap and out through expanding foam between the frame and the cap. Then, for fun, it goes right back up into the expanding foam never to be found again.

I then, with the help of my 5 year old, routed the new 14 guage wire bundle down the chassis.
How did you route the wire from the top of the rear cap down to the chassis?
Old 08-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #15

The wire is ran out of the bottom of the cap right above where the trailer hitch is located. It is a black wire the same diameter as what come out where the camera is located. It's raining at the moment. I'll try and get a picture once it let's up.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #16

Do you get black screen, or blue screen? If Blue, check video cables?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #17

On my 2015 Precept, dealer just put in a Furrion Bluetooth camera. My backup quit working when in reverse, started working when I had emergency flashers on when ascending mountain passes. Extended warranty covered all but $200 deductible.
GVStaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVStaud View Post
On my 2015 Precept, dealer just put in a Furrion Bluetooth camera. My backup quit working when in reverse, started working when I had emergency flashers on when ascending mountain passes. Extended warranty covered all but $200 deductible.
Sounds more like a wiring/ power/ ground issue to me vs bad camera.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
Thanks for providing the details. I’ve been dealing with the similar problem on my 31UL.How did you route the wire from the top of the rear cap down to the chassis?
Here is the picture showing where the camera wire comes out of the end cap:

This is looking up under the chassis. You can see the expanding foam between the cap and the frame where the 'Old' wire came down from the camera. The 'new' side is the wire I spliced into it.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #20

This picture shows the end connector that I cut and striped to splice with my new wire. You can see the video is shielded. White is audio, Red is power, Black is Ground.

Hopefully this helps!